Casa La Golondrina, Los Angeles

by Dabs
  • gilescorey's Profile Photo

La Golondrina: Character

by gilescorey Written Dec 7, 2003

Olvera Street, across from Union Station, is somewhat of a failed tourist attraction for LA. Herein lies its charm. A narrow, bricked street, closed to vehicles and packed with knick knacks, Olvera St.(or El Pueblo de Los Angeles) is a fun and earnest stop on a trip through the city.

La Golondrina, nestled in the eastern half, is the oldest Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles. The food is a notch above standard Mexican fare, and the turn of the century dining room will whisk you away. The front patio affords people-watching and scavenging birds.

Favorite Dish: "Chile Relleno de Jaiba" (crab stuffed poblano chile in walnut sauce) is delicious.

• marinarena's Profile Photo

Casa La Golondrina: Eat here still if you can stand the wait

by marinarena Written Sep 6, 2006

Busy La Golondrina restaurant , Los Angeles, CA

This is the most crowded restaurant along Olvera St. This tip could easily be a tourist trap also since it's not the absolute greatest Mexican you'll eat and the number of tourists packed here doesn't make for a very special experience. Still, the establishment is highly desirable. The interior decor is charming and romantic and overall quality is highly reccomendable. Loud and passionate Mariachi bands love to play here,which is either pleasing or annoying to some. It is recommended to tip them a few dollars if you would like them to sereande you.

Favorite Dish: enchilada with pollo (chicken) or queso (cheese) ...always good!!

• Stasigrace's Profile Photo

Casa La Golondrina: While visiting Olvera Street...

by Stasigrace Updated Oct 27, 2003

The Swallow

La Golodrina (which is the word for the bird "swallow") is in the heart of Olvera Street, Los Angeles' tourist trap/historical square/place to shop for funky gifts. It is the only, I repeat, the ONLY, restaurant worth going to on the street.

The patio is a lovely place to sit, although be sure to check out the interior, which is very historical and really beautiful.

My baby cousin really enjoyed the mariachis, and we got him his own kid-sized guitar, which he performed on all night!

Favorite Dish: Guacamole
    Enchiladas mole
    Chile rejeno (in mushroom sauce!)

p.s. Margaritas are NOT well made here. Go for the premium tequila instead.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Casa La Golondrina: Mexican on Olvera Street

by Dabs Updated Nov 25, 2012
    Carne Asada

Normally I eat Mexican food from stands at home and on Olvera Street but when I asked at the tourist desk at Union Station the man suggested La Golondrina which is a sit down restaurant. As I was dining by myself, they asked if I minded sitting on the bar which was fine. Had I been with someone, I would have preferred to sit outside on the patio. It's a very popular place, I arrived just before noon on a weekday and by the time I left it was packed.

Favorite Dish: The food is a little expensive compared to the rest of Olvera Street which is mostly little divey places but my meal was very good. I ordered the carne asada, prepared medium rare, which comes with fresh tortillas, guacamole and pico de gallo ($18).

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

La Golondrina: Get your Mexican Food Fix Here!

by Cruiseone2003 Written Mar 25, 2008

I have fond memories of being a child, living in Los Angels, and coming to Olvera with my parents for our "Taquito fix". We would never eat in the restaurants preferring to eat at the stands instead. It wasn't until I came to Olvera st as an adult that I discovered La Golondrina, a fine restaurant serving up great tasting authentic Mexican Food. What I love about this place is you have the option to sit outside which makes for great people watching and easy to listen to the strolling "Con Juntos" or bands playing Spanish music on request; be sure to tip these guys! If you prefer, you can also dine inside.

La Golondrina also has a full bar and appetizers incase you just want a snack and a cocktail/beer.

Olvera st is one of the original streets in Los Angeles made to look like a Mexican Mercado. I never realized how authentic it was until I traveled to Mexico and Central America!

Favorite Dish: As stated above, the taquitos are my favorite, I prefer them with a green guacamole sauce but La Golondrina makes them with Guacamole on the side and a spicy pico de gallo which is fresh tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno.

After our meal, the waitress tempted me with a Flan, which is similar to an egg custard. She claimed it was the "Best in Los Angeles". I told her L.A> is a mighty big city! She said, "If you don't like you don't have to pay for it". I took her up on her offer and was served up a good portion of Flan, but this wasn't the very soft almost watery flan I am used to, this was more solid and heavy but was full of flavor and quite good. I liked the sprinkling of walnuts and raisins on top and a bit of whipped cream on the side. WHen the waitress returned to see what I thought I told her, "You win, it's the best in L.A."

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

La Golondrina: Olivera Street restaurant with authentic cuisine

by Roadquill Written Aug 25, 2005

La Golondrina on Olivera St.

Nice mexican food place in the heart of Olivera Street. A short walk from Union Station. Authentic menu. Music,
    Casual is fine.

Favorite Dish: Just an overall nice place to go when visiting downtown.

Instant Answers: Los Angeles

Comments

Hotels Near Casa La Golondrina
4.0 out of 5 stars