Please do not fish
Please do not fish in the marina, I personally think the water is polluted anywhere along the marina up to Santa Monica. The more you go away from these waters, the cleaner they get. They seem clean but surfers have been getting skin diseases.
The think-about-it-before-you-do-it Section
1. With the SMPD, LAPD, and the Sheriffs on the constant prowl, make sure you take turns on being the 'designated-drunk' and let the sober one drive.
2. Although it's not as bad as it used to be, here's a little pocket of an area you would want to avoid, especially at night. So pull out your map and draw a bright bold red on the following streets and encircle this area.
A- North of Venice Blvd.
B- East of Pacific/Main Street
C- South of Rose Avenue
D- West of Lincoln Boulevard
Unless you're lost, which you never should have had you pulled out the map with the bold red encirclement to begin with, make a quick U-wee and look for my 'sights to see' section.
The Must-Remember Section
1. When you're too busy watching those pretty ladies, remember they're occasionally holding a 100' leash with a dog the size of a squirrel at the end of it. I don't know if the latest issue of Victoria's Secret have a section of 'what-to-wear-when-taking-your-tiny&funny dog-for-a-walk' clothing line, but it should've really made my 'Must See' activities. Nothing like looking good while holding the leash on one hand, and a Pooper-Scooper on the other.
2. Santa Monica is also probably the capital of homeless people. I can never understand why this is. As most things in LA, anything is possible. There was a story of a homeless lady which many knew as the 'Cart Lady'. She used to be a 'fixture' on Santa Monica's streets, until one day she died and much to everyone's amazement - her surviving daughter received well over 2 million dollars for her inheritance. Now please don't misconstrue that what I'm saying here is you should bag the first homeless person you encounter. There's still only two chances, slim and none, that they are like the 'Cart Lady'. When you do encounter one, well, let me put it this way - if I ever was to become a homeless person, I'd stay in Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey area too!
Live and let live...
3. If your plan takes you out of this area, consider the following logistics. Our freeway system was designed, in spite of it's 6 lanes/direction access, for a population of 25% of what we have today.
1. Anyone in L.A., if they're at least 17 years old, more than likely owns at least one car.
2. They all have places to go.
3. 3 out of 5 cars on the road is an SUV.
4. Walking is a sport.
5. We pretend we have a public transportation system.
Give yourself ample time to get to your destination on good time. Rule of thumb is about 1.5 - 2 minutes per mile.
Not a good idea to drink and...
Not a good idea to drink and drive while on the high seas, so always wait until you're safely back in the harbor before uncorking the champagne.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.