Other Mountains / Lakes, California

Know about this? Rate It!

by goingsolo
    Mono lake
    by Carmela71
    by mcpangie
  • alza's Profile Photo

Lake Isabella, I think

by alza Written Oct 1, 2003

Walk in sunset

Favorite thing: After Sierra Nevada, we got to a place in Sequoia National Forest which I think was called Lake Isabella. If I ever get up from this chair, I'll check that out.

It was a bit like landing on the moon, but we had to throw our tent and get organised. I forgot the details but I remember that we thought the caretaker was very nonchalant about his job. All the camping spots were marked as "reserved" but when we asked him about it, he'd say "pitch tent wherever you want, there'll always be a spot for latecomers!"

Our teens begged us for the car and promised they'd make dinner if we gave them the keys. So we did and we sat under a sequoia to read, peacefully. They brought back some wieners, they'd decided to go all out and treat us to hot-dogs!
    but they hadn't found any hot-dog rolls so we made do with our crackers... crispy, salty dogs!

The sunset here was marvelous. The mosquitoes found their way into our tents while we took pictures, and kept us company until the next morning. By now, I'm getting anxious to reach Santa Monica...

• girlygirl's Profile Photo

Swim (or rather float) in Mono...

by girlygirl Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Swim (or rather float) in Mono Lake. What a bizarre and beautiful place.

Fondest memory: Camping in Trumbell Lake campground in the Sierra Nevadas- cooking fresh trout on the fire with a view of the snow covered mountains through the trees behind our campsite.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

by goingsolo Updated Apr 16, 2007
    Mammoth Lakes

Favorite thing: After Mount Whitney, this name seemed a bit of a misnomer. But this charming ski town was a great place to rejuvenate in the summer. Mammoth Lakes is a bit like Vail on a smaller scale. Mammoth Mountain is a popular ski destination in the winter, the less crowded summertime offers lots of opportunities to hike, bike and explore. You can also take a gondola ride up the mountain or just browse the shops in town. The higher elevation means cooler temperatures as well.

Less than an hour from Mammoth Lakes, you'll find some of the most beautiful scenery of the Sierras. Areas such as Rock Creek and Mosquito Flats are hardly appealing sounding names. But they contain a lifetime's worth of hiking opportunities. For more information, feel free to browse my Mammoth Lakes page.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel
    • Skiing and Boarding

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Day 14: Death Valley & Drive to Mammouth & Mono lk

by Carmela71 Updated Aug 5, 2005
    Mono lake

Favorite thing: We left hotel and headed to Mamouth lake where we had the hotel, we knew it was a nice scenery but we did not expected it to be so beautiful. Also we were very pleased with the hotel.

Once settled in the hotel we drove for the loop of the lakes and went for the sunset to Mono lake, one of the highlights of the trip, especially as it was not planned and we did not know much about this place.

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Incredible Snowfall

by mcpangie Written Feb 28, 2004
    South Yuba River

Favorite thing: The high sierra near Donner Summit is just incredible. California is definitely a winter wonderland.

This picture was taken in a tiny town called Big Bend off I-80 in late February 2004 the day after snowfall, so everything was still pristine white.

Fondest memory: Some of those mounds of snow are covering buildings, can't even tell which mounds of snow because there is so much of it!

• Easty's Profile Photo

Mount Shasta

by Easty Written Jun 29, 2003
    Mount Shasta w/Siskiyou Lake in foreground

Favorite thing: Mount Shasta is located in the northermost part of California off I-5. It is often by-passed because most people choose to go along the coast. It stands at 14,162 ft and can be seen from over 100 miles. A great sight!!! For more information on the area, please refer to my Mount Shasta page.

• Mindjob's Profile Photo

Monolake is located east of...

by Mindjob Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Monolake is located east of Yosemite. The waters that fed it were diverted to LA. These tufa towers are not as high now, since rivers are flowing back into it.

• Mindjob's Profile Photo

Clearlake is the largest lake...

by Mindjob Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Clearlake is the largest lake in california and is about 3 hours from San Francisco. My parents had a cabin up there for many years.

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Incredible Snow Melt

by mcpangie Written Mar 17, 2004
    South Yuba River

Favorite thing: A few weeks later, same bridge, Big Bend California... all that snow melted from late February's dumping and the river is swollen.

Instant Answers: California