Universal Studios, Los Angeles

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 120 Reviews

New ride for America's real first family
    by Paisleypaul
  • John195123's Profile Photo

It's Universal

by John195123 Written Feb 17, 2014
    Universal Studios, California

I'm sure most people, at least in the US, are aware of what Universal Studios is. So, I'm not going to go into great detail, but I will say that the amount of detail and effort put into the attractions is impressive and, for many people this is quite a trip.

I'm not a huge fan of expensive tickets, tourist activities and long lines. That said, I had a great time at Universal Studios as an adult, and I'm sure your kids will enjoy it all the more!

At the very least, it's an iconic US landmark representing the great Hollywood history.

Universal Studios - The Blues Brothers Revue

by TravellerMel Written Oct 19, 2013

The Blues Brothers Revue - this was our favorite show. We love the musical stylings of the Blues Brothers, and this show has all the music you know and love, and maintains the story line of trying to get the band back together. All ages seemed to love it - it is audience interactive and the kids danced the entire show. So much fun!

Universal Studios - Jurassic Park - The Ride

by TravellerMel Written Oct 19, 2013

Jurassic Park - The Ride - this was my favorite ride (we rode it twice). A water ride, starts off very pleasantly floating through Jurassic Park and seeing some of the cute, gentle dinosaurs. We "accidentally" get off the track (you see the "broken" boat in the tunnel where we are "supposed" to go) and find ourselves in the Restricted section - we see the raptor cage and the electric fence which appears to be non operational. It goes very awry from there, including a close encounter with a T-Rex, and the obligatory waterfall. LOVED it! :-)

Universal Studios - Transformers - The Ride 3D

by TravellerMel Written Oct 19, 2013

Transformers - The Ride 3D - this ride was AWESOME! My husband and I are still talking about it and asking "How did they DO that??". I am not familiar with the Transformers (they were more my brother's genre), but it didn't matter - they did a great job with familiarizing you while you wait in line. The concept is you are a "recruit" to fight the bad guys. You are teamed up with a newbie transformer, and are immediately sent out into battle - OMG!! The 3D effects are incredible - you actually start to believe your conveyance is being hit and falling and turning around to avoid capture... This ride is amazing - it was my husband's favorite ride, and I loved it too!

Universal Studios - Revenge of the Mummy- The Ride

by TravellerMel Written Oct 19, 2013

Revenge of the Mummy - the Ride takes you into the deepest part of the pyramid, where you have come across the curse of the Mummy - can you escape? Very cool special effects - a "dark" roller coaster so it is hard to keep your bearings. I think at one point we were actually going backwards! It is a thrilling roller coaster - don't eat right before you go in... I liked it - my husband was actually made slightly nauseated by the strobe effect.

Universal Studios - Tour

by TravellerMel Written Oct 19, 2013

I've been called a "movie freak", but I married a "freaking movie freak", so I knew during our trip to California, I HAD to take him to Universal Studios to see "where the magic happens". The first thing we did was take the studio tour, which loads you onto a tram and takes you into the back lot. This is way cool - they were filming the day we were there (it is a working studio) so the enclosed "sets" were off limits, but the main back lot was all ours. The tour has a video accompaniment to the tour guide, which is awesome! Our guide would tell us what we were looking at (see my second photo, which is "Courthouse Square") then the video would show clips of the movie/TV show where we have seen it (the Square was in all the Back to the Future movies).

There are also several movie-related attractions on the studio tour, including King Kong 360 3-D (breathtakingly awesome - it was super immersive and felt so REAL); the plane crash site from War of the Worlds; and a drive through the Jurassic Park set (crashed cars, dino bones, and even a dinosaur!). There are also the "old favorites" which I remember from previous trips to Universal - the Bates Motel from Psycho (we were greeted by Norman Bates!); Jaws (sinking boats and shark attacks!); and the flash flood (video to be uploaded shortly).

I LOVED this tour, as did my husband - it was a great start to our day at Universal Studios.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Movie madness-Universal studios

by albaaust Updated May 24, 2013

One of the characters designed to

This was quite an interesting thing to do and there is no doubt you need to allocate a day for this activity. As we are adults travelling without children we were not interested in the various rides only in the different "shows" that were offered. If you do have children then definitely the whole day.

There are various performances at staggered times. As you enter the area you will be given a map of the area and the performances and times. Have a look at time slots and if you can, work out what you want to see beforehand. I suggest you start with a tour of the back lots beforehand as this takes about an hour and is usually the most popular and you do have to queue unless you have a special ticket. Sit on the left hand side of the trolley for the tour. Of the performances Water-World very good - watch out for plane from the back middle left! Don't sit in the front row if you don't want to get wet and don't arrive late!! The special effects performance was also good. Shrek was corny.
    We bought a special "front of queue ticket" from the Qantas activity page which meant we did not have to line up with the hordes of people. You can also order tickets online from the Universal Studio website. http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/tickets/2-days-for-89/

We took our own little cans of tuna and muesli bars and just had a coffee as we know what the costs of a meal is like at places like this!!

• Photography
    • Theater Travel

• lusha86's Profile Photo

Awesome!

by lusha86 Written Mar 19, 2013

I went there alone! But it was so fun! I screamed like a kid and had a blast! It is a little bit expensive but it totally worth it. Avoid long lines with the "special pass" they sell. With this pass you don't have to wait in line. I would do it again for sure!

• solopes's Profile Photo

Universal Studios

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

Los Angeles - USA

If you don't care about artificialism...

If you don't bother staying in long lines...

If you have time... and money...

That's a funny place to spend a couple of hours, or more. I've been in Orlando's Walt Disney's parks and couldn't avoid comparisons. The same kind of creations and amusements, but still interesting, with attractions to all ages. The earthquake in the subway is really convincing.

• Universal Studios

by eyasmin123 Written Dec 9, 2011

We went there on Monday, in December. Weather was not bad and it wasn't full with crowds. Preferred parking fee was 20$ and entrance was 77$ (You can come back again, it is one year fee) It opens at 10am and close at 5pm. It is really hard to get done all the events they have. What we could be able to do was Terminator 2 3D, Shrek 4D, Waterworld, Jurassic Park, Studio Tour, Mummy, Horror House. Terminator 2 was good, but i think not good enough for "Universal" I expected more than that. Shrek was funny 4D is always good. Waterworld was so freaking amazing!! I would never expect that much. It is not just watching, they are really good at involving you to the show. The best part to sit is back in the middle. Do not sit in the front, I am warning you. I don't want to give any spoiler but just don't sit in front! :D Water,fire, acting, technology, bombs.. It was so good.. Jurassic Park was good too, It was kind of rollycoster after you get out of the boat, make sure stop by the photo store and laugh yourself how funny screaming you are, even though you don't buy it. Studio Tour was the unique one, It gives you opportunity to see the set of Desperate Housewives, War of Worlds, Physco, CSI NY and many many of them. Also you can see alive set, while they are practicing. you can experience Earthquake, flood, world's largest 3d (king kong) Dancing of Cars and many things like that. MAKE SURE you're sitting on the LEFT SIDE. It is so stupid i was the first person who got in the little bus, but i had to stand up to see most of shows. Mummy was rollycoster ride in dark. It was good, you never know where you're going it was really scary actually.. Horror House was walking stuff. I jumped couple of times.
    After all my favorite is waterworld and studio tour. Because they were unique. You can't find anything even that.
    PS-For lunch i would say go outside of the Universal, and eat at the western bar. I had Thai peanut salad. It was so good. Also the portions are huge. You can feed 3 people with only one portion.

• Mayura.L's Profile Photo

Universal Studios

by Mayura.L Written Nov 7, 2011

A plane crash - it looked so real !

After a not-so good night sleep…jet lag I mean….we managed to push ourselves out of the hotel by 10:00am to our next big Destination Universal Studios. It is a working studio with many serials(Desperate Housewives), movies are in action when you take the tour. My first impression after seeing the site map was, how the hell are we going to finish this in 1 day…..GULP ! We really enjoyed the 45 minute tour however the 45 minute waiting time for the tour was never ending, but it was worth it ! On the tour we were taken around the various sets and they showed us how the floods, fire, car chases & plane crashes etc are done in studios….seemed very realistic, the effects were so real….its amazing….even the 360 3D king kong and dinosaur fights seemed so real….that my 4 year old had a scare attack and she started howling…..it was a nightmare for her but it was compensated when she saw Dora….he he he….:) We enjoyed the rides too…..the Jurassic ride had a drop in the water and it was quite thrilling to see the dinosaurs….:) Mummy Returns Ride was okay too….The best thing that we liked about both the rides is they have single ride lanes which have absolutely 0 waiting time as compared to the normal lines. And with small kids its a blessing ! Mandar and Chat enjoyed the Termiator 2 - 3D which I and Nat conveniently managed to skip. We did enjoy the street shows. We also saw SHREK 4D, amazing effects and when the seats move and rock….u really had it….Chat enjoyed it a lot. We also enjoyed the Water World show….the picture comes to life with death defying stunts, awesome explosions and an ocean of thrills, the guys really were awestruck and wish they would get a chance to ride the jet skis….ha ha ha. So oververall a fun filled day and we went back to our hotel talking about the thrilling experiences we had.

Unique Things that I liked about Universal Studios - It has to be the Studio tour, its mind blowing. I also tasted Churro for the first time here. Its a the spanish Doughnut made out of fried dough pastry, with cinnamon sprinles….it tastes yummy with Coffee….:)

• roel121479's Profile Photo

Universal Studios Backlot Studio Tour

by roel121479 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I love theme parks and one of the best theme park that i really really wanna go back is at Universal Studios HOllywood. I love the place coz its cozy. I like the Backlot Studio tour because it takes about 30 - 45 mins of tour w/i universal studios theme park and its a journey onto the Backlot, behind-the-scenes and on actual sets of the world's biggest movies - and catch an inside glimpse of films currently in production - on the legendary Studio Tour. Riders will take a tram. What do you expect to see and experience?
    1. scene from the movie earthquake- experience a very shaking moment under the bart station. If you're in the right, there are lots of chances to get wet and on the left you get a chance to feel the heat of the fire from a burning train.
    2. Scene from the movie jaws.- its a bit thrilling and makes you wet also specially if you're in the right side of the tram.
    3. scene from King Kong - cool too 4. House on Fire
    5. mini town of Hill Valley of Back to the future
    6. A thrilling ride to pass by a very old wooden bridge-a bit scary
    7. you can see the view of hollywood and also warner bros studio
    and many many more... this ride willl let you experience the real film making including some camera tricks.
    TIP: Try to catch a tram ride during the afternoon around 3pm so its not that hot.

• 10110's Profile Photo

Universal studios

by 10110 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Universal studios

If you are intrested in american movies this is the place for you! It's the worlds biggest moviestudio and themepark. They have 14 activities. Studiotour, Rugrats magic adventure, Blaszone, The Blues Brothers, Waterworld, Animal planet, Terminator 2: 3D,
    Back to the future the ride, Spiderman rocks, Mummy returns, Backdraft, Jurissic park, ET, and special effects. Blaszone and Rugrats magic adventure are Nickelodeon activities. Their are 'waterplaygrounds' for kids. Blues brothers, Water world, animal planet and Spiderman rocks are shows. Check out my Travelogue on Universal studios.

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

The entertainment Capital of LA?

by Mr.Sparkle Updated Feb 19, 2011

Does LA have a Capital? According to Universal Studios it does and they are it. All joking aside, its an expensive park to go. The entrance price is steep (cheapest tix price is $74), and once inside they will gouge you for every cent on food and drinks.
    If its summer, or a popular day, expect long lines that extend inside the rides for quite some time.

the rides and shows are fun, but can be a little short.

The Studio tour is pretty cool, as it mixes some real back lots with the 'king kong' 3-d ride. the running commentary can be a bit much though, and very cheesey at times.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

museum of contemporary art

by mindcrime Written Feb 3, 2010

museum of contemporary art

MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) is the MOMA of LA but although interesting when you first go in it gets boring after a while with a lot items that are considered as modern art but they are just useless (and pretentious) even to describe them. As always I enjoyed some paintings, some thought-provoking photos but nothing else and there were so many installations there leaving you with that “what’s this?” look on the face.

The entrance fee is $10 (students/seniors $5, children under 12 free). With the same ticket you can visit the Geffen Contemporary too (there’s a free shuttle between the 2 of them in weekends).

It’s open Mon&fri(11.00-17.00), Thursday(11.00-20.00), sat&sun(11.00-18.00). It is closed on Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Los Angeles

Comments

Hotels Near Universal Studios
4.0 out of 5 stars