Lodi Travel Guide

Black Bass Sandwich

Lodi Things to Do

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

by WulfstanTraveller Written Feb 5, 2007

A few miles east of Lodi on Hwy 12 is the Chocoholics Chocolate Factory. It's actually in Clements, a tiny unincorporated blip on the road with a post office, an old warehouse, a few houses a couple other buildings, and this place, partially located in the old IOOF building. However, Lodi, with about 60,000 people, is much more recognizable and is the nearest big town, and is on two major arteries: I-5 and Hwy 99, so it seems more logical to put it on the Lodi site.

One can see the chocolate factory for, although they don't operate it on weekends so if one visits then, one only gets to see the idle machines, etc.

The store has a wide range of good chocolate products, including small bits of white, milk, and dark chocolate, chocolate pasta, sauces, toffee, etc.

There is a nice fenced in grassy area with horseshoes, too, so it is overall a good plcae to stop on a trip through the area.

Lodi Hotels

Satisfaction: Terrible

Lodi Restaurants

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Updated Nov 19, 2010

Having finished our tour of the Jelly Belly factory and making another stop at a local TJ Maxx (Sue's idea, but darn it I always find something there that I like - this time a Jimi Hendrix collection shirt to wear in San Francisco in a couple of days), we began our trip down Highway 12 with our day end destination being the Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast near Mariposa.

After stopping for some great looking strawberries for $2.00 and passing a gigantic wind farm we were getting close to the town of Lodi, California around 1:30 p.m. We were both a little hungry so Sue opened up her Frommer's Guide Book and found a place we both agreed upon. I set the directions on the iPad GPS and off we went. Boy, those GPS directions have to be exact and sometimes even if they are they take you where it thinks you want to go. After we made our left turn it had us make another left turn away from the city. About 2 blocks going that way, I decided this wasn't the right way to go and switched directions. 5 minutes later after we initially passed by the entrance we pulled into the semi-hidden Wine and Roses Hotel, Spa and Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Since it was getting toward the end of the lunch hour the crowd was sparse. We were led into a back room area near the outside courtyard and sat down for a white table cloth lunch. Our server, Denise came over handed us the menus, asked us if we wanted wine (took a pass on that for lunch) and ordered our dishes.

Sue started off with a Wine and Roses Autumn Salad which included Field Greens, slices of Fuji Apple, Pomegranate, Persimmon, Lodi Olive Oil & Rose Petal Jam Crostinis (Picture #2). For our main dishes Sue ordered the Daily Fresh Fish sandwich which on that day was Black Bass. This was accompanied with cous cous and another small house salad. Take a look at Picture #3 to see how much fish was on the sandwich (hint: you couldn't close the bun). I had the grilled chicken sandwich which came with Onion Jam, Lettuce, Tomato, Bacon & Curry Cream Spread which of course I only finished 1/2 of. It also came with the house salad and cous cous. (Picture #4).

About an hour later, regretfully bypassing what looked like wonderful desserts, we headed out again down the road.

Restaurant Entrance Autumn Salad Black Bass Sandwich Chicken Sandwich Hedgehog Pumpkin Decoration
    • Wine Tasting
    • Spa and Resort

Lodi Favorites

• 1983Angel's Profile Photo

by 1983Angel Written Sep 2, 2002

Fondest memory: The three people in the photo are one of my hostfamilys when I visiting Lodi.They were very kind and friendly.

• 1983Angel's Profile Photo

by 1983Angel Written Sep 2, 2002

Fondest memory: This summer,I went study aboud to U.S.A,and Lodi is the city we stay for the program.I feel people there were very friendly.Lodi have many grape trees.Someone told us Lodi is grape captial of California.I like Lodi because I really have many wonderful memores here.

• Lodi Hotels

12 Hotels in Lodi

Instant Answers: Lodi

Comments

Lodi Travel Guide
Map of Lodi