Places to eat in Imperial Beach

• Restaurants
  • The Tin Fish Cafe

Most Viewed Restaurants in Imperial Beach

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Sea 180 Coastal Tavern: Opened Now!

by lmkluque Updated Mar 29, 2014

While updating the Restaurant Week review for 2014, I noticed that one of the participating restaurants was located in the South Bay. It turned out to be Sea 180 Coastal Tavern, which is connected to the new hotel, Pier South, in Imperial Beach. Sea 180 had opened just a few weeks ago. So I went to check it out.

I parked near what I thought was the entrance to the restaurant, in fact it was the back door which opens to the dining room. Two employees standing outside taking a break were very nice and helpful to me and a few others arriving here for the first time.

The word that comes to mind to describe Sea 180 is Classy. Not only stylish and elegant but also welcoming and friendly. Classy.

The patio is not open for dining yet but when it does open, it will seat 100 people. Curtis told me that there may be rooftop dining in the future as well. So much to look forward to. Oh and I shouldn't forget to tell you about the views!! This is the place to have a Sunset dinner or drink!

Update:

Had lunch at Sea 180 today and enjoyed it very much. This time the patio was open. There were heaters everywhere. The patio was covered with glass and we were protected from the ocean wind by Plexiglas and they had a couple of cozy fireplaces to sit around while having a drink.

Mark, our waiter was nice, attentive and helpful. It seems that the servers here tend to help each other out. There were at least four others stopping at our table to check on us.

Favorite Dish: As to the food. Can't tell you about the flavor, because I haven't had a meal yet. The employees all said the food was really good and while speaking with Curtis, a waiter passed by with a plate of "Ground Lamb Sliders" and the aroma was literally, mouth watering!

The menu is really eclectic/infusion. The bad and good news for me is that there is almost nothing on the menu that I've ever had on the same plate before. Bad news: I don't know what to try out or what to expect. Good news: I'll have a new experience in food!

Update:

Had lunch at Sea 180 today and enjoyed it very much. I had a Margarita to start. We shared a Bacon & Egg Caesar Salad. Then I ordered the Cheeseburger. I don't usually have a burger at restaurants, but Mark, our waiter said it was especially good and big. He was right about that. I had to bring half of it home because I couldn't finish it.

On the menu, the meals are followed by a code to indicate; Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian or Paleo. (The Caveman Diet.)

Corondado Brewing Company IB: Brew Pub

by lmkluque Updated Jan 9, 2014

MZM Seacoast Bistro and Jersey Boys Diner R.I.P.!

This building has not been good luck for the past two restaurateurs. They haven't been able to make a go of it. Now, it seems that the Coronado Brewing Company has signed a 25 year lease for the building and hope to have renovations complete by the Spring 2014.

This is what I know so far:

This location is not large enough for production of the beer, so that will continue to be done in Coronado and at their plant in San Diego. Their bar and restaurant offerings will be the same as at the Coronado location.

I've eaten at the Coronado store and the food is bar/pub quality and basically well flavored. The one thing new that I've heard is that they will brew and name some new beers for/about Imperial Beach.

Update:

When the remodel is done and the place opens I'll check it out for you.

Favorite Dish: What I can tell you now is that the food and crafted beer are good at the Coronado pub and I fully expect it to be just as good in Imperial Beach too.

• Beer Tasting

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Now Seacoast Grill: New Wine Bar on premise.

by lmkluque Updated Jan 9, 2014

A local hang-out type of place and since it is at the beach, casual dress is appropriate.

The Beach Club Grill is located on the ground floor and is open everyday, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Greek, Mexican and American food is ofered at reasonable prices.

Update:

Something is going on here. Don't know exactly what it is but will let you know as soon as I find out. The rooftop patio of Woodies has been enclosed and there is a big, Grand Opening sign over the door.

When I asked the girl behind the counter why they had the Grand Opening sign. She told me that there are new owners and the name has changed. I didn't even notice.

Honstly, I'm not sure what is going on with the enclosed patio above The Seacoast Grill . The Cantina above it is now called Barrels Wine & Beer. I heard that it is now a "Wine Bar." I'll have to check it out and see if it is still connected to the restaurant below it.

not only was it smart to enclose Woodies Patio, from a business POV, so that it can stay open every day, but from an aesthetic POV. The Cantina looks much nicer than the Patio did. At the moment the can only sell beer and wine/wine based cocktails. Hopefully they will get their liquor license by summer.

I actually expected a bit more from the decor since the place had newly been remodeled. This restaurant looks much like all the restaurants along Seacoast Drive. Then it dawned on me. They are all furnished to accommodate the hordes coming in, directly, from the beach. Wet and full of sand.

Favorite Dish: If Fish & Chips, a hamburger or hotdog doesn't appeal to you, they offer Greek and Mexican food or at least order a drink and enjoy the view and feel the past, or just the ocean city atmosphere.

Next time I go I'll try the Hummus and a Greek salad.

Update:

I have gone here a few times now and what I really liked most was the hummus with pita bread and had a huge Greek salad. They both were pretty good and since that is the main thing I order from Greek restaurants, I will return when I'm in the area.

I haven't checked out Barrels yet.

• Surfing

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

I.B. Forum Sports Bar & Grill! (Cook Your Own): Upgraded, But Not New!

by lmkluque Updated Jun 6, 2013

I.B. Forum has been a neighborhood gathering place for many years and it offers a unique exprerience for the tourist. Want to see us with our hair down? This is the place to be.

Sports bar it is, beer drinking jocks just like any other place. What is the big draw? Cooking your own steak, of course!

Okay a great atmosphere, more than a dozen TV's, friendly service and a full service bar!!

Not to mention that this is the most south-westernly bar in the continental USA!

Though I haven't seen it yet, they've added a patio.

Favorite Dish: Cook your own New York or Porterhouse Steak. I choose the Porterhouse every time!They offer Happy Hour and specials for lunch and dinner.

Filippis Pizza Grotto in I.B.: Three Blocks from the Beach

by lmkluque Written Jun 2, 2013

This is the newest of the family owned chain of restaurants in San Diego County. This store is run by Michelle, the great-grand daughter of the original owners of the first Filippis on India Street in downtown SD's Little Italy.

It has several dining sections and room enough for big parties. The front section as you enter the door seems a comfortable place to sit if you're still a bit sandy from the beach. It's sort of an indoor patio. They have no outdoor seating but do offer a full "To Go" menu to order to take home or back to the beach.

Favorite Dish: It is a pizza place, but they also have Subs, Torpedoes, whatever you call those almost foot long sandwiches that are full of meats and cheeses of various types. I like the ham & cheese torpedo, the meatball sub with Mozzarella and for dinner I like the Spaghetti & Lasagna dish with a small salad or Antipasto. As for pizza, my favorite is Pepperoni & Mushroom, easy sauce and no oregano.

Filippis puts all the ingredients under the cheese which is not typical. However, I like it cooked that way because all the flavors are cooked into the crust and the cheese. It's juicy and delicious. During the week at lunch they offer a small pizza which is perfect for one or two people who also wants Spaghetti or Salad with the Pizza.

Pretzels & Much More: California Dough Boy: RIP

by lmkluque Updated Mar 11, 2012

Another come-as-you-are type of place. This one offers a full menu. Sandwiches, Pizza, Pasta and more!

The place is microscopically small and there are no tables to eat at on the inside of the place. However, out on the deck you'll find clean tables to eat from or you can take your meal down to the beach!

Update:

Well, another change down at the beach! California Dough Boy is OUT and Pretzels & Much More is IN!

I haven't eaten here yet but plan to soon as I was told that they have crepes!! They also have pizza, hotdogs, nachos and of course pretzels too. I've heard good reviews so I'll let you know what I think after I try it.

I went in there. Now, they have a table or two, the tall ones but it's still small. I noticed a handwritten sign, "Restaurant for Sale." I asked the owner if he was selling the restaurant? He said, "If the price was right. Everything is for sale."

I laughed but still am not sure.

Favorite Dish: A 14" Pepperoni Pizza, ($8.50) Chicken Cutlet Parmigiana Sandwich, ($6.95) or Baked Eggplant Parmigiana served over Spaghetti, ($7.95)

Update:

Different menu, different prices. Maybe.

I was so happy that he offered savory crepes I ordered a ham and cheese and the only thing wrong with it was, no tomatoes or mushrooms. Maybe if I brought in my own mushrooms and tomatoes he'd add them. I saw one of his pizzas and it looked and smelled good.

The menu offers, soups, salads, pretzels, panini sandwhiches, nachos, pizzas and sweet & savory crepes. All at modest prices, my crepe was $4.75 and the sweet ones were $3.85 I think.

Just to let you know, he can't sell coffee, because of the guy next door who was there first. He did offer sodas.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Cow-A-Bunga Micro Ice Creamery & Espresso: Good Even on a Cold Day!

by lmkluque Updated Mar 11, 2012

Need a break from swimming or surfing? Love to people watch? Stop for a coffee or homemade ice cream at Cow-A-Bunga!

What a perfect name for a place catering to the surfing / beach crowd. Come as you are, even in that skimmpy bathing suit, for a shot of caffeine or a cool homeade ice cream.

The place is up for sale and that might explain why the guy behind the counter was an ungracious soul, but I wouldn't let that stop me from ordering an esspresso to drink out on the deck and watch the ocean roll in or the people pass by!

Update:

Cow-A-Bunga was bought by a French couple and they have chosen to keep the name. That
    s all I know at the moment but will report back as soon as I check it out.

Favorite Dish: No sense in telling you my favorites, the choices are plentiful in both the fresh roasted coffees and the fresh whipped ice creams. Best of all, you are encouraged to create your own combinations!

Update:

To Be Announced....

West Coast Cafe: International Blends--RIP

by lmkluque Updated Mar 8, 2012

This Cyber Cafe attracts not only young college student types, but also big burly biker types. Most nights those great "hog" motorcycles are parked in front, paint fresh & glossy and chrome tail pipes shinning in the street lamp light.

Two patios to choose from, one in front facing the street, which normally would be unpleasant, but in this case, there is little traffic and often parked in front are marvelously restored cars and motorcycles. The back patio is surrounded by a hedge and quite secluded.

Update:

Driving by the other day, it looked as if International Blends is no longer at this address. I'll stop by and find out what happened and give the information here later.

So, I stopped by to check out the new place. Similar still. The owner gave me time to look around and then offered to help. She was very friendly. The decor perked things up quite a bit. Sort of funky, in the old hippie way. They seem to have an affinity with local artists including Kid's Art a nice addition. Glass top tables & chairs, sofas and over stuffed chairs to sit inside on and if you are alone, the chances are that someone will come and share your table. There are two outside dining sections, one secluded in the back and one open to the public up front.

Other patrons said that though the prices were modest the portions are generous. There is no dress code, so beach attire is accepted. That's a good thing considering they are just a block from the beach.

Favorite Dish: I didn't have time to order anything but a Girl Scout Chocolate Mint Shake. It was pretty good and they were generous with the whipped cream. Will order a sandwich next time. I'll also try out their Mexican Mocha. The menu looked good and the servings others had looked better. I'll let you know what I think after I've tried something.

They have their own parking lot and a section to park a bike. No bikes on the patio!%s

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Carrow's: A Chain Offering a Family Style Menu!

by lmkluque Updated Mar 5, 2012

This is a "Denny's" type chain restaurant and the prices are moderate. An especially good deal to know about is the Weekday Power Breakfast priced at $3.99.

The service is pretty good most of the time and they have a full service bar as well as patio dining at this location.

I come often to this restaurant with a friend and we sit for hours on the patio discussing the book she's writing. They keep the coffee coming and never complain about the length of our stay.

The food is pretty good and the menu will surely have something for everyone in the family.

Favorite Dish: The Power Breakfast is usually what I order. There are four or five choices and my choice is, scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon and English Muffin.

They also offer a "Seniors" menu. The portions are smaller and the prices lower.

Update:

I've had many items from their menu but haven't been here since my "book friend" died. I just wanted to warn you that the prices have most likely risen and the menu does change periodically. I think that is because the clientel is local and they want to give variety.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Aroma Thai Restaurant!: Something New In I.B.!

by lmkluque Updated Mar 4, 2012

Honestly, I haven't eaten here yet. In fact, it's new to Seacoast Drive. What makes me suggest it is the fact that I wanted to try it out and customers were going in at odd hours. (Meaning, between the typical lunch and dinner hours.) Which can be an indication that it will soon become a very popular place.

After I try this place out, I'll update the tip to let you know if the flavor of the food is delicious.

Favorite Dish: The menu seems pretty typical, curries, noodle dishes, seafood and vegetarian everything.

They have a Lunch Special menu ranges from 5.95 - $8.95 and nothing on the regular menu is priced over $10.95!

Imperial Beach Hotels

1 Review & Opinion
Beautiful Beach Front Condo
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Imperial Beach

Comments

Imperial Beach Restaurants

lmkluque's Profile Photo

Most of the restaurants in Imperial Beach, especially along Seacoast Drive at the beach, are very casual dining.  This makes it easier for beach clad patrons to grab a bite to eat...

Map of Imperial Beach