Los Olivos Off The Beaten Path

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

LAVENDER FIELDS FOREVER

by travelgourmet Updated May 3, 2009

PURPLE FIELDS OF PURE LAVENDER

You don't have to go to France to see fields of lavender when touring the Santa Ynez Valley and Los Olivos. The Clairmont Farms has five acres of the Grosso variety lavender growing on their farm and they cut, cure, an distill the oils right on the property. Many species of lavender are grown on the farm and they have many organic culinary lavender based products for the skin as well as soaps and personal care products.

A family owned farm, Meryl and Glenn oversee the farm and Glenn was in the boutique area when I arrived. He said that many artists come here to paint the lavender when in full bloom as well as people taking photos. Of course, I chose a day that the lavender was not in bloom, but it still was a sight to see. Located at 2480 Roblar Ave in Los Olivos, California. Open to the public from 10am-6pm daily.

• Seniors
    • Photography

• rjweber21's Profile Photo

Los Olivos Grocery, not really off the beaten path

by rjweber21 Written Dec 21, 2006
    Los Olivos Grocery, not in town

This place is great. My brother and I stopped there on our way out to Foxen Vineyard to grab a bite for lunch. From what I hear, this place has really good dinner as well, but we were there for the BBQ that takes place on the weekends. Are you kidding me? I had a BBQ Tri-Tip sandwich that might have been worth the whole trip. I actually went back the next morning to buy some of the BBQ sauce they used – it really had a nice spice to it. I suggest you pick up a couple bottles if you like BBQ.

You can buy wine at the store inside and pay a $5.00 corkage fee to drink it out on the patio with your lunch or dinner. We hit the whole “Sideways” tour up on the weekend AFTER Thanksgiving, and nobody was up there – it was completely by accident that we chose this weekend, but I think I might make it an annual trip. One last piece of advice from the wine pourer’s at Foxen: Don’t make any Sideways jokes or quotes. Although, Caddy Shack quotes never get old on the golf course, Sideways quotes definitely get old to the workers at the winery who have to hear it every weekend. Cheers!

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Los Olivos

Comments

Los Olivos Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Los Olivos off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Los Olivos sightseeing.