Houston's, Manhattan Beach

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Houston's: In search of a perfect French dip

by Dabs Updated Oct 29, 2007

The perfect French dip!

I was looking for a place to eat on a Wednesday night and my 1st choice, Il Fornaio, had a 1/2 hour wait and the hostess there suggested I try a Mexican place called Cozymel. I missed the turn and as I was turning around I spotted Houston's and decided to give it a go. There was a wait here as well but the hostess said it would only be about 15 minutes and that was pretty accurate. I was dining by myself so I was glad that the service was fairly quick and friendly.

I think this would be a nice place to take a date if it were not for the no reservations policy (I read someone's comment that they did get reservations so call just to be sure). The atmosphere is warm, the lighting low and the service friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had done some research on French dip sandwiches before this trip and I remembered that Houston's had come highly recommended so I opted for that.

Yes, the French dip sandwich was expensive at $17. And yes, perhaps it's a bit unfair to compare it with the $5 French dip at Philippe's or the $12 French dip I had in Santa Barbara. But there was no comparison, Houston's French dip was far superior to the other two. The homemade French roll was toasted with a light coating of what seemed to be mayo. The meat is prime rib, juicy and medium rare, and came with a nice bowl of au jus for dipping and fries. I think it was the perfect French dip! I didn't even think to ask for horseradish on the side but I will next time.

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Houston's: Great steaks and ribs

by TinKan Updated Jul 10, 2003

Houston's

Houston’s is located on Rosecrans blvd on the east side of Sepulveda blvd. Houston’s is known for its ribs and steaks and its lunchtime specials. Although the specials are not cheap they are very very good and if you are taking a business client out for a nice lunch this is the place.

Houston’s gets very busy at lunch and most people show up around 12 noon so get there around 1130 and you will not have a problem with getting a table.

Favorite Dish: The ribs are great but a bit messy if you need to go back to work.

• Business Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Houston's: Fine Steakhouse & Bar

by heryanta Written Jun 15, 2007

Houston's has a casual yet somewhat sophisticated ambiance. The restaurant is favourite to a rather mixed crowd: from business executives hosting their clients, couples on dates and relatives celebrating the birthday of a member of the family. Phil Jackson of the LA Lakers and his girlfriend have been spotted by the reviewer having dinner here.

The restaurant gets pretty busy on weekdays after 7pm so a reservation is advised. If you can't get a place at the main dining area consider seating at the cozy bar area - with photograph of vintage Barbie lined up by the wall.

Even though Houston's is a steakhouse, being located in SouthBay it has a rather eclectic menu. For example, you can munch on the spicy sushi roll or the mango springrolls before enjoying your baby black ribs. A comprehensive wine list completes the fine dining experience.

Favorite Dish: Baby black ribs followed by warm apple cobbler with vanilla ice .... :)

• kimberlyfisher1's Profile Photo

Houston's: Consistency is Key!

by kimberlyfisher1 Written Mar 2, 2008

Upscale American comfort food at it's best. Quality food, decent wine list, and an upbeat atmosphere make Houston's a favorite for every crowd.

Favorite Dish: Houston's specializes in great sandwiches, including:

*Cheeseburger

*Fresh Fish sandwich

*Famous French Dip (One of the best items on the menu!..Prime Rib thinly cut and roasted...melt in your mouth!)

Other favorites include:

*Spinach and Artichoke dip

*Smoked Salmon

*Roasted Chicken

*Ribs (messy, but great for game day!)

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

Houston's: Consistently Strong

by jrjohnson Written Dec 20, 2004

This place is always packed. If you want to go for lunch, you need to get there by 11:30, or call for a reservation. They have recently started taking reservations for parties of 4 or less. Since they have been doing that, i've been going much more frequently. If you don't have a reservation, you can wait up to an hour to get in at lunch and it can be even worse for dinner on a Friday or Saturday night.

Favorite Dish: The spinich artichoke dip is the best. It is often imitated at other restaurants but i don't think anyone has matched it.

The prime rib french dip is unbelievable. In fact i have one friend who eats at Houston's frequently and he has never even tried anything else on the menu. It is a little strange because i've noticed that at some houston's the will use a different bread than the one in Manhattan Beach, so if you try it elsewhere, the bread might not be as good.

They are famous for the ribs.

All the food is great.

• Houston's: DO NOT EAT HERE

by jnovarro Written Jan 19, 2008

My husband and I went here to celebrate our anniversary. The only reason we came here is because we had a gift card, otherwise we wouldn’t have chosen this restaurant. We made reservations well in advance and confirmed them a few days before, yet we still ended up waiting over a half hour to be seated and the hostesses were very rude about it. The food was mediocre at best. We were pressured into ordering an appetizer even though I really wasn’t interested in one. The salad was awful. Don’t order the Caesar, because it tastes nothing like a Caesar should; it tasted like a Chinese salad. The steak was okay, but way under cooked from what I ordered. To top if off, they wouldn’t accept our gift card. They claimed that it had already been redeemed, but it hadn’t. Instead of accepting the mistake, the manager basically implied that I was a liar. I will never eat at this restaurant again, and I hope you won’t either. This was the worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant in my life.

Favorite Dish: NONE

• lauriejeanne's Profile Photo

Houston's Restaurant: Houston's Restaurant

by lauriejeanne Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite Dish: We wanted a light lunch but the portions ar Houston's are huge, so we shared a sandwich. It was excellent!

• spartan's Profile Photo

Houston's Restaurant: Awesome meals all the time

by spartan Updated Jan 30, 2003

Great atmoshpere with wonderful service and food.

Favorite Dish: Steaks, Ribs, Cole Slaw and Club Sandwich are all fantastic

Instant Answers: Manhattan Beach

Comments

Hotels Near Houston's
3.5 out of 5 stars