Apple Pie in Julian, Julian

Know about this? Rate It!

Julian, CA
    by eMtnMan
  • Apple Pie in Julian
    by lmkluque
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Out of the Past!

by lmkluque Updated Sep 25, 2012

Favorite thing: Eat apple pie, tour the old mine, have a romantic get-away-weekend at the old Julian Hotel, or just walk down the main street to see shops that cater to the needs of the local residents. One of my favorite shops sells all types of wood burning stoves.

In recent years there has been a different type of "Rush" to Julian and that is the "Country Living Rush." Many people, mostly retired, have moved up here and opened up shops with items that might appeal to tourists. These San Diegans wanted to get away from the hustle & bustle of city living, but it seems to me that they've just made a move to add the hustle & bustle to Julian.

Oh well, can't stop progress, I guess. I will say that the Main Street with it's old cowboy buildings hasn't changed and it's still fun to come up here in the autumn months, after harvest time and stock up on all things apple.

Fondest memory: More than twenty-five years ago I began a mini-vacation plan for my two sons that I called "Adventures." Every couple of weeks I'd take my sons out for a day of fun, on my day off from work. The only two rules we had were:

1. To get along in a cooperative manner and
    2. To stop when any one of us wanted to explore something.

Often times Julian was the farthest point of the adventure. Anything either of us noticed on the way would be a reason to stop and explore. We also found many things to explore once we arrived in Julian.

Over the years we saw the changes made to the town because other San Diegans discovered this little mountain hide-a-way.

Apples seem to be the biggest crop and many of the residents offered anything you could think of made out of apples; pies, apple cider, apple juice, apple butter, apple jam, even dolls of little old ladies/witches, whose heads were made out of shrivled up apples!

• Architecture

• The Best Apple Pie on Earth!

by eMtnMan Updated Apr 24, 2003

Julian, CA

Favorite thing: Have some fresh Apple Pie! Depending on your personal preference: Mom's Pies are the sweetest, while the Julian Pie Company's are a little more tart... but either are a great choice. Because our orchards are not irrigated, Julian apples have a distinctly sweet and robust flavor.

During fall apple harvest, be sure to sample some fresh Julian apples at a 'U-Pick' orchard, a roadside fruit stand, or at Apple Lane Orchard, located about 1 mile east of town on Hwy 78.

Fondest memory: The people of Julian are the friendliest in the world! Visitors are always welcome...

• Theme Park Trips