Laguna Beach Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Laguna Beach

• Mosun Japanese Restaurant: Worst Restaurant Experience Ever!!

by OCLAfoodie Written Mar 31, 2011

Over the years, I have eaten here a couple of times. Not sure if a new owner/management has taken over, but there is something seriously wrong with the way they conduct their business. I have a group of 5-10 people that I dine with on a regular basis, and we frequent a lot of Laguna Beach spots. 6 weeks ago, I dined here with a group of about 8 friends. About an hour after leaving, I realized I had left my sweater on the chair in the restaurant. I called immediately, but was told that it was "too busy" for the guy that answered to look for it, and that if I wanted to talk to someone I could call the following day. I found it interesting, actually insulting, that they weren't too busy to charge me for my meal and take my money, but when it came to providing any type of customer service, I wasn't of value to them. Long story short, over the course of the next 5 weeks, I left 5 different messages with the girl that answers the phone during the day (not sure of her name, but same girl every time) requesting a call from the manager. In addition, I sent an email through the company website complaining about the lack of response, and even showed up there during the day--to find they were closed. NOT ONE of my phone calls was returned, and the email I can assume was promptly deleted upon receipt, as I never received a response to that either.

Tonight, I made the unfortunate mistake of returning with a group of friends, half of whom had never eaten there, for the half off Wednesday dinner. I was finally able to meet this elusive "manager" who told me he had never received my message and would look for my sweater. I had no hopes of it being there, and to be honest I am embarrassed for having given this place another chance--I guess I am a sucker for a half price menu. Sure enough, the service was a JOKE, the manager was a jerk, and after ordering two dishes and getting something completely different than I ordered, we left. Example, ordered sashimi salad, got seaweed salad, ordered eel & avocado handroll, got a spicy tuna handroll with a quail egg??? On my way out, I walked by the manager, let him know that after the way I was treated prior and the horrible service we as a group received, I would never be back. His response? "See ya."

I have a business degree from USC, currently getting my MBA, and have a deep understanding of the importance of customer service. Customer retention is critical, especially in an economy like this. Not one of the people in my party will be back. There is an often heard statistic that a typical dissatisfied customer will tell eight to 10 people about his or her experience. One in five will tell 20 or more (and thanks to the internet that number grows exponentially). I grew up in OC, spent 10 years in LA, and not ONCE in my entire life have I felt compelled to spend the time or energy sharing a consumer experience. While these losers don't deserve my time or energy, I can't NOT let people know about my experience, in the hopes that they won't have to go through the same. There are so many amazing restaurants in Laguna, with awesome service and great food. After reading other reviews I am obviously not alone, this place is just not deserving of your time or money.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Head for the border: Hippie food

spare change?

Not everyone in Laguna Beach can afford Claes in the Hotel Laguna.

My first time we were broke, and this is one of the 2 or 3 places we could afford to eat.

It is still there in the same spot, mostly the same food
    (though "bell burgers" are now a thing of the past).

Favorite Dish: the $ ~90-cent (today) beef softshell with hot sauce.

The Beach House: One of my favorites FOR SUNSET

by davequ Updated Nov 30, 2010

Here is my favorite place to eat a dinner that is near-perfectly timed
    for sundown.

The Beach House has a comfortable but small deck that sits out right over the beach so you can take in the gorgeous Laguna Beach sunsets.

Food is good (recommend any seafood dish)
    Beach House menu

but the main reason to eat here is to catch sunset while
    sitting
    outside (hint) on the raised open deck over the beach.

Problem is, there are only about half a dozen tables (the deck is narrow) that are actually outside in the open air above the beach, and everybody wants one.

My lame / unsubtle method:
    not really a trick at all. You know the drill.
    Check out a
    Weather Website,

- time your reservation for about 1 hour before sunset begins, arrive early, sneak the hostess a $20 and wait / drink in the bar until one of the 6-7 tables on the deck opens up.

If you walk in and expect to automatically get an outside table on your good looks, you may be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: Just last week had FRESH COCONUT MAHI MAHI with mango-orange coulis, ginger mashed potatoes and fried plantains.
    It is still very tasty and is usually what I get or else the halibut.

Lots of people like the "sand dabs" so ask about them as well (didn't see them on the menu).

Again, the food is good, and with the sunset from the deck it is even better.

Beach House: Sunset from the Beach House Deck

Beach House Dinner 12_08_04

Here is the picture of the sunset from the Beach House deck

I took this before dinner at my table with a cr@ppy low-rez digital camer on the Beach House restaurant deck as the sun burned its way through Catalina Island before setting in the Pacific at 16:50 the evening of Wed. 12_08_04.

Almost seven years ago, and again someday soon with a better camera, if I have anything to say about it.

Favorite Dish: Coconut mahi mahi with an appetizer of iced raw oysters, mussels and shrimp.

Bring your camera and make a reservation for sunset:
    Beach House Sunset Times

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Coffee Pub: Great sandwiches, ok cappuccino

by bpwarne Written Feb 26, 2008

Huge handmade sandwiches at reasonable prices for the area. Espresso is acceptable, not great. typical coffee house/small deli fare.

Favorite Dish: Try the Canyon sandwich. Quite large, full of veggies. Approx $7 for large, Spring/2008

• Sohbet's Profile Photo

Madison Square & Garden Cafe: Where fairies and gnomes meet for breakfast!

by Sohbet Written Dec 3, 2007

A carefully decorated, charming cafe that fell out of a Midsummer Night's Dream and into Laguna Beach. The food is delicious and prepared with the utmost care. Awesome coffee bar that brews Dietrich's Coffee. Everything on the menu is amazing. Try it all - and chat up an elf while you are at it! Totally a place where fairies and gnomes would come for a chat, a song, or a dance.

Favorite Dish: The Smoked Salmon Bagel is pretty amazing.

• Luxury Travel

Las Brisas: Mexican food with a knockout view & location

by davequ Updated Nov 28, 2007

Main entrance on Cliff dr

Delicious California / Mexican food in an incredible location.

Las Brisas has its terrace on the cliff right next to Heisler park.

Everything you want to know about and how to find it is at this link:
    Las Brisas website

Favorite Dish: Catch of the day with seafood enchilada.

Even if Mexican food is not your thing, at least sit on the terrace at "magic hour" / sunset with a margarita.
    The view is incredible, and Heisler park right across Cliff rd. is one of the most beautiful walks in Laguna Beach.

• Sohbet's Profile Photo

C'est La Vie: Breakfast with a view of Laguna Main Beach!

by Sohbet Written Nov 27, 2007

Very quaint restaurant on Pacific Coast Highway, right at Laguna Main Beach. You can enjoy breakfast and a chat while watching the aqua waves crash on the shoreline. Food is awesome; the experience is cathartic.

Favorite Dish: Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes, served with wedge potatoes and toasted fresh bread.

• Luxury Travel

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

The Royal Hawaiian: Come for the drinks!

by brewjohnson Written Oct 1, 2007

A Laguna Beach legend. You don't come to the Royal Hawaiian for the food. You come for the kitschy Polynesian decor and the drinks. In particular, the Lapu Lapu. The Lapu Lapu is a Mai Tai-type concoction served in a fish-bowl glass. Once you've had one, you can stomach the food. If you're foolhardy enough to have 2, you'll likely be found the next morning face down in the sand. You'll be lucky if you have your trousers on.

Favorite Dish: Head straight to the bar and grab a Lapu Lapu.

• VirtualAmy's Profile Photo

Hennesseys: Irish Pub with Live Music

by VirtualAmy Written Jun 21, 2007
    Sloan having a beer on St. Patty's Day

Hennessey's bar and restaurant is a great spot to have lunch and a traditional Irish stout. It is located right across from the main beach in Laguna and has outdoor seating. They regularly have live music and it is one of the locals hangout.

Favorite Dish: Fish and Chips

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

The Studio/Montage Resort: Exquisite Meal at The Studio

by orcoastgirl Written Feb 9, 2007

Appetizer at the Montage

The Studio is the formal restaurant at the lovely Montage Resort in Laguna Beach. We celebrated our 25h anniversary here and it was very nice. After catching the sunset, we changed into our formal attire and lingered in the gorgeous lobby by the fire, the restaurant is a short walk away from the main lobby. We ordered appetizers, had our Archery Summit Pinot Noir decantered and also enjoyed our entrees and dessert. I had the John Dory which was a nice portion fish in a Teryaki glaze, my husband had the Fillet Mignon. Desserts were brought out with Happy Anniversary which was a nice touch.

Our service was outstanding, the Sommelier came to our table and tasted our wine and then helped us order accordingly. A very nice dinner!

Favorite Dish: The John Dory seafood entree, desserts, appetizers

C'est La Vie: French, excellent pastries & desserts, breakfast

by davequ Updated Jan 12, 2007

This is the good life in Laguna

Decent little bistro / restaurant with delicious desserts, pastries, also with a rear terrace facing the main beach right in the middle of downtown.

This is a highly recommended place for when you have a taste for french, breakfast (until 4:30pm!) but also excellent dinner or cafe and dessert.

Try the dark chocolate espresso cake with some strong coffee on the terrace at night after dinner. It was excellent.

Favorite Dish: They serve (among other things) - Escargot, Bouillabaisse, Veal Osso buco, Duck Confit.

I thought this was a find and I went back.

Check out the website:

C'est La Vie Laguna Beach

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Las Brisas: Good food/ Great location

by kyoub Updated Jan 5, 2007

Open air restaurant

When we went in they asked if we wanted to sit inside for a more formal dinner or outside and eat off the lunch menu. We wanted to eat outside, if they had heaters on the patio. Of course, they did. First we wanted to order a margarita, after we made up our mind what flavor we would like to try. They had several to chose from so my son had a regular one, my daughter tried pineapple, and I just had a glass of wine.
    I had not eaten Mexican food in years but I remembered that I did at one time love Nachos.
    Everyone enjoyed their meal, the location, and the service was very good.
    We would recommend this restaurant to everyone.

Favorite Dish: I had nachos. They were delicious. They have margaritas in several different flavos that are great also.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Claes Restaurant and terrace in Hotel Laguna: Upscale food & excellent view inside Hotel Laguna

by davequ Updated Nov 10, 2006

Claes at sunset

(Pronounced "Clay's") - Upscale with an excellent view of the beach through "knee-to-ceiling" level large windows.

This is another place to catch sunset with dinner. You can also (though not officially part of Claes) sit outside on the Hotel Laguna terrace for drinks and a more limited menu from the terrace bar.

All menus and amenities can be checked out in detail at the website listed below.

Winelist covers the gamut from Cristal to Staggs Leap.

Claes is quiet, upscale and formal, certainly not cheap.

Favorite Dish: Steamed Manilla clams, black tea smoked duck breast, seared ahi tuna.

I also enjoyed an armagnac on the terrace for dessert.

Here is the menu:
    Dinner menu

Here is the winelist:
    Claes Winelist
    ( a 2Mb PDF download)

• sillyjj's Profile Photo

Papa's Tacos: I love their chicken tacos!

by sillyjj Written Jul 28, 2006

If you're looking for good eats away from the "must look good at all times" vibe of main beach, this is one of the best local dives in south Laguna. The place is TINY! Almost no one eats inside the place because there is just a little bar w/ barstools (about 5) and a couple of tables outside. But that doesn't stop anyone from pulling up outside and ordering a great lunch/dinner to go.

Favorite Dish: 2 Chicken tacos. Yummie!!!! I've tried most of their food, and really like the carnitas. But will always go back to the chicken tacos. They're super-yummie.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Laguna Beach

Comments

Laguna Beach Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Laguna Beach restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Laguna Beach sightseeing.