Rock'nFish, Manhattan Beach

120 Manhattan Beach Boulevard (310) 379-9900

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Rock 'n Fish: The Best Place at the Beach

by lmkluque Updated Aug 22, 2014

Rock 'n Fish seemed a popular place in Manhattan Beach. Located across the street from Beaches, I noticed that throughout the afternoon it was full of customers. The happy sounds coming through the open windows and the aroma of seafood cooking convinced me that it was a place I'd like to spend some time. So, I mention it here.

Update:

Well, this time I did go over to try out Rock 'n Fish and I'm so happy I did!!

The place was packed and the wait was 35 minutes. "Party of one please?" The Hostess asked if I'd be willing to sit at the bar. "Yes." I was seated immediately!! Big Plus for the option. The bartender was very nice and as a good bartender would, he made me feel noticed.

Normally I prefer sitting outside to eat but in this case the well air conditioned room was such a nice relief from the scorching sun outside, that I was happy to be there. The place was full of lively people and it seemed more regulars than tourists. After a while a nice young couple sat next to me and we began chatting. Me about VT and they about Manhattan Beach and eventually we moved on to Movies. The time flew by and I'm so happy I decided to return to Manhattan Beach!

I found out that the "Window" turned out to be a Patio with a fence. So much for optical illusions.

Favorite Dish: Sorry I can't recommend a dish as I didn't see the menu. If nothing else, I would suggest at least stopping here for a drink, sit at a table next to one of several open windows and enjoy the motley groups streaming towards the beach.

Update:

So you're wondering about the food. Well it was good as I expected. I started with a Beefeater Martini, on the rocks with olive. It arrived promptly as did the menu. The bartender was very efficient and attentive. A big plus.

I ordered crispy fried calamari to start, the Habachi Teriyaki Chicken (Before it became Rock 'n Fish in 2000, this was the favored Hibachi Restaurant and the Hibachi Teriyaki Chicken one of the items retained from those days.) There was a choice of two sides so I chose clam chowder and steamed veggies. The flavors were great, but instead of steamed veggies I got grilled/roasted and they were undercooked and a bit dry. I did not let that deter me from enjoying the meal. Dessert was Cream Brule. It was made very well, light and delicious.

• Singles

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Rock'nFish: Where everybody knows your name

by brewjohnson Updated Aug 29, 2008

Rock N' Fish is a classic locals restaurant in Manhattan Beach and is definitely our go-to restaurant when we want solid, high quality food. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been disappointed with a meal here (and I eat here at least once per week). In addition to a wide variety of fish options, there's great steaks, as well as a quality wine list that's very reasonably priced (you can find wine here for 30% less than at some other establishments in town). Weekly specials are normally excellent. While the food is high quality, the atmosphere has a casualness that is very appropriate for a beach town like Manhattan. Its not uncommon to find people dressed up for a night on the town in the bar next to guys in board shorts and flip-flops, who rolled in from a day of volleyball to have some Navy Grogs (for the uninitiated, the Navy Grog is Rock N' Fish's signature drink... its filled with rum, pineapple juice, and other ingredients. Its a distant cousin of the Lapu Lapu [see my Laguna Beach page for more information] and, similar to a Lapu Lapu, has been known to cause bouts of delerium and nude-running on the beach).

Overall, great atmosphere with extremely consistent, tasty food.

Favorite Dish: Appetizer: Grilled artichoke
    Entree: Blackened halibut - always does the trick!
    Wine: Melville or Morgan Pinot Noir

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Rock'n Fish: So so food

by Dabs Written Oct 28, 2007

I stopped by Manhattan Beach for lunch, I had asked my hotel concierege for a recommendation and the best he could do was hand me a preprinted sheet with the local restaurants. So I walked up and down Manhattan Beach Boulevard before settling on Rock'n Fish. I ate on the indoor patio, there were a few other tables filled but plenty of space and not a lot of noise. Service was quick and efficient.

Favorite Dish: I asked the waited if the crab cakes were good and he said they were very good so I ordered a crab cake sandwich. Although it was a little bland, the spicy remoulade made it a lot more tasty but the real issue I had was that a good percentage of the crab cake was filler. It wasn't a really cheap sandwich at $13.95 and the crab cake appetizer I had later that day at the Chart House cost about the same but was almost entirely crab meat.

The sweet potato fries were very good. I mentioned to someone who works in Manhattan Beach that I had a so so meal there and he was surprised, maybe I just ordered the wrong thing.

Crabcake sandwich Rock 'n Fish

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Rock'nFish: Great Crabcakes!

by heryanta Written Jul 28, 2007

Due to its location, steps from the ocean at the Manhattan Beach Pier the Rock 'n Fish is a favourite of mine when taking guests who just got here.

They have a wide selection of seafood; full good looking bar and very good service.
    I will recommend the crab cakes to anyone - as they are simply delightful.

The restaurant is very popular so make sure you make reservations for dinner; and also for lunch during the weekend.

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

Rock N'Fish: Always a great time at Rock N' Fish!

by bruingirl Updated Nov 22, 2006

Rock N Fish is one of my FAVORITE restaurants in Manhattan Beach! The food is always excellent and the ambience is soooo much fun! It is always crowded! The crowd is mostly a young, hip crowd of 30s and 40s something professionals. You don't need to make reservations, but it is highly recommended. Although, it is just as fun to put your name in and wait an hour in the bar area. You will most likely run into someone that you know at this local restaurant. If you want more privacy, you can request the upstairs area, but those tables are hard to come by. Quite frequently, the owner, Michael Zislis will come around to the diners and chat it up! He is very knowledgeable about the wines and always has great recommendations! The staff is always friendly and we always have a blast at this place! Wear whatever you want! People are usually more dressed up on the weekend evenings, but anything goes at this place!

Favorite Dish: Their crabcakes are delicious! You should definitely start off your evening w/ this! Or, the artichoke which is served w/ an aioli sauce that is yummy! Their New Orleans BBQ Shrimp dish is to DIE FOR!!! It is one of my favorite dishes over there!!!! It is soooooo friggin good! It's spicy and sweet at the same time! :) Both the halibut and the mahi mahi dishes are excellent. I've tried quite a few things on their menu and have never had a bad experience! Another thing they are known for is their Navy Grog drink. This is one STIFF drink and after a couple of these, you won't even remember your name!! Yikes! But, boy, is it good!!!! :)

Finishing up our navy grogs....

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

RocknFish: My favorite spot in MB

by jrjohnson Written Nov 10, 2006

This restaurant has be best combination of food and atmosphere in Manhattan Beach and it has a killer, affordable wine list. Mike Zislis, the owner prices his wines by the bottle ridiculously. For example last time i was in there i had a Morgan 12 clones Pinot Noir 2003 for $40. Try to order that bottle online... it will cost you $32. And it is a great bottle. The only complaint about the wine list would be its youth, however at those prices you can't expect anything to stick around for too long.

The food is phenomenal. The menu has a New Orleans influence. From fish to steaks, the food all great with one exception. The swordfish is uncharacteristly bad . I eat a lot of swordfish and at RocknFish it's just too thin of a cut so it losses most of its flavor.

• Wine Tasting

• Mambino's Profile Photo

Rock'nFish: Don't Be a Fool!

by Mambino Written Apr 7, 2006

When you combine the food, the prices for what you get, wine list, service, and the local flavor...you end up with the best restaurant in the South Bay...hands down. To visit Manhattan Beach without enjoying a dinner at this establishment would be a sin.

Favorite Dish: Steaks, Grilled Artichoke, Mac N Cheese, Cajun Corn on the Cob

• RekaD's Profile Photo

Rock'nFish: Manhattan Beach's Best Restaurant

by RekaD Updated Mar 24, 2006

Be sure to make a reservation, because Rock 'n Fish is arguably Manhattan Beach's best and most popular restaurant. Lively, loud and crowded, Rock 'n Fish is ideal for a date, a special occasion meal, or just to grab dinner on any given night.

Their seafood options will never disappoint, but my favorites are the crab cakes, seared ahi, and halibut. But their non-seafood options like filet mignon, chicken teriyaki and seafood jambalaya are crowd pleasers as well.

And to drink ... try a bottle off their massive wine list, or nurse one of their potent Navy Grogs.

Favorite Dish: Rock 'n Fish may be known for their seafood, but they also have one of the the best macaroni and cheese offerings I've ever tasted. Creamy and a bit spicy, mac-n-cheese lovers rave about this dish.

• Rock'nFish: TASTY AND SUNNY

by sabsi Written Jun 20, 2005

Sitting "inside outside" in the indoor front yard of this nice seafood/steak restaurant near Manhattan Beach pier was soooo nice.

Actually we had walked along here for a few times already that day and didn't have time to go in - even though we really wanted to. So I was happy when Stephanie and Giampiero brought me here in the afternoon.

It was great to sit at the window to peoplewatch and work on the suntan ehm sunburn.

Favorite Dish: I just loved the Teriyaki Tenderloin Skewers with Teriyaki sauce and sticky rice. They tasted just wonderful.

Another nice thing we had was the Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan which came with veggies, salsa, and tortilla chips.

All these washed down with a Fresh californian white wine. Lovely!

Geeting a suntan eating...

• HELEN's Profile Photo

Rock N' Fish: Wide variery of Seafood

by HELEN Written Nov 5, 2004

The classy, but relaxed, decor is New Orleans meets Manhattan Beach. It is located right near the peir. It has a great indoor patio with open windows overlooking the beach and the pier. The social center of it all is a gorgeous bar serving anything you can dream up. An extensive menu will not allow you to leave hungry and unsatisfied.

Favorite Dish: The crabcakes and fried calamari are the best appetizers. If you like salads - the Blue Cheese wedge or the Napa Sonoma Salad are to die for. The fish and steak are mouthwatering.

Instant Answers: Manhattan Beach

Comments

View all Manhattan Beach hotels