Homewood Sports & Outdoors

• On the slopes at Homewood Ski Resort, California
    On the slopes at Homewood Ski Resort,...
    Homewood Ski Resort, CA
    My daughter, the ski champ at Homewood

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Homewood

Homewood - Where green is blue and black is blue

by karenincalifornia Updated Apr 4, 2011

Homewood Ski Resort, CA

Isn't it funny how when you look at a ski resort's classification of its ski runs, the proportions are always the same for every ski resort? 25% beginner, 50% intermediate, 25% advanced and expert - or thereabouts. Of course, if you've skiied enough different resorts, you know that it's all relative for the ski resort itself - there are no ski industry rules that define what is expert and what is beginner.

Homewood describes itself as "15% beginner, 50% intermediate, and 35% advanced terrain", but I am here to tell you it is 95% intermediate and 5% beginner. (That Quail Face bowl doesn't count as expert since it is basically unskiable under any conditions) There is no extreme skiing to be found here - you won't find a huge cornice as a launching pad for landing waist deep into powder -- nor will you find long meandering flat green runs for the beginners.

The topography makes Homewood an all intermediate mountain. The ski resort is built on the west side of the lake with slopes that rise directly up from the lake. Because of its close proximity to the lake, there are no high, craggy peaks at the top of the resort. On the other hand, there are no truly flat areas either.

The green runs are really blue. The black runs are also really blue (merely ungroomed). All this was fine for my purposes when I went there in Feb. 2005 with my daughter. We just wanted a day of kick back skiing with close in parking and very little driving. And we got exactly what we were looking for at Homewood so we had absolutely no complaints.

Future Julia Mancuso?

by karenincalifornia Updated Feb 7, 2005

My daughter, the ski champ at Homewood

February 2005 -- the first weekend of February was the Girls Ski Weekend Out for my daughter and me. My husband and son had to stay home to take care of some pressing matters, but no matter. My 13-year old daughter and I headed for the slopes by ourselves.

She is an awesome skiier and really fun to ski with. She started skiing at 2 years old and cannot remember a time when she didn't ski. She has been fearless on the slopes from the start and God help me if I ever put a ski harness on her or some similar contraption. (I never tried - I firmly do not believe in those hindering accoutrements.)

Ever since she was 2 years old, she absolutely detested long ski lines. (Don't we all?) After about 2 minutes, she would start whining and crying. I then had to suffer those glaring looks from everyone who was thinking "What kind of terrible mother would force her baby to ski when she doesn't want to?"

What they didn't know was as soon as we got on the lift, she was squealing with delight from the ride. And as soon as we got off the lift, she was laughing with joy and there was no stopping her from heading right down the hill.

That was 11 years ago. Today, she is skiing advanced and expert runs. Last year, she took first place in a giant slalom race. Her time was better than all the times of the adult men and women who also raced the same course. That's my baby!

Skiing is a wonderful family sport. Some of our best vacations as a family have been our time spent together on the slopes. Homewood proved to be a fun place to spend a Saturday with my daughter.

Homewood Trail Map

by karenincalifornia Written Feb 7, 2005

Homewood Ski Resort trail map

Whether you ski or snowboard, Homewood has plenty of decent slopes. It has 1260 skiable acres and 4 chair lifts. The remaining lifts are T bars and platters, but unless you are skiing for your first time, you can avoid all of these surface lifts.

The resort has 2 parking lots (north and south) and 4 places to get lunch and snacks. My daughter and I stopped at the mid mountain shack, ate lunch outside on a picnic table and admired the beautiul view of the lake while soaking in the sun.

Ski Homewood

by karenincalifornia Updated Feb 7, 2005

On the slopes at Homewood Ski Resort, California

I have skiied at Lake Tahoe dozens of times, but had never tried Homewood Ski Resort until February 2005. Homewood is a nice little ski resort that has some advantages other resorts in the area don't have.

Homewood's advantages:

No crowds - even on the weekend

Parking is very close to the ticket office - you won't have to lug your skis around on your shoulder too far

The most incredible views of any ski resort near Lake Tahoe.

My 13 year old daughter and I spent a wonderful day at Homewood during the first weekend of February 2005. The snow was terrific and we had a full day of sun and deep blue skies! Truly awesome!

Instant Answers: Homewood

Comments

Homewood Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Homewood sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Homewood sightseeing.