Foster City Travel Guide

My lagoon
    by Callavetta

Foster City Things to Do

by Callavetta Written Oct 11, 2003

Leo Ryan Park and the Central Lake provide the centerpiece of the City. Here you will find the Community Center, which offers a plethora of classes and activities for young and old. City tennis courts are located here and windsurfing lessons are offered on the lake. In the summer, Friday night free concerts happen at the amphitheater. Watch for festivals, art and wine fairs and seasonal events.

Leo Ryan Park

by Callavetta Written Oct 11, 2003

With it's 25,000 (approx.) residents, Foster City is a family friendly environment. Built on landfill on the SF Bay, it has been carefully developed to make the most of lagoons and parks. Many organizations do their best to make it a wonderful home to people of all kinds.

• Foster City Hotels

4 Hotels in Foster City

Foster City Hotels

Foster City Restaurants

by Callavetta Updated Apr 4, 2011

I first became aware of Sweet Basil when they left a flyer on my front door; "Free Delivery". My recent addiction to Thai food took us to try the restaurant this week. My first reaction was; how much we would miss if we had this food delivered!

I'm quite sure that they don't deliver the food to your house with the same style as they achieve in the restaurant. The food is simply beautiful. Our shrimp rolls, deep fried marinated jumbo shrimp wrapped in wonton skins were elegantly served standing up in a cute little dish, with a platter of shredded vegetables, fried noodles, and two delicious sauces. Dancing Prawns were huge shrimp stuffed with crab meat again beautifully arranged on arty dinnerware with more spun vegetables (I've never seen a string of carrot peel so long - maybe 3 feet!

The platter of Pad Thai that we shared was very good but maybe not as spicy as I would have liked. But I definitely will return and probably will have it again!

Have you noticed that as a VTer, the first thing you think of when your food comes to the table is "darn, where's my camera!" This was an occasion where pictures definitely would have been good.

Sweet Basil is in a unimpressive strip mall at the edge of town. The mall is full of many different Asian style businesses. I hope that the restaurant can be successful because I'd hate to not be able to go there! While we were there it did fill up (on a Wednesday night), so maybe my concerns are unwarranted.

I should add that service was very good and the staff was delightful.

Favorite Dish: Sweet Basil has 81 items on the menu, not counting desserts! I think we will have to return many times to determine which is our favorite.

Foster City Off The Beaten Path

by Callavetta Written Oct 11, 2003

Foster City has miles and miles of bike paths. It's possible to ride all the way to the San Francisco Airport along these paths, right next to the Bay. Along the route you pass picnic tables, windsurfers, fisherman, joggers, a driving range, hikers, people walking dogs. It's a very health conscious environment.

Bike Path Along the Bay

Foster City Favorites

by Callavetta Written Feb 26, 2005

Favorite thing: The Hillbarn Theater is in its 65th season. This cozy theater, "nearly in the round" puts on several productions each year. Each production lasts about 5 weeks. Picasso at the Lapin Agile*, Steve Martin's hilarious play about a meeting between Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso in a French Bar, just closed. Hat on a Hot Tin Roof* starts very soon.

Fondest memory: For more information:

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof opens in March

Instant Answers: Foster City

Comments

Foster City Travel Guide
Map of Foster City