Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles

Know about this? Rate It!

• DueSer's Profile Photo

Think Blue - Dodger Stadium

by DueSer Updated Jan 20, 2009

My goal in life is to visit every baseball stadium in the Major Leagues.

Dodger Stadium is special because it is my home stadium. I've been there more times than I can count. It's always a pleasant experience.

1) Arrival & Departure
    I give this a 4 (on a scale of 1-5 where 5 is best). It has improved over the years with the addition of a subway to the train station and then a shuttle from there to the stadium. The parking lot around the stadium can be a little confusing but there are always ample spots and the view of downtown Los Angeles from up there is amazing, especially at night. My biggest complaint is that when you're leaving in the dark it is very hard to see on some of those roads around there. They could use more lights.

2) Food
    The infamous Dodger Dog! I give this a 5. The Dodger Dogs are fantastic. They offer several other things to choose from (but if I don't get a DD I feel like I'm missing something), including Carl's jr french fries that come in a Dodger helmet - very cute. The peanuts are always fresh and those frozen lemonade thingies are delicious.

3) Comfort
    Well, I give this a 5. They have made it more comfortable over the years. The walk in the from parking lot can still be a real challenge (trying to get across traffic and up the hill) but once inside, the stadium is very comfy. The seats are all new and there is a good amount of space between rows. There are also ample restrooms.

4) Enjoyment
    I give this a 5 as well. They use music a lot here. I believe they are one of the last stadiums to still have a real live person playing the organ and her choice of songs is always hilariously appropriate to the situation. The recorded music they play always perks everyone up as well. There's also an "All You Can Eat" Pavillion, cheap seats so everyone can afford to go, and a great tradition of, as the Dodgers take the field, letting kids go out on the field with the players to get an autograph. It's adorable. Plus we have Vin Scully and he's the awesomemest awesome that ever awesomed. He definitely adds to the enjoyment of the game.

Overall, I give it a 4 1/2. They say they're going to be "improving" the park by adding a lot of things around the stadium but I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy so I'm not sure about these changes. This is one of the oldest parks in MLB, oddly enough, so I hate to see them change it too much. It's a fun place to go.

Just a side note - if you're visiting from out of town and would like to go and the team is on the road, you can always take a stadium tour. They are really interesting and fun and you get to go not only out onto the field and into the dugout but also into some behind-the-scenes places most people don't get to go.

Equipment: If you are going to a game during the day, be sure to bring a hat, sunscreen, and plenty of water! The heat can be overwhelming. In the Spring & Fall, however, the opposite is true. Those night games at the beginning and end of the season can get extremely cold, so don't assume that just because it is SoCal you'll be warm. Bring a jacket and gloves.

Before they made some changes

• Erin74's Profile Photo

Here is the deal with Dodger Stadium...

by Erin74 Written Oct 22, 2003

Dodger Stadium is located in the Chavez Ravine, north of Downtown Los Angeles. If you're going here to watch a Dodgers game (and you should when you're in town), you'll need to drive to the stadium. Parking is $8. Get there early because traffic backs up quickly. The real reason Los Angelenos don't turn up until the third inning isn't because they don't care, it's because the freeway is congested.

During the summer, day games can get really hot. If this bothers you, ask the ticket salespeople which sections tend to get more shade.

Dodger Stadium is fine but not fancy. It doesn't have the modern sophistication of Safeco Field or the charm and history of Fenway or Wrigley. It's very functional, however. Even in the upper decks, you can see the game fairly well.

While you're at Dodger Stadium, be sure to try a Dodger Dog. Can you get a better hot dog in Los Angeles? Definitely. But somehow the old Dodger Dog still hits the spot around the fourth inning.

Equipment: Don't forget to wear sunscreen!! It gets hot out here. You'll also want sunglasses.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Take me out to the ballgame...

by Etoile2B Updated Feb 16, 2007

I suppose you might notice a theme on my sports pages in major cities across the United States. Yes, folks, I am a baseball fan. I was raised watching the Angels play in Anaheim but was always a Cubs fan (don’t ask me why). My father is a die-hard Dodgers fan (as is Marc) and they keep trying to convert me. Dodger Stadium isn’t the nicest stadium I’ve been in, by far. In fact, despite a recent renovation, many fans want a new stadium. Nevertheless, it’s always fun to go up and see a game here. The stadium is downtown adjacent and tickets are still reasonably priced. If you’re in LA during baseball season (April – October) it’s a great place to spend an afternoon and see a game.

• spgood301's Profile Photo

A Yankee fan at Dodger Stadium

by spgood301 Updated Aug 28, 2005

Dodger Stadium is one of baseball's signature ballparks. The home of the LA Dodgers since 1962, it's an LA must do if you're a sports fan.

We had great seats in the second level, behind the 3rd Base (Dodger) dugout. We were right on top of the action, could see everything, and we saw a great game too.

Though the sightlines were terrific, Dodger Stadium is showing it's age a bit. The aisles are very narrow-only one person at a time. And men, beware of the "dreaded trough"-enough said there.

One warning: when we bought tickets for another game, the box office didn't have a seating chart. We bought $45 tickets that frankly weren't very good. That seating chart would've helped.

All that said, Dodger Stadium is as beautiful in person as it is on TV. If the Blue are in town, you'll kick yourself for missing them in action-even if you're a Yankee fan like me!

Dodger Stadium, by day

• spgood301's Profile Photo

Getting to and from Dodger Stadium

by spgood301 Written Jun 13, 2005

Getting to and from Dodger Stadium can be interesting. Keep in mind that it's not near any trains or buses so, if you're going, you gotta drive.

It's mainly off the 101 and 110 freeways. Driving to the stadium is fairly easy. Leaving can be another matter-the freeway numbers aren't marked getting out of the parking lot. Next time, I'll remember what the Pasadena Freeway is.

Rookie.

Dodger Stadium at Night

• malianrob's Profile Photo

LA Dodger Family

by malianrob Written Feb 17, 2006

Since I could remember I was going to watch Dodger games with my family. I knew it was a tradition we could not break so now I do the same with my kids. I try to go to as many Dodger games as possible.

• Best Seats in the House

by Jabberjenn Updated May 5, 2004

You can't go to L.A. without visiting Dodger Stadium. This pitcher-friendly ballpark almost resembles a minor-league stadium with its open-air outfield. Each seat in the house offers tremendous views, and the old-school design of the stadium allows you to continue watching the game even when you're waiting in line for an ever-so-expensive Dodger dog.

Don't expect to do much before and after the game around the stadium, since there really is nothing surrounding the stadium but one big parking lot...no bars, no restaurants, nothing. For me, it really didn't matter though....after drinking several $8 beers in the stadium, I was too broke to go anywhere. But all in all, the historical significance of this famous stadium (which opened in 1962) is truly worth the visit.

Any seat is a great seat in Dodger Stadium!

• PartyRambo's Profile Photo

Boy, they got big balls out here!

by PartyRambo Written Oct 13, 2003

Dodger Stadium...
    It's quite a trip to be here, even when empty like a ghost town.
    Wandering around in the clear blue sky, makes even a non-fan like me, think how nice it would be to sit in the stands with a hot dog & a beer & watch a game.

• DJ_Rolo's Profile Photo

Los Angeles Dodgers, the only LA team!!!

by DJ_Rolo Written Aug 20, 2008

Dodger games are great, but LA dodgers vs the Anaheim Angels of LA or is it the LA Angels of Anaheim (freeway series) are the best!!!

This was my first time sitting in the outfield since they turned it into an all you can eat pavillion. The outfield seats are always the craziest. This is where the rowdy people sit and where most security is. Its fun out here, but sometimes hard to pay attention to the games.. it costs something like $35 but you get all the hot dogs, popcorn, nachos and some other stuff included in that price.

The Dodgers won this game 1-0 in a no hitter, so we were there to witness history...

we came here for the first part of my cousins bachelor party, id say it was 50/50 Dodgers to Angels fans

• marinarena's Profile Photo

Think, See Dodger Blue!

by marinarena Written Aug 24, 2006

Your Los Angeles or So Cal experience lacks if you haven't been to a Dodger game. You don't even have to like baseball to attend. Come for the historical part of it, come to see fun L.A. people having a good time, come because it is one of a few ball parks that doesn't have a
    ca-ca corporate name, come to see how nicely it has been remodeled, and if not any of these, come to eat the legendary Dodger dog in its original settings.

The home of the L.A Dodgers (the "blue" crew) first opened in 1962 and has since been a popular summertime hang out in Los Angeles. Situated on the Chavez Ravine, it is a fine piece of property overlooking downtown and other surrounding parts of the city. In the past year, the park has been remodeled to reveal itself vividly. Throughout the park is particularly clean and well-maintained.

True blue baseball fans can appreciate this park particularly because it is a "good pitcher's par, thus favoring a competitive game. When I first went, I could barely call myself a baseball fan but I did feel something special here just looking around. People were animated as they cheered for the team and to each other, and were just comfortable as they unwinded. Overall, there was a warm feeling and there continues to be so. 2006 has another highly attended year with the team drawing about 45,000 for most nights.

For public transit to arrive here, the park is near Sunset/Innis. Use Metro Bus #2, which is off Pershing Square downtown. Expect an uphill walk though, so you may want to consider a taxi, especially for night games.

Equipment: if you are along the sides of the field in the field sections, you may want to consider bring a glove to catch a potential fly ball.

• DJ_Rolo's Profile Photo

Los Angeles Dodgers, the only LA team!!!

by DJ_Rolo Written Aug 20, 2008

• PetraG's Profile Photo

Think blue

by PetraG Written May 14, 2003

If you can find the time and get some tickets (best way to buy: via internet), watch a baseballgame of the LA Dodgers. It's a great event and you'll have a lot of fun, if you're interested in sports!

in the Dodger stadium