Olvera Street, Los Angeles

4 out of 5 stars 61 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • Olvera Street
    by MJL
  • Día de los Muertos altar (November 2012)
    Día de los Muertos altar (November 2012)
    by Dabs
  • shop (tienda), Olvera St, Los Angeles, CA
    shop (tienda), Olvera St, Los Angeles,...
    by marinarena
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

    Olvera Street

    by Dabs Updated Nov 25, 2012

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Last visit November 2012

    Although a bit of a tourist trap, Olvera Street is still a lovely place to stop for a short visit if you find yourself in downtown LA. Olvera Street is a pedestrian only street that is only about a block long, stuffed full with Mexican eateries, both sit down and take out, and Mexican craft stores. You can't walk down the street smelling that delicious food and not stop to have a taste. On my last visit in November 2012, I sat down at La Golondrina, a popular restaurant about midway on the street.

    In November 2012, Olvera Street was decorated for Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), which is celebrated November 1-2, with some family shrines in the plaza area, the stores selling items with skulls and skeletons, many people with life-death makeup, half of the face covered in skeleton makeup.

    Olvera Street is home to the Avila Home, built in 1818, considered the oldest building in LA. Admission to the house, decorated as it might have been in the 1840s, is free.

    There are several parking lots in the area, I didn't feel like trying to drive around and find a free space so I used one of the lots, the lot I found was a flat fee of $6 on a Saturday (April 2007). You can also take the metro to Union Station and Olvera Street is a very short walk from there.

    Please see my travelogue for a few more photos of the area.

    Olvera Street D��a de los Muertos altar (November 2012)

    Was this review helpful?

  • marinarena's Profile Photo

    Visit the Roots of L.A. at Olvera Street

    by marinarena Updated Nov 11, 2012

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The L.A. story begins here! Calle Olvera (Olvera St) is a vibrant part of El Pueblo de Los Angeles, right off Union Station and close to the 101 freeway- so easy to arrive here! The area is known as the official birthplace of the city of the Angels. Originally, the Native American Tongva nation settled here in the L.A basin.

    Mexican culture flourishes here, however, there are hints of Chinese and Italian influence with nearby Chinatown (which actually was originally on Olvera St) and Little Italy (which is slowly resurfacing but is as of yet not in your face) .

    Often deemed a tourist trap, the calle is bustling equally with neighborhood dwellers and tourists alike. OK, first time here, go ahead and get you a pancho, sombrero or cute pequeño Mex trinket. But please avoid getting to obvious fake merchandise like Dora the Explorer purses and other suspect branded paraphenalia.

    If hungry there are about half a dozen quick service taco/burrito stands from which to choose but more notably for the restaurant experience, Casa La Golondrina and El Paseo are the classic choices here.

    On weekends, there is sure to be live Mariachi music and other cultural presentations in the plaza. Many of the events are conducted in Spanish, but even if your espanol is muy mal, the rich live music transcends language.

    Olvera St. in Los Angeles, California Olvera St shop, California tiendas (stores) at Olvera St area, Los Angeles park area, Calle Olvera, Los Angeles, California shop (tienda), Olvera St, Los Angeles, CA
    Related to:
    • Food and Dining
    • Historical Travel
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Olvera Street 1877

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    It's original name was Wine street, but in 1877 the street was extended and the name was changed to Agustin Olvera the first county judge of Los Angeles who had a home at the end of the street across from the Plaza. The beautiful huge cross was erected at the south end of the street, along with many of the beautiful huge trees you see today. The Olvera Street opened Easter Sunday (April 20), 1930.

    When Christine Sterling first saw Olvera Street in 1926, she was appalled with the condition of the decaying buildings. This wonderful lady went on a mission to save this whole area of El Pueblo. She raised awareness and the funds to renovate and now it is famous for many yearly celebrations such a Cico De Mayo and so many more wonderful celebrations. It's market place has some wonderful restaurants and souvenir shops. It is the hub of many daily community activities.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Garnier Building 1890

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Built by Philippe Garnier from France. It was the oldest and most important building of the original Chinatown that housed important Chinese businesses and associations. Part of the building was lost due to the freeway in the 1950's that now houses the Chinese American Museum.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Vickrey/Brunswig Building 1888

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This gorgeous building was built for commercial and residential use. The building housed the Braun Drug company in 1897, which became the Brunswig Drug Company in 1907. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Departments crime laboratory was here 1940s-1960s. It survived a terrible fire and decay, but has been lovingly restored and will be part of the soon-to-open Plaza de Cultura y Artes.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Italian Hall 1907

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This wonderful building was one of seven buildings associated with the Italian community from 1855-1930s. It was used for many political and social functions. Up towards the roofline is a mural painted by David Alfaro Siquieros "América Tropical" on the south exterior wall in 1932. It was considered controversial and ordered whitewashed. Its being restored.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Old Plaza Firehouse 1884

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This was the first fire house in Los Angeles that was equipped with fire-fighting equipment and housing for personnel. It is Engine Company No. 1 and was home for the first volunteer firefighters of Los Angeles. It housed the first 38 volunteers, a horse cart and 3 horses for two years. Sadly the firehouse moved out in 1892 due to a legal problems. It served as a saloon, boarding house, drugstore and vegetable market over the years. In 1953 like many of the wonderful buildings here became part of El Pueblo Historical Monument. It since has been restored and opened as a museum in 1960. It contains beautiful fire fighting equipment, historic photographs and maps.

    Also located here is an California Historical Marker No#730 Old Plaza Firehouse, the plaque reads: "Dedicated to the firemen of the Los Angeles Fire Department-past, present, and future-who, by their courage and faithful devotion to duty, have protected the lives and property of the citizens of Los Angeles from the ravages of fire since 1871. This was the first building constructed as a fire station in Los Angeles. Built in 1884, it served as a firehouse until 1897. After this it was used for various purposes until restored in 1960 and opened as a museum of fire-fighting equipment of the late 19th century."

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Biscailuz Building 1925

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Built on the once site of Juan Sepulveda's adobe, it served as the United Methodist Church Conference headquarters, the Plaza Community Center and the Consulate-General of Mexico. Named after Eugene Biscailuz, a former Los Angeles Sheriff in 1968 since he had helped Christine Sterling to save this historic section of Los Angeles. It houses the Mexican Cultural Institute and visitors can also enjoy the Institute's Spanish-language Bookstore, Resource Center/Library, Art Gallery with an exhibition of paintings by emerging Mexican artist Jose Ramirez from Los Angeles

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Brunswig Annex 1897

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Built on the old site of the old Los Angeles Gas Company. It was the Braun Drug Company showroom and Brunswig Drug Company. Acquired by Los Angeles County in 1946, along with the Vickrey/Brunswig building next door. Used in the 50's as Los Angeles County employees and a Sheriff's crime laboratory. After the 1971 earthquake the facades were removed and it went into decay. The buildings are being retored to their former glory and will be part of the soon-to-open Plaza de Cultura y Artes.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Old Winery and El Paseo Inn 1870

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Antonio Pelanconi who owned the Pelanconi House, now the La Golondrina Restaurant on Olvera Street. He had the old winery built, but he died in 1879. His widow carried on in his footsteps in business. The building was subdivided and in 1930 the El Paseo Inn moved into the southern end. Now there are administrative offices and an art gallery.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Hellman-Quon Building 1900

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This was the former home of Isaias W. Hellman a prominent Los Angeles and San Francisco banker. It was eventually sold to tenant and important Chinese businessman Quon How Shing in 1920, but eventually became part of El Pueblo historical site 1953. The Las Angelitas del Pueblo volunteer group live here now and they offer free tours of El Pueblo de Los Angeles and the el Pueblo Education Center.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Sepulveda House 1887

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This lovely Victorian buildilng serves as a museum and visitors center. Senora Eloisa Martinez de Sepulveda lived in this beautiful Eastlake Victorian design that cost of $8,000 to build. It had at one time, 22 rooms, 2 commercial businesses and 3 residences. You can enter into the building from Olvera Street or from Main Street. Some of the rooms are on display and they even have a wonderful little theatre that shows a 18-minute film on the history of El Pueblo de Los Angeles.

    Main Street Main Street Olvera Street
    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Masonic Hall 1858

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    If your familiar with history, Masonic Halls were and still are very popular within many communities across the United States since the 1800's. Established as Lodge 42 Free and Accepted Masons and served as their hall. The first floor served as a furniture store, pawn shop, and eventually the whole building served as a boarding house. During the 1950's it was decaying and it was saved and now it serves home again Los Angeles City Masonic Lodge 841.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Pico House 1870

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Pio Pico was the last governor of Mexican California that sold his land in the San Fernando Valley to be able to build his grand hotel that was Los Angeles' first three story building. The hotel once boasted as the "finest hotel in Southern California," with "bathrooms and water closets for both sexes" on every floor that had 82 bedrooms, 21 parlors, two interior courtyards and a French restaurant. Sadly he lost the hotel by foreclosure in 1880. Served as the National Hotel from 1892-1920. Its been restored and used for cultural events.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Pelanconi House 1855

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    It stands as the oldest brick building in Los Angeles that was built by Giuseppi Cavacciand an Italian vintner. It was bought by Antonio Pelanconi in 1871 and was used as a wine cellar. In 1930, Senora Consuelo Castillo de Bonzo in 1930 bought it creating La Golondrina restaurant making it the oldest restaurant on Olvera Street.

    Olvera Street Facing Main Street.
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Los Angeles

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

40 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near Olvera Street
3.5 out of 5 stars
1 Review
0.2 miles away
Show Prices
3.5 out of 5 stars
2 Reviews
0.8 miles away
Show Prices
2.5 out of 5 stars
1 Review
0.8 miles away
Show Prices

View all Los Angeles hotels