Jenner Travel Guide

The mouth of the Russian River
  • Seals Sunbathe Near the Mouth of the Russian River
    Seals Sunbathe Near the Mouth of the...
    Kayakers Enjoy the Beach

Jenner Things to Do

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Seals Sunbathe Near the Mouth of the Russian River 1 more image

by SteveOSF Updated Aug 16, 2008

On Highway 1, an overlook is available perched above the mouth of the Russian River. This spot offers nice views of the coast and the beaches below. Usually, a fair amount of seals can be seen sunning themselves on the beach. In the 1800s, these animals were almost hunted to extinction. If you do venture down to the beach, it would be wise to avoid the area occupied by the seals.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

• LizC's Profile Photo

by LizC Written Oct 5, 2002

The California Sea Lions and Pacific Harbor Seals sun bathing on the sand bar are fun to watch, but they are also the center of hot debate in local samon fishing industry and wildlife protection agencies.

• Jenner Hotels

7 Hotels in Jenner

422 Reviews and Opinions

Jenner Hotels

Jenner Restaurants

• by billyg93 Written Oct 8, 2007

My wife and I have been to this area several times but never quite made it up to Jenner for dinner at this restaurant, although I had read about it numerous times. So when some friends of ours happened to be in the same area we decided to drive to Jenner. I wanted to show our friends the coast as they had been in Healdsburg area sampling wines. In the back of my mind River's End was our end destination.

First of all if you can, and are coming from the Healdsburg area, take a drive down River Road to reach River's End. It is a spectacular drive with great scenery. As we neared the coast the temperature began to drop. River Road parrallels the Russian River and River's End is located where the mouth of the Russina River meets the Pacific Ocean.

We arrived at 5:30 and sat at the bar, which is small, as the restaurant opened at 6 p.m. As it turned out that was the only reservation available for the night.

First of all the views, even if you don't have a window table, are incredible. The restaurants sits on a cliff overlooking the ocean with the Russian River just to the south and in view also.

The wait staff were very helpful. I asked for a window table but was told , "people call months in advance to book those table." Understandably so. Regardless there is not a bad table in the house.

The food is anything but ordinary with all fresh ingredients and wonderful combinations. I had the pacific sea bass as my main course and it was delicious and bursting with flavors. It was just caught that afternoon and I believe it with how fresh it tasted.

I also appreciated that the wait staff did not rush us. We sat for about two hours and truly savored this meal, from salad, appetizers, main course and dessert.

I think this restaurant compares with some of the best and most innovative restaurants in Chicago. And the view is just the icing on the cake.

I would recommend you call well in advance and reserve a window table and then just sit back and enjoy the evening.

Favorite Dish: Fresh caught sea bass and any of the appetizers.

• Wine Tasting

Jenner Warnings and Dangers

• LizC's Profile Photo

by LizC Written Oct 5, 2002

Slower traffic ALWAYS has the right of way! Or your freezer better be big enough for a year's supply of steaks!

Jenner Sports & Outdoors

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Kayakers Enjoy the Beach

by SteveOSF Updated Aug 16, 2008

Kayakers often paddle around the mouth of the Russian River. They explore the waters and can reach portions of the beach that would otherwise be inaccessible. Kayaks can be rented in Jenner right along Highway One.

• Beaches
    • Kayaking
    • Water Sports

Instant Answers: Jenner

Comments

Jenner Travel Guide
Map of Jenner