Places to eat in Encinitas

Most Viewed Restaurants in Encinitas

• spartan's Profile Photo

Cafe Ipe Coffee House: A small local specialty coffee house

by spartan Written Mar 17, 2014

If you are looking for a small local specialty coffee house where they serve fresh coffee hand roasted on the premise as well as delicious locally sourced teas, offer a variety of breakfast and lunch dishes made fresh to order, and free WiFi, then Café Ipe is the place for you.

Favorite Dish: I've been here a couple of times and the food as well as the coffee are delicious. The Turkey Sandwich is awesome (turkey breast topped with swiss cheese, avocado, red onion, romaine, seasonal sprouts, mayo and Grey Poupon mustard) and if you want to go simple, the Toasted Onion/Sesame Seed Bagle with butter and jam is a nice treat.

Swami's Cafe: The patio area is interesting

by lmkluque Updated Sep 10, 2013

Swami's Café is located across the street from Yogananda Self-Realization Fellowship, Hernitage, which is locally known as Swami's.

So, It makes sense to open a healthy, organic and earthy place to recharge the body after spending time recharging the spirit. This café is not connected to The Yogananda Self-Realization Fellowship but has a spiritual and a beach patio feel to it that makes it a nice place to go. There are lots of food on offer here that would satisfy the Vegan or Vegetarian as well as anyone else.

Favorite Dish: I'm not particular to "organic" or the political stance offered here, but the smoothie was refreshing I had the Tropical Storm without the mangoes, and papaya and I was happy to see that real bacon for my BLTA was offered and actually the real is less expensive than "mock" bacon.

The next time I'll try the Acai Bowl - Swami's Style. The menu says it is served in a bowl with blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, bananas, strawberries, homemade granola, local fresh bee pollen and coconut on top. That does sound good.

• School Holidays
    • Religious Travel
    • Business Travel

Pannikin Coffee and Tea: An Old Favorite

by lmkluque Updated Sep 10, 2013

Located in the old Santa Fe Depot Railroad Station which was built in 1888, Pannikin has been here since 1968. They also had a store in the Gaslamp Quarter downtown and that is where I first learned about the Pannikin Coffee & Tea. The downtown location had very little in the way of food to offer, but had so many choices in coffees and teas and just that would have had me returning over and over again. Also they had all sorts of fun and interesting and useful accessories that really appeal to me.

The Encinitas Pannikin has all that and also offers pastries, breads and some food as well. They also sell a natural extension of tea; herbs and spices. Of course, there are lovely accessories for your coffee or tea party.

Fair warning, this coffee house does not have Wi-Fi.

Favorite Dish: Indonesian Coffee, Russian Tea and a French Press Coffee pot are my favorites from this coffeehouse.

Oh, I suppose I should be telling you about the food I like to order. Always Café Mocha. At lunch, sometimes Quiche sometimes the Curry Chicken Sandwich, some sort of pastry for breakfast, first choice pan au chocolate, when they have it.

• School Holidays

Ogata: A good choice!

by lmkluque Updated Sep 10, 2013

Laverne, "Rixie" and I planned to meet in Encinitas where she was staying for a few days. She chose this restaurant for our lunch meeting place and I'm glad she did. It was located on the main downtown road in Encinitas, not near, but not too far from the beach. The place is small, but there was some sort of party going on so the place seemed lively.

The décor was, of course Japanese with a little "family owned and run" added. Not sleek and elegant but homey and comfortable.

Favorite Dish: The food was very tasty and there was a lot of it. I ordered the Chicken Teriyaki Bento Box. It came with Rice, Miso Soup & Salad, a few pieces of California roll and Gyoza. They only serve beer and wine and I ordered hot Sake. I enjoyed this restaurant, the service, my meal and the company.

• Business Travel

Native Foods Café: Chef-Crafted Vegan

by BLewJay Updated Jul 25, 2013

Ok, I'll start off by letting you know that I am a die hard "meat-a-tarion", so entering a place like this is foreign to me!!! Having said that, I wholeheartedly recommend Native Foods Café...it's a vegan restaurant serving homemade, fresh food every day of the week and oh boy is it delicious. If you are looking for a healthy alternative to everyday food, then stop in and give Native Foods Café a try.

Favorite Dish: We decided to split a sandwich, so we ordered the Portobello & Sausage Burger (juicy grilled portobellos, homemade Native Sausage Seitan, caramelized onions, pomodoro, sweet roasted garlic, creamy pumpkin seed pesto and mayo) with Native Seasoned Potato Fries and Potato Salad on the side. To wash it down, we had a Jamaica India Pale Ale which was very smooth.

• Beer Tasting

Bistro Soleil: A taste of France in downtown Encinitas

by BLewJay Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant combines a French Provenýale light and aromatic cuisine with a fresh Californian twist. The food was delicious, but the service was very slow.

Favorite Dish: You start off with warm fresh French bread and butter. For dinner, I chose the Lamb Sirloin Steak (roasted lamb sirloin steak served with red wine sauce, crushed potatoes and mushrooms) while LJ had the Salmon Pavý (pan seared salmon with pesto sauce and served with Provenýale stuffed tomatoes and lentils).

Wines that went well with these meals included a Beaujolais Villages Fessy and Domaine Houchart, Provence. Last but not least, for dessert LJ had the Fondant au Chocolat (melting chocolate cake).

• Wine Tasting

• Lostfiniel's Profile Photo

Potato Shack: A local Favorite

by Lostfiniel Written Jun 7, 2006

Driving along the Pacific coast highway in Encinitas you we see an assortment of shops and restaurants but one of my personal favorites is not directly on the highway.....perhaps this is best. Potato Shack, like many places in North County, is laid back and relaxing. The atmospere unbeatable and the food amazing. While maintaining the feel of a small intimate restaurant Potato Shack actually seats up to 140 people with two dining rooms inside and several tables outside in the shade of the trees. A friendly place for both children and dogs everyone will feel welcome. The prices are very affordable considering how large the helpings are. Everything is fresh and you can taste it! Their "man hole cover" pancakes are a sight to see and they do make some mean potatos (although my personal favorite is the biscuits and gravy ;) ) After breakfast or lunch if you want to walk off that meal there is a meditation garden just down the street with some beautiful plants and a breath-taking view of the pacific.

While I fully suggest stopping off at Potato Shack you must be aware of several things. Perhaps most inportantly is the restuarant only takes cash for payment. They do have an ATM machine on the premises but there is a fee attached. Also, it is only open for breakfast and lunch and while they will still serve you if you come right at closing it is best if you get there before 2pm on weekdays and 2:30 on weekends.

The website is http://www.potatoshackcafe.com/ and includes the menu, a map and a game with a coupon at the end as a prize!

Favorite Dish: I love the Biscuits and Gravy myself and they have a great dish with a half order and an egg with potatos.....it is a lot of food but it's very much worth it. Anything you order will taste fresh. Their bread is not something bought from the grocery store and while I am not sure about this I believe they make it themselves. For someone looking for something a little lighter and/or healthier they have a great fruit bowl which surprisingly filled me up without packing on more fat :P

Honey's Bistro & Bakery: Good lunch fare

by depinski Written Jul 4, 2005

The food was very good but the service was terrible. Both orders were wrong. I ordered a Guacamole Turkey Club ... it came without the guacamole. My breakfast came without wheat toast. When I asked the waiter about it I was rudely informed that I should have said something at the couter when I ordered. I talked to the manager and was informed after the manager inquired in the kitchen that there was no more wheat toast.. ok .. i can live with that. They had guacomole so I got that with apologies from the manager. Well, the bad service was only from certain waiters.

I have to say though, that besides the serivce, the food tasted very good. It was a healthy lunch during a day at the beach.

Favorite Dish: The Guacamole Turkey Club was very good ... once I asked to get my guacamole .... initially I just got a Turkey Club.

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.: Watch the game, get a beer ... not much service

by depinski Written Jul 4, 2005

They claim ti have the "Best Pizza in San Diego." Could be true ... the pizza was very good.

Seems like a local hangout where people come to watch the game and get a beer.

Good pizza. Better than I've had in California in a looooong time. The beer was sharp dark and flavorful. Not for those used to drinking Bud light.

The service at this place was lacking. If you have a small party it would be better to find a seat right at the bar instead of a table.

The place was filled with families returning from the beach and kids having pizza while their parents took a relaxing drink of the selection of in house brewed beers.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Pizza Pizza. Nice thick crusts, vast selection of toppings.

• Beer Tasting

Meritage: Delicious, Gourmet Treat

by depinski Updated Jun 27, 2005

I love to cook and consider myself to be pretty good at doing it. I find it relaxing and enjoy it very much. A lot of the time when I eat out I tend to compare what I'm eating to what I can cook myself. If I feel what I just paid for is something I can cook better myself I'm not impressed and tend to be slightly disappointed with the experience.

Most restaurants have pretty standard items on the menu as does Meritage but it is the way in which the chef prepares and presents the meal that sets Meritage apart from the rest. Initially the prices threw me off and I thought this would be another place I was going to disappointed but lucky me, everything turned out perfectly. The presentation, the portions, the taste. This place was very memorable as it's been a while since I've been impressed with food at a restaurant. The portions were sized just right, leaving room for dessert. Presentation was wonderful. Finally, the taste closed the deal. This place was great. My Alaskan Halibut was cooked to perfection, flaky, with a sauce that went with it perfectly. The steak was just under medium and very tender and flavorful unlike most filet mignon cuts I've had at many a steak house. Desserts were also exquisite especially my creme brulee, which perhaps boring, is one of my favorites. My compliments to the chef but also can't forget the very nice and attentive service.

There is a wine bar at the entrance to the restaurant for those that don't want a meal ... something I recommend that you definitely have at Meritage.

Very romantic atmosphere ... bring a date.

Favorite Dish: Filet Mignon: just under medium
    Alaskan Halibut: flaky, very nice sauce
    Creme Brulee: amazing how many places mess it up... Meritage get's it right.
    Mascarpone Cheesecake: yummmmmmy! With raspberry sauce and fresh strawberries.

Pei Wei Asian Diner: A diverse collection of Asian dishes

by BLewJay Updated May 11, 2005

An upbeat, Asian-style bistro created by the P.F. Chang group. They've brought together a collection of dishes from Thailand, Vietnam, Japan, Korea and China.

Favorite Dish: Since there were four of us, we decided to order different entrées and share. We selected the Minced Chicken with Cool Lettuce Wraps (chicken, shiitake mushroom, water chestnut, scallion, spicy soy and iceberg lettuce), Asian Coconut Curry with Shrimp & Brown Rice (green curry coconut sauce, ginger, Thai basil, red bell pepper, onion, long beans), Blazing Noodles with Scallops (tomato black pepper sauce, scallion, snap peas, carrot, cilantro, Thai basil, chow fun noodles) and Pei Wei Spicy Chicken with Brown Rice (chile-vinegar sauce, scallion, garlic, snap peas, carrot).

On our second trip to this location, we ordered a Shrimp with Lobster Sauce Rice Bowl (rice wine garlic sauce, Chinese black beans, white mushroom, scallion, egg, brown rice & shrimp).

• lotionlady's Profile Photo

Too many to mention: Great Sea Food, Mexican Food & Everything Else

by lotionlady Written Feb 22, 2003

I can't just tell you about one particular restaurant. Mexican food is the most popular. From the small taco shops in Leucadia to the larger restaurants in Cardiff, there is something for everyone. You can eat inside or outside at many places. There are only a few chain fast food places. So, if the kids need a Happy Meal, you'll have to look hard, but it's there.

Favorite Dish: I think it would be easier saying what's not my favorite dish. Each restaurant has its specialty.

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo

The Pannikin Encinitas: Cool Coffeeshop!

by butterfly_girl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great coffeehouse to spend a leisurely morning (or afternoon) meeting with friends or reading. It has a nice, laid back atmosphere.

Encinitas Hotels

Latest Encinitas Hotel Reviews

Portofino Inn
Latest: Apr 12, 2014
Best Western Encinitas Inn
Econo Lodge Encintas

Instant Answers: Encinitas

Comments

Encinitas Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Encinitas locals.
Map of Encinitas