Live Music, Monterey

Know about this? Rate It!

• Golden State Theatre: Los Lonely Boys

by faberglas Written Jun 14, 2008

I love this band, or used to. Eighty-five minutes and the lights came on. It's been a long time since hundreds of my closest friends and I jumped to our feet at the first note of a song. After getting the crowd dancing with "How High Is Heaven" they screwed around and lost us by playing kazoos and then finished a capella. So it was actually about 65 minutes of music. A dollar a minute. I'll head out to a bar and finish my night by telling everybody I meet to skip Los Lonely Boys if they get a chance.

• Golden State Theatre: Los Lonely Boys

by faberglas Written Jun 14, 2008

• Wave Street Studios: Diversity on Cannery Row

by MelissaChavez Written Jul 9, 2008

This place is absolutely beautiful! There are events there all throughout the week. And they Range from Concerts, To dances to book signings. I mean this place is diverse. Even in music, one night its jazz, the next they are having a hip hop artist. Everything is always different! It usually best to stop in and get a calendar of events but even then I've noticed they add a lot of events last minute so its cool to call and find out what is happening

Dress Code: Come as you are!

• Music
    • Theater Travel

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Live Music: East Village Cafe (Washington St) - Old Town

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 6, 2008

It's hard to describe much of anything in Monterey "trendy," but East Village is about as close to trendy as you can find around here. Mostly a coffee shop, they also have sandwiches and other light foods, along with a selection of wine and beer. Even better, they have live music many nights in their back room, and they have a big outdoor patio.

I can only assume East Village is named after Manhattan's East Village, the former hippy then artsy community that is now becoming gentrified. This coffee shop occupies and old stone building a few blocks off Alvarado, next to Alfredo's dive bar. East Village always seems to have a good crowd, especially outside on nice Monterey afternoons.

We stopped in one Friday evening just to (finally) check the place out after seeing it and hearing about it for two years. Inside has a main room next to the coffee bar, plus at least two other smaller rooms. Even within these rooms, there are small corners around the thick stone walls pillars that offer a good deal of privacy and intimacy. It was pretty quiet around 7 pm on this warm Friday evening, I guess we arrived between the coffee rush and the music crowd. They had a slow but steady stream of customers, mostly enjoying coffee.

We were happy to see their nice options of wine and beer. I just had a Boont Amber from northern California (maybe $5), but they also had a few organic beers, German beers, and other California brews. Laura had a glass of pinot for $8 after her first choice of wine was sold out.

East Village is an interesting place, but not really my crowd.

• MichelleVallentyne's Profile Photo

The Golden State Theatre: Exciting Variety at The Golden State Theatre

by MichelleVallentyne Written Nov 5, 2012

Possibly the most beautiful theatre I have ever seen in my life. I am so excited to see The Robert Cray Band this month! And the Growlers in December should be fantastic. They've had to move their smaller acts from The Lobby to the main stage due to sound complaints, which I thought would be kind of a drag, but I saw The Tumbleweed Wanderers there last night, and it was pretty stunning, everyone standing and swaying in a sea of red velvet chairs. I hear that Le Vice had an energetic crowd on Friday. Delicious beer too.

• Music