Beaches, Manhattan Beach

3 out of 5 stars 3 Stars - 9 Reviews

117 Manhattan Beach Blvd phone: (310) 545-2523

by bruingirl
    Beaches Restaurant & Bar.
    by Waalewiener
    Kristara - July 2004
    by Yubert
  • Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Beaches: This is the wonderful Restaurant where VT Parties.

by Waalewiener Updated Oct 15, 2004

Beaches Restaurant & Bar.

This great restaurant is the place where our first VT weekender began ,it was a wonderful night perfectly planned by Stephanie and the VT staff ,they had the whole upstairs reserved for us , we had Coctails all you wanted and Horse D''oeuvres were delicious and plentyful .Also was a real treat ,the fantastic view of the Pier & the waves in the water ,the surfers etc.
    Many great friendships were made this evening and Lori & I had a great time
    THANKS VT STAFF and family.

Favorite Dish: Whatever was on this big table was my favorite dish ,and I did my best to taste most of the goodies.

• Goner's Profile Photo

Beaches: Where We Had a Great VT Party

by Goner Written Aug 3, 2003

Beaches Restaurant

The founders of the Virtual Tourist site treated us to a cocktail reception with hors D'oeuvrs and open bar in a large room on the second floor of the restaurant. From the windows you can see the ocean waves breaking by the Manhattan Beach pier. We had our own disc jockey playing the "new disco" music and on the main floor was another "disco". There was a long line of hopefully 21 year olds just trying to get in -- very popular place.

Favorite Dish: There was some really good fried chicken rolled in coconut that I've never tasted before.

• Festivals

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Beaches Closed. Now,The Strand House: A Local--Upscale--Hangout

by lmkluque Updated Feb 9, 2013

Beaches. Now The Strand House

Arriving early, I had the chance to see the clientele arriving and leaving Beaches throughout the afternoon. It seemed to be a relaxed eatery where the bar was most popular. I even saw VT'er Gerry enter and leave, but didn't realize that more VT Staff members were up stairs working all day to make the place look like a VT celebration!

As the time neared for the party to begin I changed my clothes and entered Beaches. The hostess was sweet and welcomed me warmly, but said that I had to wait.

The manager, on the other hand seemed to be a bit up-tight and not friendly at all. Maybe he took himself too seriously or he was used to having problems and set himself on alert. What ever his problem was, he didn't make an effort to be welcoming.

Of course, once I was allowed upstairs, the wonderful VT greeting brightened everything!

Update:

Since my visit, Beaches closed and The Strand House opened in it's place. I haven't been to The Strand House, but have heard that it's quite good. I'd suggest it even for the views. A sunset dinner would be spectacular.

Favorite Dish: First I had a martini and it was delicious. The buffet offered many tasty dishes and I have no way of knowing which of the items appear on the menu. Suffice it to say that the food was good.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Beaches: Catch your sunset and cocktails here!

by travelmad478 Written Aug 10, 2003

I have no idea what the menu is like at this place, but man, it's a scene, baby. The VT cocktail party was held in this restaurant/club. We had a great time drinking, noshing on finger food, and shaking it on the dance floor at our invitation-only party. When we finally left at around midnight, I was pretty happy that I'd been on that guest list--there was a line of people outside the door waiting to get in! I wanted to tell them that this club couldn't possibly be as cool as that, given that I'd just been in there!

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

Beaches: Great view at Beaches

by bruingirl Updated Jun 3, 2005

The ONLY restaurant in Manhattan Beach with an ocean view! You can sit upstairs for dinner and watch the lovely sunset over the water. It becomes a lively bar/nightspot on the weekend evenings. On Saturday nights, you can expect a line out the door, especially during the summer months!

Favorite Dish: They have an extensive menu that includes everything from seared ahi tuna to porkchops to pasta dishes! Something for everyone!

• happyalways's Profile Photo

Beaches: Enjoy the gorgeous view!!!

by happyalways Written Nov 5, 2004

On my first day in Manhattan Beach we all went out to lunch at Beaches. I could not get over the amazing view...ocean, sunshine, sand, and dolphins!!! Although the food did not prove to be my favorite the scenery more than made up for that fact.

• Beaches, Manhattan Beach, CA: WEDDING REHEARSAL DINNER HERE - VERY HAPPY!

by kel11486 Written Jan 17, 2010

We visited Beaches initially for lunch. I had just previously eaten at Rock Fish, and ordered the Fish and Chips at both restaurants... Beaches won best dish, hands down (more fish and less breading and BETTER breading), AND the plate was much cheaper than the plate at Rock Fish.

The view from the top story won us over, and we brought our families there for our wedding rehearsal dinner. If you're going for glamor and glitz and bus boys in suit jackets, you may not want to come here, BUT if you want a great meal at a very reasonable price from an accommodating and friendly wait staff - this is the place to go. Our families spent dinner passing plates so they could try all the dishes, and they still won't stop talking about what a cool place Beaches is... The bread is awesome too.

Now I'm hungry... think we might swing by for dinner tonight. :-)

• Beaches: Rude Staff Member

by newmom Written Mar 20, 2008

I have been to this restaurant on numerous occassions, primarily for the view. If you have children this is not the place for you. There is a silver/white haired older man who is terribly rude! I don't think the restaurant was actually open yet, but the door was open and I needed a level place to fill my babies bottle because I was holding him at the same time and there was a table right at the entrance. Of course, I asked if it was ok and he snapped and growled at me that he didn't understand what I was saying. I tried to explain, but he was just a jerk so I took my baby and walked out. He then proceeded to slam the door shut behind me. I have eaten here before and the food is ok. There are SEVERAL other restaurants in the area that are much friendlier with better food. I will never go back to this place and neither will any of my friends or family. Avoid if at all possible.

Favorite Dish: none

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

The Beaches Restaurant: It's a happening place

by BLewJay Updated Feb 24, 2004
    Party mongers

This was kickoff location of the 1st ever VT Weekend party and what a great place to start. Family oriented and great food make this a nice place to visit when you venture to Manhattan Beach.

Favorite Dish: We had an abundant choice of items to choose from...Coconut Battered Chicken, Beer Batter Fried Calamari, Beer Batter Fried Fish Sticks, Southwest Chicken Wraps (sauce, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes), Vegetable Tray (celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.), Tortilla Chips (with dip and salsa) and Carrot Cake (with sour cream frosting).

Instant Answers: Manhattan Beach

Comments

Hotels Near Beaches
4.0 out of 5 stars