Fremont Peak State Park Warnings and Dangers

  • View from the top
    View from the top
    by grandmaR
  • Communications towers on the peak
    Communications towers on the peak
    by grandmaR
  • Sign about rolling rocks
    Sign about rolling rocks
    by grandmaR

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Fremont Peak State Park

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    No Rolling the Rocks

    by grandmaR Updated Aug 3, 2015

    This is a dog and family friendly park, but there are hazards and rules which must be observed. You can't roll rocks down the mountain because this would be a hazard to others on the trail. If it is very dry, there will be no open fires allowed.

    There is also an observatory on the top of the mountain and sometimes this is open for the public.The rules for this are:

    Do not touch any part of any telescope unless the owner instructs you on the proper method. In particular, do not touch any glass optical surfaces.
    Please be sure that all children are supervised around telescopes.
    Remember, using lights near telescopes at night is highly disruptive. A piece of red "cellophane" wrapped over the end of a flashlight and held in place with a rubber band works great.

    Sign about rolling rocks Trash can marked Communications towers on the peak View from the top Trail map
    Related to:
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism

    Was this review helpful?

  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

    Poison Oak - Leaves of three, let them be!

    by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 25, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Fremont Peak is covered with poison oak. This three-leaf bush generates urushiol oil, which is also the poison found in poison ivy and poison sumac. Come in contact with a single leaf and you will be covered with an itchy red rash and possibly blisters before too long. The leaves are green most of the year, but turn red and orange in the fall. Luckily in Fremont Peak State Park, many of the commonly used areas with poison oak are well marked with warning signs. Pay attention and learn to recognize the shiny leaves so you can avoid this nasty stuff.

    The oil can last up to five years, even on dead leaves of the poison oak. Reaction to the oil is considered the most common allergy in the country, and, while some rashes develop in a day or two, it can take 7 to 10 days for a rash to develop after contact. If you do come in contact with the oil, wash with plenty of soap and water, then treat the contaminated areas with rubbing alcohol.

    Poison oak up close Warning sign

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Fremont Peak State Park

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

24 travelers online now


Fremont Peak State Park Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Fremont Peak State Park warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fremont Peak State Park sightseeing.

View all Fremont Peak State Park hotels