Universal Studios, Los Angeles

4.5 out of 5 stars 121 Reviews

100 Universal City Pl., Universal City, CA 91608 (800) 864-8377

New ride for America's real first family
    by Paisleypaul
    Main Entrance
    by Jiang_Cucha
    Shuttle buses to studio
    by albaaust
  • mindcrime's Profile Photo

museum of contemporary art

by mindcrime Written Feb 3, 2010

MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) is the MOMA of LA but although interesting when you first go in it gets boring after a while with a lot items that are considered as modern art but they are just useless (and pretentious) even to describe them. As always I enjoyed some paintings, some thought-provoking photos but nothing else and there were so many installations there leaving you with that “what’s this?” look on the face.

The entrance fee is $10 (students/seniors $5, children under 12 free). With the same ticket you can visit the Geffen Contemporary too (there’s a free shuttle between the 2 of them in weekends).

It’s open Mon&fri(11.00-17.00), Thursday(11.00-20.00), sat&sun(11.00-18.00). It is closed on Tuesday/Wednesday.

museum of contemporary art
    • Museum Visits

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Universal studios

by mindcrime Written Feb 3, 2010

We spend a full day at Universal Studios. The ticket gives you access to all the attractions so it’s worth to take advantage of it as it is very expensive ($69 general admission). You may want to try the Front of Line Pass ($99), with this you get priority access to all rides and attractions, something very usefell considering the long lines some popular rides have(it’s not so nice to wait 45-60 minutes for a 5 minute ride, isnt it?)

If you like theme parks you like this one too but here you wont find many rides, it’s more about the movies. The first thing we did was the Studio Tour, it was kind of boring in some parts but interesting in some others, the little train takes you through the back lot of the studio, if you are lucky you may pass from a movie filming. We saw the wreackege from War Of the Worlds, explosive special effects, and other demonstrations such of an earthquake, rain and flood, maniacs (pic 4) and car crashes (pic 5). We passed by the area where the Jaw had filmed etc Dont forget to sit on the left side of the bus, it has better views ;)

The rides and the other attractions are spread over two levels (upper Lot and lower Lot) so if you dont have a lot of time you may want to check the schedule first, for exable the Water World runs only at 13.30 and 16.00. We checked the program and started to try...

The Revenge of the Mummy ride, is a great roller coaster, it goes very fast inside the dark, but it only lasts a little (1,5 minute, some other say this is good though), we even enjoyed the Simpsons ride, actually we were at the same spot all the time but the 3D movie was great! Take a funny face at the end they will take a pic of you. Now that I say this I have to admit that we spent an extra fortune for some silly photos of us like this :) For free you can have some photos with some charactes like the Simpsons, Shrek/Fiona/Donkey(pic 2), SpongeBob etc Check the program for timetables though

The park is full of restaurants and souvenir shops (expensive as usual) full in kitchy decoration but we were in LA and didnt have much problem with that :) Of course the small kids were really excited, some Rides arent for them but they will enjoy the show of Universal’s Animal Actors(pic 3), trained dogs, birds and cats will surprise them for sure.

The Special Effect Stages had some funny presentations and we got surprised of some simple but hard to imagine techniques, while at Backdraft we saw some extra fire special effects. We got bored with Shrek 4D show, T2 was better and we had fun with Jurassic Park ride (pic 1). For Waterworld be there early to grab a good seat and avoid the wet spots :)

The park is open daily 10.00-18.00

aaaaahhhhhh Shrek and Fiona kiss me darling! I will find you! so this is what they do!

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

./ Yes the Universal's here ./ ./ ./

by Paisleypaul Written Jan 3, 2010

This is a great day with children or not. In May 2008, the Simpsons ride was only just opened -it is a re-branding of the old Back to the Future idea, meaning the car wobbles dips rears up etc. but the real sense of motion is mainly from the surround screen.

Revenge of the Mummy is also relatively new, it is a reversing rollercoaster ride through animation base on the modern franchise.

Others are Jurassic Park - a sail through the automated dinosaurs to a T Rex encounter, and the Universal Horror show based on classic 1930s and even 1920s (Chaney Phantom) characters and sets which you walk through while being menaced.

There are shows explaining sound effects and such like in an entertaining way and the 3D cinema live action melange Terminator-2.

We only snacked here and ate at the Hard Rock Cafe on Universal Walk adjacent the park.

There is a great Kwik E Mart gift shop by the Simpsons Ride; you can buy a can of Duff - it's a glucose or energy drink and not the beer inside so all can join in!

New ride for America's real first family NOT On sale at the Kwik E Mart - but Duff is! Revenge of the Mummy - mainly a rollercoaster Universal Horror - generic Frankenstein assistant Jurassic Park - sail to the dinosaurs

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Universal Studios

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 18, 2009

It's been a while since I last went to Universal Studios. I think is was 1994. So, going back was like everything was new again because the themes, rides and shows have changed. This is a special event at this time of the year, Halloween Horror Haunt. Special rules apply such as not being able to dress up in costume and the hours are from 7pm to 2am. What's great about Universal Studios compared to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and Magic Mountain is that it's not so much about the rides but the shows. And I know that doesn't sound like much but that is actually quite entertaining. Currently, the main rides at Universal Studios are the Mummy ride, Simpson's Ride and Jurrassic Park Ride.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Thrill Rides and your favorite shows/movies

by jumpingnorman Written May 28, 2009

Going to Universal Studios has always been fun for me when I was younger, so I decided to bring the twins when they were just less than a year old – LOL! I’m not sure if they appreciated it, but my wife and I sure did! Hehehe…

Of course I love the classics like the set of Jaws, and going on that train ride…and seeing the set of Back to the Future and the TV show Desperate Housewives.....But now, the place always thrills by adding new technology to its rides and shows. Now, they have the Revenge of the Mummy thrill coaster and the Jurassic Park 80-foot raft plunge! And then a Shrek and Donkey on an ogre-the-top adventure in Shrek-4-D.

And don’t forget the Universal City Walk – LA’s best shops, all-new cinemas and restaurants…

The tickets may be restrictive to some – so look around for magazine clippings or even deals on their internet site. But, if you do want the thrill of Hollywood when in L.A., you really just have to visit this place! It’s Awesome! I have to bring the twins back there again – soon!

Universal Studios, Los Angeles Universal Studios, Los Angeles Universal Studios, Los Angeles Universal Studios, Los Angeles Universal Studios, Los Angeles

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Backlot!

by machomikemd Updated Sep 29, 2008

The Universal Studios in Universal City is one of the many attractions in the Greater Los Angeles Area. The primary attraction here is a "sneak peak" into the production backlot of famous old and new movies and tv series like Psycho, Moonlighting, War of the Worlds, Terminator, A Team, etc with corresponding special effects. Universal has hosted spectators at its studios since the 1920s, and began tram tours in the 1960s. In the late '80s, it opened its lower lot, expanding Universal Studios Hollywood to a full-fledged theme park with many branches like in Florida, Tokyo, South Korea and dubai. Other than the popular backlot tours, it also have fun rides like the Jurassic park, terminator, The Mummy, Van Helsing and Waterworld included in the ticket.

General Admission for Universal Studios Hollywood is $64.00. However those under 48 inches tall are admitted for $54.00, and children 2 years and under are admitted for free.

Opens: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm everyday.

pose where's kevin costner? jurassic hello!
    • Architecture

• Universal Studios

by grantravel Updated Sep 9, 2007

If you are holidaying in LA, then a trip to Universal Studios for the day is a must.

We took the advice of doing the lower lot first. Most people start at the upper lot and work their way down in the afternoon. The lower lot opens an hour after the upper, so use this time to visit the most popular of the upper attractions. We used that time to go on the studio tour so we didn’t miss out on it later on. The narrated tram tour takes you through the studio's active back-lot, and demonstrations of special effects such as an earthquake, Jaws, King Kong, a flash flood, car crashes, and takes you through famous movie sets and TV shows from Universal movies. Sit on the left hand side of the tram for the best views.

As for the rides, The Revenge of the Mummy was the best by far. It’s a slow ghost train that turns into a flat-out roller coaster ride in the dark. The Jurassic Park ride was okay too. It’s your typical flume type ride with one big drop at the end. All the other rides were pretty lame. I suppose this theme park is not about the rides, it’s more about the shows. The Waterworld show was really good, it used explosions, jet skis, boats, a plane crash, and stunt people galore to keep you more than entertained. Make sure you get in early to get a good seat because there are wet and dry zones. You might end up soaking wet if you’re late, unless that’s what you want. The T2 show was cool too.

If you also intend on visiting SeaWorld or the SD Zoo in San Diego as we did, you should definitely buy the Southern California City Pass. It entitles you to a 3-Day Disneyland ticket, and 1-day tickets to Universal Studios, SeaWorld and a choice of SD Zoo or SD Zoo's Wild Animal Park. You can purchase this ticket from any of the parks. It's a great saving!

Universal Studios Universal Studios- Jaws Universal Studios- T2 Universal Studios- Waterworld Universal Studios- Donkey

• simshi's Profile Photo

Nice theme park

by simshi Written Aug 23, 2007

For someone who is not really keen on thrill rides, Universal Studios was perfect for me. It had many shows and attractions that was fun, but easy on the heart. Go for the normal day pass, you don't really need the VIP pass. I went there in the Summer, and the lines weren't that bad.

• Reviled's Profile Photo

Awesome theme park! Just awesome!

by Reviled Written Aug 21, 2007

I loved this place too, it would have been alot better without any of the queues, but hey, whats a theme park without lining up for an hour to get on the coolest ride in the park! Definately worth a look! I especially loved all the shops and lights they have in the Universal walk, best thing is, its free to go and have a look, unlike the park itself...

• coopergirl2003's Profile Photo

Universal studios

by coopergirl2003 Written Apr 26, 2007

We spent a day at Universal which was just 15 minutes drive away from our hotel. It's not about scary rides which suited me to the ground, it's more about movies and how they're made and the special effects with a few rides thrown in. We bought a pass which gets you to the front of the queue which only really came in handy for the Mummy ride as it had a 45 minute wait time for a 1 minute ride. You could buy a special access all areas type pass that I wish we had got cos they were shooting CSI at the time and you were able to go into the film studio....if only I'd known!!! It's my favourite show!

At selected times in the day there were stage shows with some reasonably well known actors starring in them. WELL WORTH going to them! THe waterworld show was so good we went twice...the film may be complete pants but the show was amazing...just be prepared to get wet!

• WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

A dive to the big money film industry

by WanderingFinn Written Feb 19, 2007

Even though Universal Studios is known by everyone and in a way a tourist trap; it is a very special experience at least for those (like me in 1992) who have not seen how movies are made.

For me the best place was the Special Effects House. It was great to see and hear how in different times the effects have been and are made. It was just unbeliavable how simple means were used; it needed just a little bit of imagination. They showed a lot of samples.
    The top of all was when we made our own short movie - volunteers were taken to the stage and everyone had only one task. Someone said something, the rest were silent and did something like rolling stones inside a box (=thunder) etc. Then they showed us the result - what a big laugh!!!

Miami Vice Stunt Show Wild West Stunt Show Special Effects House - the man before... ...and after! The spacecraft in Star Trek - believe it or not!

• Muya's Profile Photo

A day with Woody, Dora, Spidey and the others

by Muya Written Jan 16, 2007

We first wandered through Universal Studios CityWalk before getting to the park itself and stopped to look up at the Shaq :-)

Then Woody Woodpecker greeted us and we discovered the giant globe announcing Universal Studios...Believe me, it is already thrilling at this point !

We started with the "studio tour", seated in a sort of little train that drove us around, showing us the other side of the picture. Some of the classics line the road : Jaws, Jurassic Park, King Kong, Bates Motel... We saw stage 25, where they shoot CSI and even got a glimpse at Wisteria Lane !!! Can't believe that ! :-)

It's really fun and instructive to anyone who likes the movies ! We loved it.
    A few rides and bottles of water later, we were ready for Hollywood Boulevard !

At the feet of the World Gui at the feet of the Shaq My pic with Dora :-)) Yes that's really Spiderman :-) Woody and friends

• epiCurator's Profile Photo

Standard+ for a theme park

by epiCurator Written Sep 21, 2006

Universal Studios is not a bad place to visit, especially if you love movies. There's lots to keep you entertained, and you can burn off all the junk food you've scoffed by walking around this huge park. The rides are fantastic, for the most part -- really exciting. But of course there's the standard merchandising outlets on your way out, which you of course feel obligated to make purchases at. It's pretty expensive, as most theme parks are. But this place is at least interesting, especially if you don't have young children travelling with you and want something a little more 'grown-up'.

• tere1's Profile Photo

If you like theme parks...

by tere1 Written Sep 13, 2006

It seems that the Universal Sudios tour is one of the major atractions in Los Angeles. I guess that for people who like theme parks they will like it. As it's not my case I found it a tourist trap and a rip off. I paid $59 for an average show and tour about how supposedly films are made.

I think kids will like it and if you have children do take them though some parts may be a bit scary for young children. But we were grown ups and I think it was a poor atraction. I didn't like the make believe of it all.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Universal Studious- This is Hollywood live

by SLLiew Written Aug 28, 2006

A must see destination when in LA movie town. Easy to park in the multi-story car park buildings - just remember where you park - I did not.

There are several sections of the studio. Beware of monsters or ghouls appearing live while you are waiting for your ride to start. Then there is "Jaws" and "King Kong' robots - to give your a laugh but be careful for young children and those with weak hearts.

If you want to participate in any of the live shows, go early, seat in front, wear something attractive and quickly jump up when volunteers are asked. This could be your ticket to your Oscar.

My favorite ride is Jurassic Park. Just be aware of the final wet plunge.

Instant Answers: Los Angeles

Comments

Hotels Near Universal Studios
4.0 out of 5 stars