Queen Mary, Long Beach

• Queen Mary
    by Yaqui

Haunted Encounters

by Yaqui Written Mar 31, 2013

I am sure eveyone has heard the Queen Mary is one of the most haunted places in the U.S. Whether you believe in this sort of events or not, it is still fun to explore the ship especially down in the engine & exhibit rooms where most folks don't like to explore. They have tours available that takes you to places that most do not get to see. Yet, when you explore on your own, you'll come across in various sections of the ship these plaques that are posted, called "Ghost Sightings" and on each of these plaqes are the stories of those who had experiences of the ghostly nature. So we had fun trying to find them.

Queen Mary Story, Museum & Historic Exhibits

by Yaqui Written Mar 30, 2013

One of the great 20th-century luxury liners, this vessel has been the centerpiece of Long Beach Harbor since 1967. Larger than the Titanic, The Queen Mary allows tourists to take a self-guided tour of the bridge, engine rooms and officers' quarters, while guided tours visit areas of the ship which are otherwise inaccessible.

Yet, the self guided tour you will see most of the ship without having to take any of the other tours. The exhibits are wonderful done and the history of the Queen Mary starts from the left of the room and continues to the right. They have a little theatre, but it was not working that day. We kind of started backwards on the tour and we ended up totally alone towards the back engine rooms. Rather unsettlings or spooky, but it was fun. The whole ship is a museum piece. Make sure you get a map because it will show you where they exhibits are thru the ship. I never get tired of coming here.

Be aware they you will climb stairs up and down through the whole ship.

Diana~Legacy of a Princess

by Yaqui Written Mar 29, 2013

We wanted to see The Diana Legacy of a Princess A Royal Exhibition since he came to Long Beaches Queen Mary. It showcases a priceless collection of evening gowns, dresses, personal accessories, photographs, heirlooms and other cherished memorabilia associated with Princess Diana and the Royal Family. It is very extensive and take your time to see everything. "No photography is allows" Yet, there are some items outside the museum you can take pictures of, so I did. Some of it is very touching and I still feel the loss of such a wonderful caring person. We were glad to finally see the exhibit.

Exhibit Hours & General Info

Monday – Thursday 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
    Friday – Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Last entrance is 30 minutes prior to closing.

The Queen Mary~The Grey Ghost

by Yaqui Updated Mar 29, 2013

I've have visited the Queen Mary many of times, but that was since the Spruce Goose days. Sadley that has been sold. That was a neat piece of our history. I have history with the Queen Mary, since this is the ship that brought my mom back home during WWII. She thinks nothing of it, but I am pretty proud of my mom serving during WWII. She shared a very small bunk room with five other girls and they had to have armed escorts anytime they went anywhere on the ship. She said she got a little sea sick because at the time they were still cruising back a forth just incase any enemy subs were still out to sea. Still, she has fond memories of the Grey Ghost and so every time you visit Long Beach, you have to visit the Queen Mary.

"Some folks thinks she is tours trap and I disagree whole heartly!! She is a hidden gem and I I think a must to see. She has tours, hotel, shops, restaurants, and museum. A great way to spend a day:)

The Queen Mary’s story is rich with history, elegance and grandeur. From the time her construction began in 1930 in Clydebank, Scotland. Upon her Maiden Voyage in 1936 the Queen Mary was considered the grandest ship ever built and the elite of high society.

In 1939, at the start of the World War II, the Queen Mary was drafted into service and outfitted as a troopship. Deemed the Grey Ghost due to her new camouflaged grey exterior, she joined the Allied Forces and played a crucial role. When the war ended, she was restored to her former glory and continued passenger service. In 1966, Queen Mary was for sale and winning bid was $3.45 million dollars and thus began the ship’s new journey to her new home in Long Beach, California.http://www.queenmary.com/Our-Story.aspx

• Business Travel

Scorpion Russian Submarine

by Yaqui Written Oct 24, 2011

The Soviet designated "Project 641" Diesel Electric Attack Submarine, known to NATO as the Foxtrot Class, was one of the most successful class of submarine ever in service to the Soviet Navy. Seventy-nine Foxtrot's were constructed by the Soviet Union, the second largest class of submarines ever built by them, and the b-427, code named "Scorpion", was one of their best! Manned by a full compliment of 56 sailors, 10 midshipmen and 12 officers. For 22 years, the missions undertaken by "Scorpion" are shrouded in secrecy. In 1994, "Scorpion" was decommissioned and ended her 22 year career as a Cold War Warrior. In 1995, after negotiations, "Scorpion" was purchased and with the help of the Russian Navy was transported to Sydney Australia for display at The National Maritime Museum and 3 years later to Long Beach California.

First Class Passage Includes:

Adult: $10.95, Senior (55+) & Military: $9.95, Child (5-11): $9.95

• setikeyvan's Profile Photo

Beautiful and Historic Ship

by setikeyvan Written Mar 23, 2009

I first visited the Queen Mary when I was a child and I remember feeling butterflies in my stomach the night prior to our visit. My anticipation was well rewarded because I remember being so impressed and in awe of this huge, beautiful ship. I recently returned to visit the Queen, as an adult, and my experience was, yet again, very rewarding. One of my favorite movies is Titanic and so now I looked at this ship with a much more romantic and historical eye. I really enjoyed all the nautical details, the historical exhibits and the antique and authentic architecture. The ship is really well maintained and it's wonderful for photography lovers, families and historical buffs all the same. The views of the harbor are just grand and because it's not overly crowded you can thoroughly enjoy the ship and all it has to offer. The day of my visit I saw a couple getting married there. It was a very nice set up - white chairs and quaint wedding details on the promenade dock over-looking the harbor. Not a bad place to get hitched that's for sure!

• Cruise

• starrlot's Profile Photo

The Haunted Queen Mary

by starrlot Updated Dec 9, 2007

Since it was the week of Thanksgiving, there were not a lot of people on board the Queen Mary on the day we explored her. We purchased a Paranormal Passport that allowed us the Ghost and Legends and Paranormal Tour.

The Queen Mary is immense in size, almost double the size of the Titanic. After dining on the Promenade Cafe and shopping in the various shops on board, we realized a walking tour might not be very handicapped friendly. I had various locations I definitely wanted to see, so I skipped the tour and immediately went on the ghost hunt. There are numerous plaques hidden throughout the Queen Mary so you walk through every part of the ship and see just about everything she has to offer looking at these plaques. Along the way, I stopped at the gallery to see the photography exhibit Woman which was a pleasant surprise for this art history buff.

Another place I wanted to see were the propellers. However, they were closed off, but with a simple question of permission, I was led personally to be able to view the massive propellers still under water. Another place I was able to get VIP access was to the Queen's Ballroom, absolutely beautiful.

The ship does have it's problems. It is not entirely handicapped friendly, but you can experience quite a bit with the elevator access. She is also in need of repair in many areas.

I did save my strength for the Ghost and Legends tour which is pretty much a sophisticated special effects haunted house tour. It isn't scary, but quite creepy as you tour the swimming pool, engine room and even experience the rushing water coming in through the bow simulating what it was like when the Queen Mary wrecked.

Is she haunted? While there were extremely creepy areas, she is way too magnificent to be haunted.

Don't forget to stop by the Russian submarine. It is not handicapped friendly, but my son said it was 'AWESOME!'

• Disabilities

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Tour an ocean liner

by kyoub Written Jan 1, 2006

Ship

No trip to Long Beach would be complete without a visit to the Queen Mary. Attractions and accommodations rolled into one. You can take a "Ghost and Legends" tour of the ship and see if you think it is haunted. There is a great view of Long Beach from the deck also.
    As you can see from the photos it was a grand ship in its time.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

RMS Queen Mary

by Tom_Fields Written Oct 17, 2005
    Entrance to the RMS Queen Mary

The Queen Mary was an awesome ship in her day. She was launched in 1934. During World War II, she served as a troopship, mounting anti-aircraft guns and painted battleship gray. She retired from active service in 1967. Today, the old ship serves as a hotel, with restaurants, bars, and halls for special events.

• Museum Visits

Queen Mary lifeboats

Queen Mary lifeboats

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this deck was the Titanic. I am not a fan of Leonardo di Caprio LOL, but I loved the old films of Titanic, It came to my mind the imagines of the people getting into the boats, the fear, the way many gave their lives for others.....

Ok this is not the titanic LOL .. but I just could see the band playing while the boat was going down.....

Queen Mary decks

Queen Mary decks

Next to the restaurant you can visit the shops and walk around the enclosed decks, where they used to play during the trips.

There are some exhibitions, and inside the shopping! ;-)

Scorpio Submarine

Scorpio Submarine

It is included at the visitor ticket of 28 dollars, but as we did not get finally the ticket.... we did not visit the submarine. Also maybe because we are not much interested in submarines and things like that. But I liked this photo, it was the first one of our trip :-))))

The Queen Mary

It is supposed that the visit costs 29 dollars per person, but by mistake or ignorance, we did not do it.

When we arrived, we asked the guy at entrance, how to get to the restaurant for breakfast. We guy asked if we were going to visit the boat, and we said yes of course (as we had in mind doing it), so he said how to get to the restaurant and where to get the tickets.

So we went to the restaurant, had breakfast and when we went to get the tickets we did not find them, so we walked along the boat and visited most of the areas.

At the end of the visit, we saw the tickets place, but we had already seen most of it, expect some rooms, so we headed out ... LOL

So for the price of one entrance, we had both breakfast there.....

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Queen Mary

by Dabs Written Mar 14, 2005

Queen Mary

Even if you don't want to do the tour of the Queen Mary, you should at least go down to the dock and take a look. The first 30 minutes of parking is free so you can park, take a look and hop back into your car without it costing a thing.

If you do decide to board the Queen Mary, the admission price is steep, a whopping $23 just to see the Queen Mary, more if you want to see the Scorpion submarine or have a guided tour.

The Queen Mary, an 80,000 ton passenger ship launched in 1934 and named for the wife of George V, was purchased by Long Beach in 1967 and is the top tourist draw in Long Beach. The guidebook says to allot 1/2 day to see it should you decide to go.

• DaveRowley's Profile Photo

Spooky....

by DaveRowley Updated Dec 4, 2004

History for all to see...
    Very accessible...
    Std Admission for the QM is $23.50..if you pay more you get other additions plus you can tour the Russian submarine that's moored alongside the QM
    A really interesting afternoon and be sure to see the Ghosts & Legends tour......scared I was...scared :-)

Instant Answers: Long Beach

Comments

Hotels Near Queen Mary
3.5 out of 5 stars