Disneyland, Los Angeles

4.5 out of 5 stars 59 Reviews

Anaheim, Harbor & Katella Blvds.

• Chris_Louise's Profile Photo

Magical Place

by Chris_Louise Updated Sep 13, 2005

Haunted Mansion

We started our day disappointed. It was wet, cold and we really thought the day was ruined. LA was in the middle of having 11 inches of rain in 4 days when they usually get 13 inches a year. We got on the tour bus to head out there and the rain had stopped but it was cloudy, dark and looking like it was waiting for us to get there before it rained again.

We arrived hopeful and just started to enjoy the day. Even though it had been raining all morning there was still people everywhere. We headed through the gates and instantly you are in a world of its own. Characters everywhere. Ols style buses and trains carrying people around. Shops full of lollies.

We made our way around most of Disneyland. We didnt get to everything but did most of what we wanted to. We found 1 day enough but apparently, even though we thought it was packed, it gets a lot more crowded and if this is true you will need 2 or 3 days to do it all. The line ups can be huge. Make sure you use the front of the line passes. You can use 1 every 3 hours. It saves you about 45mins every time you use it. Pick the popular rides you want to do the most.

Pirates of the Caribbean was by far the best experience. It starts out as a really short rollercoaster ride underground and then becomes and incredible journey through a town that has been taken over by pirates. It was brilliant. We tried to go back for a second look and to take video of the whole thing but we ran out of time. If anyone films this we would love to see the footage so please contact us if you do. Keep your video in the case until after the short ride as there is a bit of water involved.

Other good attractions include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and The Haunted Mansion. We missed the Indiana Jones attraction. The line was too long and we ran out of time.

In short, go early, stay late, use the front of the line passes, pick out what you definately dont want to miss and make sure you do them first, buy gifts at the end of the day outside the theme park and enjoy the experience.

• spgood301's Profile Photo

California Squeamish

by spgood301 Written Aug 7, 2005
    California Screamin'

It's actually California Screamin', and it's the big roller coaster at Disney's California Adventure park. I'm not much of a roller coaster guy, but it was quite fun-I didn't even scream. Come to think of it, I don't know if that's good or bad!

More educated Disneyphiles I know criticize California Screamin' for not having a "story", like most Disney rides. It's really just a Disney roller coaster. But try it, it's still fun. And, if you look, it's got Mickey!!!

• spgood301's Profile Photo

A California Adventure

by spgood301 Written Aug 7, 2005
    California Adventure-Not the GGB though

It's California Adventure, Disney's newsest park, right across from Disneyland. It's more of an adult park. The kids will enjoy it for a while, especially the 3-D Muppet show, but they'll soon start dragging you across the street.

My favorite part was the simulated flight over California, where you "fly" over places like Yosemite, San Francisco, Palm Springs, Monterey and, yes, LA. Beware though-if you're afraid of heights like me, it may be a bit of a nail biter. It's quite an attraction though, and I'm glad I did it.

If you're planning Disneyland trip, I would give California Adventure no more than a half a day. It's got some fine attactions, but it's not worth a whole day.

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

by meteorologist1 Updated Jul 19, 2005
    Hollywood Tower Hotel

Disney's California Adventure as well as Disneyland are two great theme parks that offer fun for the whole family. You won't be disappointed at all. This is the happiest place on Earth! Having been to Disney World in Florida, I have the impression that these two parks are smaller than the ones in Florida. But the fun is same! My favorite remains the Tower of Terror elevator drop at the Hollywood Tower Hotel (which the Disney-MGM Studios in Florida also has). There are many duplications in the rides and shows between the California and Florida parks though, but there are some special ones in California like the excellent Aladdin musical spectacular and Soarin' Over California.

• styxcheryl's Profile Photo

A Dream Come True

by styxcheryl Written Jun 18, 2005
    My Daughters and I

Try to arrive early and get on the most popular rides first. To visit Disneyland is magic. Rides I enjoyed most were It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Thundermountain Railroad, Splash Mountain. Fantasmic was the night show when I was visiting - it was so good I saw it twice.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

The Happiest Place On Earth

by Etoile2B Updated Apr 3, 2005

The Haunted Mansion Christmas

Disneyland needs no introduction. It’s home to rides, shows and parades and Mickey Mouse. Some say the rides are a bit dated and geared more toward children. You won’t find the park filled with mammoth roller coasters that reside at other area amusement parks, but a trip here helps us all find the kid inside. Compared to Walt Disney World in Florida, the original park is smaller, more compact and easy to navigate. The rides are constantly being updated, during the Off Season rides are shut down for routine cleaning, inspection and renovations. One of the most famous coasters here, Space Mountain, has been closed for several years undergoing a major restoration, reopening later this year (2005) with a brand new track.

Overcrowded during the Peak Season (June - August and end of November - December), the best time to avoid the masses is on fall weekdays, but if your holiday schedule doesn’t allow they have installed a Fastpass system which allows guests to insert their ticket into the machine at the most popular rides in the park and skip to the front of the line. The machine prints out a ticket with a timeframe to return to the ride. This service is free, but can only be used on one ride every few hours.

A schedule of events is available at the ticket counter and at guest services on Main Street. All the parades run down Main Street (where most of the shops are at the front of the park) and people line the streets sometimes several hours in advance to get a good spot. Fantasmic is another crowd favorite and after dusk it’s not uncommon to see people staking out places near Pirates of the Caribbean waiting for the show. The characters can usually be found around Sleeping Beauty Castle and Main Street, but some do roam the rest of the park. And the park offers a couple sit-down restaurants in addition to the plethora of walkaway eateries.

Disneyland is still a great way to spend a day in Southern California and this child at heart never grows tired of it. It never gets old… just more expensive.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

by Etoile2B Updated Apr 3, 2005

Disney's California Adventure

California Adventure is Disney’s new theme park. Built on Disneyland’s old parking lot, this park is smaller, and a little more adult. California Adventure’s two biggest draws are the roller coaster and the Tower of Terror. It’s California themed “lands” include Hollywood and the Wine Country. In fact, the Wine Country in California Adventure is the only place in either park that serves alcohol. The Electric Light Parade moved over here from Disneyland when the park opened a few years back. Another popular attraction is Soarin’ Over California. And don’t forget to check out Disney Animation where guests can learn all about the animation process. Frankly, California Adventure isn’t worth the price of admission. Tickets are the same price as its sister park next door, but should be cheaper. The best way to see this park is to buy the “Park Hopper” ticket, which allows guests to move between the two parks.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

by Dabs Written Mar 8, 2005

My first visit to Disneyland was many many years ago, so long ago that they were still using lettered tickets for the rides instead of all day admission. My most recent visit to Disneyland was in 2002 when I visited with my sister in law and two nieces, Caroline and Olivia. I still love Space Mountain, the teacups, the Haunted House (done up with Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas design back in 10/02) and Pirates of the Caribbean.

It is more convenient to stay in Anaheim, we stayed right across the street at a Best Western and were able to walk to the park.

Depending on how many days you want to go for, there are park hopper passes that allow you to go to both Disneyland and California Adventure. We bought a 2 day park hopper at our hotel that I hadn't seen advertised anywhere else.

Two of the best websites with info on Disney are Mouse Savers and Disboards

• sunsea's Profile Photo

by sunsea Written Jan 28, 2005

There`s magic in the air, how they say.
    Save your time and take FASTPASS!
    Just insert your park entrance ticket into Disney`s Fastpass station at a participating attraction.
    We didn`t know that, so we wait...and wait...

• Adventure Travel

• shivan's Profile Photo

The main alley. And me with...

by shivan Updated Sep 27, 2004

covered as I were at the North Pole

The main alley. And me with even a coat on!!!
    Weather was quite hot, and I can't recall a decent reason for being so covered.
    This kind of coats didn't make my Disneyland day pleasant, but it has been my fault for sure...

• shivan's Profile Photo

by shivan Written Sep 27, 2004

Disneyland

The most famous Disneyland.
    It stands in Los Angeles (well, "in" is improper because the L.A. metropolitan area is larger than 200km, and Disneland itself, that was INSIDE L.A., was more than 100 km away from my hotel...
    I have never seen in my life a more perfect machine to make money.
    Hundreds of people crowding everywhere not caring at all the absurd prices.
    It is babies' paradise, definitely the best place where to spend a day with your children.
    At the entrance there are a large number of ticket offices. After about 1 hour of waiting you'll get a fabulous "1 day passport" at the price of 42 USD.
    Inside, all the attractions are free, but sometimes you'll have to stay in queue for more than one hour. This picture shows the bright colours of Disneyland, and the queues...

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

by K.Knight Written Jul 24, 2004

Walt and Mickey.

Take the Disneyland Drive exit off Interstate 5 in Anaheim, California--just south of Los Angeles and you are there.
    We came armed with a seven day pass and used every day of it. Sure there are rides for the liitle munchkins but we decided to go on every ride at least once and see every show at least once so that we could say that we have done everything there is to see or ride at Disneyland!
    Our favourite ride would have to be the Indiana Jones Adventure and you should experience this first! Star tours, Space mountain and the haunted mansion were also fantastic rides.
    Disneyland is rather expensive to purchase food and we found ourselves making sandwiches etc to carry in a backpack.

• joits's Profile Photo

Happiest kids on earth...

by joits Written Jul 17, 2004
    Disneyland

If you're visiting the LA area and you have young kids, this is THE place to go. They will love you for it. There's other stuff that will keep parents interested as well, the parades, the fireworks, and the rides.

And they just recently build California Adventure so buy tix to both to save money.

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Visiting Disneyland !

by dragontml Written Dec 28, 2003

Does anyone go to Los Angeles and not visit Disneyland?

Apparently the happiest place on earth ?

The park is divided into four different lands: Adventureland has a jungle theme and features Indiana Jones and the Forbidden Eye;
    Frontierland celebrates the myth of the Wild West;
    Fantasyland devotes itself to Disney's favorite characters; and
    Tomorrowland is (you guessed it) all about the future.

• Theme Park Trips

• You cannot come to L.A. and...

by arielmerm8 Written Aug 26, 2002

You cannot come to L.A. and not visit DISNEYLAND!
    If you have time to see only one of Disney's parks in California, choose Disneyland! Disney's California Adventure is okay on the fun scale, but nothing beats the original. You don't have to bring a kid to enjoy the place, you just have to enjoy acting like one. Best time of year is Feb-May, to avoid major tourist season and big lines. Be prepared for a one or two rides to be closed for maintainance this time of year, however. If you go during the busy season, make sure to make use of the 'Fast Pass.' Also, the nighttime show 'Fantasmic' is worth the cost of admission alone! I know the location of every bathroom, restaurant & drinking fountain in that place, so let me know if you're planning a trip & I'll help out as I can!

Instant Answers: Los Angeles

Comments

Hotels Near Disneyland
4.0 out of 5 stars