Driving, Los Angeles

Know about this? Rate It!

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Speed Limits on Pacific Coast Hwy

by Roadquill Written Apr 19, 2005
    Warning Traffic Sign near San Diego - Funny!

When cruising up Pacific Coast Hwy from Santa Monica to and past Malibu, the posted speed limit is 45 MPH in some areas and 50 in others. However, the traffic tends to travel 5 to 10 MPH higher than the posted speed limit. The police will ticket anyone going 10 MPH over the speed limit. If you just drive the speed limit be sure to stay in the right lane.

I included the unrelated picture of the warning sign down near San Diego where illegal immigrants race across the freeway just because it is funny. But people do try to run across PCH, so you have to be careful.

• Drive

by dutchguy001 Written May 16, 2005
    Empty roads

If you get a chance to be in LA or around LA like I've had, get a car... Preferably a convertible because the weather is great around here most of the time.

The costs are relatively low, I rented a Ford Mustang Convertible for around $150 a week with unlimited miles. The roads are quite good, parking is never a problem, the only thing to avoid is rush hour. You don't want to stand in a traffic jam for hours just because you and 2 million others want to go to the beach at the same time.

• spgood301's Profile Photo

In LA, it's all about the car

by spgood301 Written Aug 7, 2005

You really do need a car to get around LA-there's no other way around it. LA's got a bus and train system, but it's just too spread out to navigate without driving.

I found the freeways a little intimidating at first-hey, I heard all the stories. I did acclimate myself to them rather quickly though. One piece of advice: don't rent a small economy car-you simply need a faster car in LA.

• draguza's Profile Photo

No Walking in LA!

by draguza Written Aug 9, 2005
    In the freeway

If you wanna visit LA, bear in mind you really do need a car. In fact, due to the long distances from one place to the other, it is impossible to reach a spot just on foot!

I was the only person walking there!

• Chilita's Profile Photo

Don't come to L.A. if you don't drive!

by Chilita Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's simple, you need to have a car in L.A., if you're thinking of not renting a car and getting around with public transportation or cab, just forget it!, even though everybody says californian drivers are horrible, don't be scared getting around in car is not hard! Yes you'll probably get stuck on the highway...face it you can't avoid it. Just try not using them early in the morning nor after working hours. L.A. is so wide and the tourist places you'll want to go are so spread out a car is a must. You can use the subway to go several place it's pretty cheap,clean and fast, just make sure to plan you trip in subway,unfortunatly the public transportation is not going everywhere.

• bee77's Profile Photo

Getting through LA's traffic nightmare

by bee77 Written Aug 1, 2004

Without a doubt, traffic in LA sucks! And that is putting it mildly. I can proudly call quite knowledgeable about LA traffic as I am literally a professional commuter and am always willing to share my words of advice. If possible, try to avoid driving during "rush hour" traffic. Rush hour times are Monday to Fridays from 6am to 9am and from 3.30pm to 7pm. Also, plan to have some really good music, to help deal with the driving rage and snail pace crawl. And remember, BREATHE!

• Shakermaker's Profile Photo

by Shakermaker Written Feb 26, 2005

Like everybody says, you have to have a car in LA. The seocnd time I went to LA i didn't have a car cause i wasn't old ebough to rent one so I had to use the great public transportation. I waited for a bus for more than an hour.....so just be smart and rent a car. Still, you will be sitting in traffic more than once that's for sure.
    Traffic in La is horrendous and rush hour times are from around 8am to 9:30am and from 4pm to 7pm (it actually depends on the freeway). The worse freeways are the 10 and the 405, the 210 is pretty bad too.
    The best thing is to understand that you will lose time in traffic and that no matter which freeway you choose, it will be packed with cars, so just take it easy, find a good radio station and enjoy the trip!!

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Road Rage Bumper Sticker

by mcpangie Updated Jan 5, 2004
    Don't Shoot, I'll Move Over!

This isn't my tip, I found this bumper sticker on a California-registered vehicle on the freeway system in the greater Los Angeles area. "Road Rage" was probably a term coined in California, where in the 1980's people actually shot people who wouldn't get out of their way. Don't worry, I was the passenger when I took this picture. After seeing this I wasn't about to drive erratically!

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Driving In My Bug

by mcpangie Written Jan 5, 2004

There must be more Volkswagon Bugs per capita than anywhere else I've ever been. Of course, this picture was taken prior to the new VW Bugs were created. I liked this car's vanity license plates though, so I snapped a picture.

• HouseRiver's Profile Photo

automobile period

by HouseRiver Written Jan 16, 2004

The growth inducement potential of the highways greatly exceeded that of the streecar network because of the expanded scale of the highway system and the accelerating metropolitian growth which coincident with the begining of the automobile period.

• rattay's Profile Photo

by rattay Written Feb 23, 2004

Los Angeles is full of cars and has essentially no useful subway system (although that may be changing). Anyway, avoid driving between 7:45 - 9:30 AM and between 3:30 - 6:45 PM. Rush hour is not fun for anyone and people drive like pricks. If you must drive during rush hour, don't bother using your turn signal to merge, because is seems that people will intentionally not let you over. Best method is to signal AS you are getting over, not before. If you are not driving at rush hour, drive at least the speed limit (which on most freeways is 65 - the exception being parts of the 110), but preferably faster. And don't bother with the carpool lane unless you plan to go 80 mph.

One thing that i like about the freeways in LA is the graffiti - especially the big pieces under the bridges - that you can see from your car. Many of you will probably find that odd or just simply disagree, but such is life.

• JulesRules's Profile Photo

Driving is easy: by all means, go by car!

by JulesRules Written Jun 16, 2003

Six years ago (in 1997) I was in LA too, and found driving really easy.
    Before my visit of this year (2003) I checked the transportation tips here and to my big surprise almost everyone said that driving was tough, but the only way to go.

My tip: just avoid the busy hours: travel between 9am and 4.30 pm and from on 7pm again.

Driving in Sta Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood and Venice is easy. The roads are not too crowdy and I think most local drivers have good road-manners.

• tgreene73's Profile Photo

YOU WILL NEED A CAR

by tgreene73 Updated Jul 10, 2003
    the 405 freeway for most of the day

The reason there are sooo many great cars in LA is that they are completely ncessary. you will be trapped without one, Public transportation sucks and taxis are too expensive. you can enjoy a week somewhere but would be best to have car,but be ready for traffic like you've never seen

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Written Dec 17, 2010

A lot of people say that driving in LA is a nightmare and I have spent a fair amount of time stuck on the 405 cursing at the traffic gods. Always give yourself a cushion if you have to be somewhere at a specific time, like any major urban area, traffic backups can occur at any time of the day, not just rush hour.

I didn't have a GPS on my most recent trip and I didn't even really have a map except for the tiny one that the car rental place gave me so I printed out directions from Bing every morning before I left my hotel. The routing was much different than what I would have picked from looking at a map, I imagine that it is adjusted for known traffic backups and the route was more interesting than sticking to the freeways.

• nkhong's Profile Photo

Driving In LA

by nkhong Written Jan 13, 2011

Los Angeles is a very large spread out city. With the public transportation not being very well designed, it is recommended that you rent a car to get from place to place. If you don’t know the city well, make sure you have a map or better yet a GPS. The freeways can be quite daunting for those who are not used to driving in big cities and be prepared for traffic.

Instant Answers: Los Angeles