Fred 62, Los Angeles

by TxDevil
  • Grantman's Profile Photo

Fred 62: Comfortable Comfort Food

by Grantman Written Mar 8, 2006

Everything is tasty, service is friendly and prompt, and to add to the prior reviews: they sell beer and wine, there is parking lot for $3.50 (one block north, 1/2 block east), and at night the lights are dimmed so it is not as bright as the photo during the day. Two can eat with a beer apiece with tip for under $40 easy. Cozy booths, a fun place to eat with a friend. Open 24/7/365.

Favorite Dish: Jacks in the Hole: fried eggs inside holes cut in toast. Thick bacon. Curnchy waffles. Tuna stack and BLTLA (avocado).

• Study Abroad

• rattay's Profile Photo

Fred 62: Late Night Diner

by rattay Updated Jan 27, 2006

A previous VT review already describes the food pretty well - American diner food and beyond, Fred 62 style. Burgers, fries, noodles, eggs, soups, sandwiches, onion rings, ice cream. You get the idea. There are also many vegetarian options such as tofu chilequiles that can easily be made vegan. I just wanted to add that it is in Los Feliz, not Silverlake and is open 24 hours and is thus very popular with scenesters out for a meal after the clubs close.

• emilesc's Profile Photo

Fred 62: Great greasy spoon

by emilesc Updated Aug 29, 2004

My friend invited me to dinner here, telling me that it's home to the "fried mac and cheese ball." Did someone say cheese? Naturally, i was intrigued.

Lots of delicious fried food you shouldn't be eating but can't resist anyway. Cute diner setting with the walls littered with the bad local contemporary art typical of many LA coffeehouses (picture borrowed from citysearch.com). We had a sassy but helpful waitress, I think she might have been typical of the restaurant - this is Silverlake, after all.

I'm told this restaurant is popular with the after-hours club crowd. How they can find parking anywhere is beyond me. I parked above Franklin.

Favorite Dish: They describe the fried mac and cheese balls as "spicy," but they aren't, really. Which is good since I have no tolerance for spice. Highly recommended - our group of six started out with a plate of these and some onion rings, which are some of the best you'll ever have.

I ordered an Amsterdam - an egg sandwich with hashbrowns on a buttered roll. I try to avoid red meat, so I substituted cheese for bacon. They have a number of "towers" - club sandwiches that live up to their name. Another friend had a chicken pot pie swimming in a basil sauce. I tried a bit of that, and it was scrumptious.

Sodas came in huge I would say 32 oz glasses and refills were included.

For dessert I had a homemade chocolate chip cookie. It was good, but I should have stuck with my instincts and gotten a warm pumpkin-flavored "punk tart" (a 21st century twist on the pop tart) instead. They were unfortunately out of ice cream, so I can't tell you how any of the sundaes fare, though I hear they are favorites of regulars. Next time, I will try the Hunka Hunka Burning Love pancakes with peanut butter and bananas and caramel.

• TxDevil's Profile Photo

Fred 62: good eating, good celebrity spotting

by TxDevil Written Sep 5, 2002

Fred's

Yea so it's kind of expensive. But good atmosphere and its open 24/7

Favorite Dish: Don't remember what I had, but you toast your own toast etc.. at your table with your very own toaster

Instant Answers: Los Angeles

Comments

Hotels Near Fred 62
3.5 out of 5 stars