North End Cafe, Manhattan Beach

by brewjohnson
  • brewjohnson's Profile Photo

North End Cafe: Boutique Sandwiches and Breakfast

by brewjohnson Updated Aug 29, 2008

North End serves up some of the most unique breakfast and lunch offerings in the Southbay. The menu is inspired by items and ideas the owners have picked up during their travels (you'll know when somebody has gotten back from a trip when there's a new special on the board). Their sandwiches and salads are legendary. Whether you're looking for a cold turkey sandwich and want to jump into a Shellback (Turkey, cheddar, cucumber, guacamole, sunflower seeds and sprouts) or you want a unique inversi sandwich like the Big Jim (Turkey, mozzarella, fried egg and bacon, served over a bed of lettuce), you can't go wrong. Organic ingredients and unique combinations make this my favorite sandwich place... ever. Oh yeah... its also my favorite spot for breakfast.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast: The Tani (corn tortilla, egg, pepper jack cheese, turkey, guacamole, herb salad, sauce)

Lunch: The Vaughan (roast beef sandwich with brie, carmelized onions and horseradish)

Coffee: the Capri (vanilla latte with lemon zest. I only get this on the rare occasion when I feel like indulging. I'm never disappointed.)

• North End Cafe: YUMMY

by mbmom Written May 31, 2007

My son suggested his dad and I try this for breakfast a year ago. I've been hooked ever since. I have to grab a sandwich to go at least once a week and pray for that kid free weekend morning when my husband and I can go sit and have a wonderfully yummy and leisurely breakfast with some delicious coffee. The place is charming and really clean (you could probably eat in the bathroom!). There is nothing I wouldn't recommend.... though I am partial to the Alicia sandwich and garlic fries (the dipping sauces should be bottled). It's a little more expensive than a regular deli, but the ingredients are high quality and the taste is worth it.

I don't know where Jorge went.... but it wasn't here!

• North End Cafe: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

by JorgeCastro Written May 21, 2007

Zero Stars, if this system would allow me. Overpriced food. RUDE scandalous staff, stale bread, and bad cheese.

For an $8 sandwich in a shady part of Manhattan Beach, you would expect something spectacular. In addition, one would expect good customer service, however, the overweight college-kids that work the cashiers are RUDE and function with a sense of entitlement.

The sandwich I ordered certainly fell far below expectations. Soggy stale bread, eggs that smelled almost rotten, and vegetables that appeared to have sat in that dirty kitchen for over 2 weeks. I was afraid I might see a rodent crawling accross the floor.

To make matters worse, the woman who appeared to be managing the place began creating a scandal with a couple of the customers, screaming at them, and eventually throwing them out for reasons none of the other customers could have wittnessed. It certainly ruined my Sunday morning, and put a bad taste in my mouth for this little hole-in-the-wall that appears to be much too overrated and over priced. El Porto can do much much better!

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

North End Cafe: Quality Cafe

by jrjohnson Updated Sep 20, 2005

This is a small locally owned cafe that specializes in breakfast/brunch/lunch items and coffee. All their food is prepared from very high quality ingredients and the price reflects it. You can find a cheaper breakfast meal elsewhere if you're only concerned about price, however the food is so good that I think it's a great value.

They have a large selection of egg dishes for breakfast and an even larger selection of hot and cold sandwiches for lunch.

The thing that I think makes this place so unique is that the owner and his whole family will be working almost every time you visit the place. John is the main guy taking your order and normally his son is working the kitchen and his wife and daughter in law are helping as well. They really take pride in the product they serve and you can taste it. Just watch John make your espresso drink... and you can taste the care he puts into it.

Favorite Dish: Coffee - the Capri. The fresh lemon zest is making my mouth water as I write this.

Food - the Big Jim. a couple of fried eggs with bacon over an open face turkey sandwich with a side salad. It's kind of breakfast meets lunch dish.

• bellemichelle's Profile Photo

North End Cafe: They don't call him "Big Jim" for nothing...

by bellemichelle Written Sep 19, 2005

My boyfriend and I eat here 2-3 times a week because its sooo good. They serve breakfast and lunch Tuesday through Sunday and I tell you this because every time I pass by on a Monday, there's some disgruntled customer outside looking in hoping that he is having a bad dream and that North End is really open. Its definately a local favorite that offers Italian based dishes but isn't afraid of putting a mexican flare on their prized panini's or egg sandwiches. The Huevos Divorciados is one of my boyfriend's favorites, but his go to item is surely the Big Jim, an open faced egg sandwich on a fresh baguette. I would tell you my go to item but I've insisted to try something different every time because its all so good.
    And I would be remiss if I left out the exceptional quality of their coffee drinks. John, the owner, takes a lot of pride in steaming the milk to the perfect drinkable temperature (certainly not scalding like at Starbucks), and adds the right balance of ingredients to make the perfect coffee experience. My favorite is the Capri, a yummy mix of espresso, milk, white chocolate, and a lemon rind to add a fresh flavor.
    I know this seems over the top, but we love it! Bon Appetit!

• Rachel's Profile Photo

North End Cafe': Everything Is Delicious and Different

by Rachel Written Sep 15, 2005

This place serves breakfast and lunch. Feels kind of European but it's not cause people don't really eat like that in Europe. Their sandwiches and meals are very creative and different. They use really good meats and cheeses. It's a kind of casual, beachy place where you sit outside. I don't even drink coffee, but I love their coffee. It's family owned and they are all really nice and give you great advice about what to order.

Favorite Dish: Everything I've had I'd have again, many times. Breakfast are great. I had an egg dish with brie and truffle oil that was great. Salad with a fried egg and checca. Prosciutto..etc. It's all good! Try the Cuban and the Alicia sandwiches are the basic can't go wrongs!

Instant Answers: Manhattan Beach

Comments

Hotels Near North End Cafe
4.0 out of 5 stars