Schooner or Later, Long Beach

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Schooner or Later: Dockside dining

by kyoub Updated Jan 30, 2008

Marina

This is one of my sons favorite places to have a leisurly breakfast, while he dreams of buying a boat someday.
    Dockside dining on Alamitos Bay. Open for breakfast and lunch.

Favorite Dish: I couldn't decide whether to have the veggie omlette or the fish sandwich.
    I ended up ordering the omlette and my hubby got the fish. Mine was best.

• Sailing and Boating

• Schooner or Later: COMPLETELY OVER RATED!

by jndabox Written Feb 12, 2010

I will have to do more research before checking out new places based on Diners, drive-ins and dives reviews.

The food was ok, but the service was so poor that the food was cold buy the time everyone in my party was served.
    Even then, the order was not correct and we were still waiting for a couple items.
    We had a very hard time getting the waitress' attention and finally had to get up and go inside to speak to a manager.
    As it turns out the owner was seated right next to us and when he came over to check on our problems was very dismissive and offered a token 20% discount on our bill.
    When the bill came, he only took the discount off the food and not the drinks.
    It was clear he didn't really care.

With so many great breakfast/lunch places in So Cal, this one is not worth the wait or any extra effort to visit.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Schooner or Later: Great place to have a beer...and breakfast, brunch

by malianrob Written Feb 2, 2006

This place has been around since 1985.
    The mural on the wall is of downtown Long Beach and the Pike. The picture was taken circa 1933. The Jukebox is a restored original circa 1943. The artwork above the counter is from the Towne Theatre that was in North Long Beach in the 50s and 60s. The bike is a copy of the original.

Schooner or later is open from 6:30 to 3:00pm on monday thru friday and 6:30 -5pm on Saturday and Sunday. Be prepared to stand in line on the weekends. it does get crowded but the wait is worth it. The food is good and the service is excellent. You can sit inside or outside. when it gets chilly they turn on the heat lamps. Eat your breakfast with the cool ocean breeze and the view of the marina.

• Adventure Travel

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Schooner or Later: Schooner or Later

by jenn_d Written Aug 26, 2002

Schooners is set up alongside the marina. This is a place where people actually go because they enjoy the hour long wait to be seated. Locals will order a cheap bottle of champagne and a large glass of oj to drink while they sit in the sun socializing. THe only people who complain about the wait are either tourists or just plain sober.

Favorite Dish: The speciality here is big American breakfasts! Try Schultzes Mess,eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, peppers, onions and sausage all cooked together in one pan and topped with cheese and sour cream! Yikes. I've never eaten it myself but it looks damn good!

• Schooner or Later: It's Not Worth The Wait

by AmyPach Written Nov 6, 2006

Schooner or Later is known for its ocean front dining and over all fun atmosphere. On one Sunday morning however, my experience at Schooner or Later was the worst dining experience I have ever encountered. After waiting an hour to sit down, my dining partners and I received service while ordering and did not receive any after for about thirty minutes. At this time of waiting I proceeded to get up and find the waitress to ask for waters. We waited another twenty minutes for food there after. When we finally received our food, two out of six meals were cold. My roommate who was celebrating her birthday was served a cold omelet and cold hash browns. At this point I asked to speak to a manager in hopes to rectify the situation.
    When the owner appeared at the table we explained the situation. His response was, "Well what do you want me to do? What is it going to take me to make you happy? Do you want me to nuke it? I don't believe it is cold, the plate is still hot, feel the plate. You do realize you will have to wait for another whole meal." Soon after he brought us a side of hash browns but the omelet was still cold. I was astonished to his reaction to our claim. I am not one to weasel free food out of a restaurant and I have been going to Schooners for years. He acted like the restaurant did nothing wrong and I was lying.

Favorite Dish: Unhappy with his attitude and condescending tone I proceeded to speak to another owner on site. I had told her what had happened and how I felt the other owner was not taking our claim seriously and was insinuating we were to blame for the cold food. She apologized and offered to replace or comp. the cold meal and send over some drinks. After speaking to her I was feeling relieved until the male owner reappeared at our table. He said to us again aggressively, "Are we still not happy here?! What more do you want? I gave you a free side of hash brown what is the problem?" I told him how the table was feeling about the service we were experiencing, how the plate is not an accurate indicator of whether food is cold on top, and how we were disappointed with his disregarding attitude to our problem. He went on and on about how there was no way the food was cold and about it getting cold on the way to the table. Either way, we felt disrespected, ripped off, and like the combined two hour time frame to receive this cold food was not worth the wait. We asked for the check anxious to leave.
    When we received the check, the meal was not taken off. I went inside to ask the other owner and she informed me she had changed her mind. I ended up spending eighty dollars at Schooner or Later for poor service and cold food! Trust me, it is not worth the wait and they do not deserve your business.

• Water Sports
    • Business Travel

• ukmusicfreak's Profile Photo

Schooner or Later: Great for Sunday bloody marys!

by ukmusicfreak Written Aug 11, 2005

This is the place to have Sunday morning hangover breakfast! It can attract quite a crowd in the am so be prepared for a wait if you show up after 9am. Guys will love this place because the waitresses are all California cuties...but they come with attitudes galore! Good greasy breakfasts and sandwiches. And last but not least..do not forget to have a schooner of beer to ease you out of your hangover!

Favorite Dish: A schooner...duh!

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Schooner or Later: A terrific outdoor restaurant!

by rmdw Written Aug 7, 2004
    Eating outside at Schooner or Later

I went here for breakfast with my Long Beach friends, Linda and Jason (4everfun). It was an absolutely wonderful choice!

The restaurant is located right beside the Long Beach Marina. As far as I could tell, all of the seating is outside. Once the sun gets too hot then they bring out large umbrellas for all the tables.

Favorite Dish: The assortment of omelettes and other egg dishes was tremendous. I opted for one with crab & avocado. Yum, yum, yum!!!

Highly recommended!

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Schooner or Later: Family owned and operated, food made from scratch

by BLewJay Updated Apr 13, 2004
    All in the family

Met up with Jenn_D and her son Ethan on our way back from LAX for brunch...the place was packed but while you are waiting you can order Mimosa's (fresh squeezed orange juice and champagne). Oh and by the way, you can bring your dog here, just make sure that when you are eating that they stay off the tile (it has something to do with health regulations).

Favorite Dish: For meals, I would recommend either the Eggs Benedict (poached eggs and Canadian bacon on an English muffin, topped with Hollandaise sauce and served with hash browns) or the Breakfast Burrito (potatoes, eggs, cheese, onions, bell peppers and chorizo with guacamole, tomatoes and cantalope).

• Beaches
    • Travel with Pets

Instant Answers: Long Beach

Comments

Hotels Near Schooner or Later
4.0 out of 5 stars