Places to eat in Monterey

Most Viewed Restaurants in Monterey

Tabouli Cafe (Lighthouse) - New Monterey

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tabouli Cafe, is a tiny Lebanese restaurant and baklava house along Lighthouse Street in New Monterey. Located just two blocks from San Carlos Beach and Cannery Row, it is a great little spot to grab a quick lunch of shwarmas, baba ghanouge, and much more.

I had a simple schwarma pita wrap that came with very good, tender meat and fresh vegetables for about $7. The light lunch also included a piece of sweet baklava for desert.

Tabouli's is run by a man named Christophe Hamadé, who operates the restaurant entirely by himself and speaks numerous languages, making this a popular spot for language students at nearby Defense Language Institute to come practice their new skills. He seems to do it all from waiter to cook to busboy. When I asked him what was good at Tabouli, he proudly said "everything!"

The Monterey Herald named Tabouli Cafe as the #2 sandwich place in the county for vegetarians in 2006.

Tabouli along Lighthouse Tabouli - between Cutting Center & Kinkade Gallery

Lighthouse Bar & Girl *** CLOSED as of Sept 07***

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Lighthouse Bar and Grill is a mid-sized bar near Cannery Row. I went there one evening because I saw they had Monday Night Football advertised outside. As soon as I stepped in the door, I knew something was unusual...the bartender gave me a funny look, everybody stopped and stared, and I think I even heard a record skip. You know, the rainbow flag should've given it away, but I barely noticed it until I was inside and saw the Heineken rainbow sign.

Yes, it turns out this is a gay bar...not just any gay bar, but a predominately lesbian bar. I wasn't the only guy there, but I'd guess there might have been just one other straight guy (I chose not to ask him). Once inside, what do you do? I sat down at the bar and ordered a beer and a burger, and tried not to make eye contact. The bartender was friendly and took good care of me...I wonder what she was thinking? The burger was good, the fries terrible, and the beer cold and cheap at about $2.50 for a Corona. I did get to see some football and two lesbians making out, so it was a good first California gay bar experience for me. But I won't be going back. Oops, I went back. Cool friends of mine. Still sucks.

The Lighthouse Bar and Grill is on the corner of Lighthouse and Dickman.

After closing down for good...what a mess debris after they shut down the last time

Gilbert's on the Wharf - Fishermans Wharf

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went to Fishermans Wharf looking for bread-bowl chowder to go to eat with our swordfish steaks we picked up at Royal Seafoods on Commercial Wharf. Just walking up the wharf, we tried the chowder at Gilbert's and saw they also offered it to go next to their restaurant at Gilbert's Bistro. The bread bowl chowder is $9 at the restaurant, but only $7 if you get it to go. It was great, and the servings were so big, we didn't have room for our swordfish!

The guy at the counter there was also friendly and talkative making for a nice experience.

Dad buying chowder

Goomba's Italian - CLOSED AS OF FEB 2007

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A nice, clean Italian restaurant in downtown Monterey with a simple, but tasty Italian menu. Though we were tempted to try their buffet lunch for just $8.99, we opted to split a large combination pizza with sausage, peppers, mushrooms, olives and pepperoni for $14. The pizza was not the biggest I have ever seen, but it was tasty and plenty for two big eaters like my dad and I. Goomba's has a full bar and a friendly but inexperienced staff.

Goomba's, along with 20 other businesses, was destroyed in a fire on 7 February 2007. No telling if, when or where they'll reopen. Quizno's and Starbuck's were also destroyed. In April/May 2007 the building along Alvarado is being demolished.

Goomba -- not the guy, the building

Britannia Arms British Pub (Alvarado St) - Old Mry

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Britannia Arms, or just "The Brit" if you prefer, is one of Monterey's half dozen or so British pubs. I stopped in one day at lunch time after hearing sports on the "tele", only to find out it was a live "footy match" between Manchester United and Celtic, where ever that is (I think I heard they are from Scotland). About two thirds of the crowd were soccer fans, most disappointed at the 3-2 Celtic loss. The rest of us were bewildered, trying to figure out when you should cheer during a soccer match...it grew old so we soon turned our attention to SportsCenter's discussion of the NFL games still 5 days away!

This is a nice, open bar on Alvarado in the heart of Monterey. They have a wide variety of beers on tap, most British (surprise, surprise!). The menu includes the least expensive sandwiches I have found in Monterey other than McDonald's dollar menu. I had a big 1/2 pound burger for about $6, but my imported Hoegaarden beers were $5 each to drive up the price of my bill. Even cheapo beers like Bud Light were $4 for a 16-ounce pint. They also have one or two special beers for $3 each and some happy hour beers are just $2.

Most important, The Brit has a large projection screen TV perfect for watching sports. This is not just a soccer pub, they also show all types of real sports. They also have live bands (Fri and Sat), karaoke (Wed and Sun), quiz nite (Thurs) and other special events.

What sets the Brit apart form the neighboring British pubs seems to be the lower prices and the superior sports viewing opportunities.

The Monterey County Weekly "Best Of 2006 Readers' Picks" named the Britannia Arms as the best Karaoke Bar in Monterey County!

Favorite Dish: I have been to the Brit many times over the past year--at least 2 or 3 times a month--but my most recent visit might be my last. It started off a a rather typical evening, sports on the big screen, everyone having a good time as usual. When the football game on the big screen was almost over, many of the customers asked if the TV could be changed to a close baseball game that was just about to end. Since there were a few guys still watching the boring, lopsided football game, the bartender rightfully decided not to change the channel. So as soon as the football game ended, we again asked if he could change to the baseball game so we could watch the last 2 outs. Again, the bartender refused this time just being stubborn, and many of the paying customers who had been sitting there all evening, spending a ton of money were a little upset as you can imagine. Some of the customers decided they would not tip because of this, and one guy said, "way to take care of your waitress bartender!" The bartender's response? He gave the middle finger to the customer! Then for the next 10 minutes he kept griping about the customers and even yelling a few things back at them. It was completely rude and unprofessional behavior. This bar does not deserve my business. I'll go where I am welcome from now on.

The Brit
    • Beer Tasting

Nell's A Touch of New Orleans - Fremont Street

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nell's is a Cajun restaurant about 2,000 miles from New Orleans. From the front, the right side of the building is a small dining area while the left side is the bar and small stage. Parking is to the back of the building. Inside the place has a French Quarter flair with colorful walls and tables, along with beads above the bar.

Certainly a unique style of food for the area, the menu features Nell's Famous Gumbo along with other Cajun dishes including po' boys, red beans and rice, black-eyed peas and rice, hush puppies, fried catfish & chicken, and many other New Orleans' favorites. I had the gumbo entree ($13) which comes with any two sides... I chose the red beans and rice along with black-eyed peas and rice; all meals come with corn bread. The gumbo was very tasty, especially the spicy andouille sausage; the chicken pieces were kind of bland. The read beans were also excellent, but I wasn't a huge fan of the black-eyed peas. The meal was huge...the giant bowl of gumbo in itself enough for a meal, and the large sides must've weighed a pound.

The service was something else. When I sat down at the bar, I noticed a huge bucket of Durex condoms in front me... as I was planning to eat dinner, I pushed the bucket o' safety to the back of the bar. When the bartender saw this she grew huffy, slammed the bucket down behind the bar, and said "they're for the customers!" I never expected they were all for her, especially at her age... As I ordered dinner, she was annoyed at my small questions like whether corn bread came with the meal, so finally I moved to a table away from the bar. She was still my server, but after that she settled down a little and provided pretty good service. Though against my better judgment I still gave her a 15% tip for the nice recovery.

The kitchen is open until 11pm.

The Mucky Duck British Pub (Alvarado St) - Old Mry

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Mucky Duck is a quiet English-style pub with stone tile floors, dark wood bar and booths, and an interesting white-painted brick on the walls. Outside is a popular patio area, often featuring live music or DJs and is a favorite place among the younger crowd later in the night. I stopped here for dinner one evening and was a little surprised at how expensive the food is....just under $10 for most sandwiches and entrees approaching $20-$25...certainly not over the top, but more expensive than neighboring pubs like The Brit.

When the food came, I realized why the prices were a little higher--the portions are gigantic! I decided to go kind of light and ordered the Black Forest ham melt, and the sandwich was probably 6 inches in diameter and 3 inches tall with a pile of curly fries even larger. It was very tasty, but to be picky, there really was too much meat on the sandwich--almost an inch of ham--that overwhelmed the other flavors. I probably should've taken about half of the ham off, and I would've like it better.

On another visit we sat outside listening to the live (and free) local band and we had burgers. They were pretty good, but very expensive at $11 each! I almost forgot how great the crispy fries are here, and they were the highlight of my meal! The best part of the pub burger was the tasty smoked bacon and thick layer of cheese on top!

They have about 25 or 30 beers on tap from local favorites to Irish specialties like Guinness. Happy Hour includes $2 pints, $2 well drinks, and 1/2 price appetizers.

What seems to distinguish the Mucky Duck form the neighboring British pubs is the better food and younger crowd.

The Monterey County Weekly "Best Of 2006 Readers' Picks" named the Mucky Duck as the best Happy Hour, best Singles Bar, and best Beers on Tap in Monterey County!

• squidly2's Profile Photo

El Torito: Easy Parking, great views

by squidly2 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I almost never recommend a chain restaurant. But El Toritos is so convenient that I have to mention it. It is right on Cannery Row, and has a huge parking lot, free if you're eating there. I can't think of anywhere else in town you can go that has both a view and easy parking.

There's only indoor seating, but almost every table has a beautiful view of the bay.

They also have great specials (in the Cantina section only). Wednesdays is 99 cent fish tacos! Mmmm. The website lists specials on other nights.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Gilberts Monterey: Gilbert's on Fisherman's Wharf

by atufft Updated Apr 4, 2011

The seafood entre's in this restaurant are reasonably priced and tailored to the tastes of the average American palate. Don't expect any surprises, which may be a good thing for many people. Fried calamari, Boston cream chowder, and scallops are typical entres that will not offend anyone, but probably won't impress those who prefer slightly underdone broiled fish fillets. The wine list isn't spectacular but it does offer good quality local winery products. The tables have a nice view east of the harbor, so if they are open for breakfast, this might be one of the better places to go. This is a very controlled corporate type restaurant, so it's a safe bet for a late night dinner as we had. It wasn't a wild atmosphere, but it was easy to get into and the service was professional. Check the website, but I doubt that reservations are required except during the busiest part of the season.

Favorite Dish: I had the scallops, which were large and pleasantly fresh, not frozen. And, I'm a fan of Morgan Sauvignon Blanc, so I went for a glass of that. I don't go for the fried calamari, but my niece loved them. My wife had a cup of clam chowder. We were able to get a window seat and enjoy a full moon over the private boats moored in the harbor. For less about $60-, including taxes and tip, we were able to get a good late meal.

Fisherman's Wharf looking east

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Hog's Breath Inn: Enjoy eating at Clint Eastwood's Restaurant

by 807Wheaton Updated Apr 4, 2011

We ate lunch at Clint Eastwood's restaurant Hog's Breath Inn while we were in Monterey.
    We enjoyed the ambiance of a patio setting with a scenic mural while still being inside the restaurant.
    Quite unique.

Favorite Dish: Hog's Breath Inn offers a large selection of sandwiches from Dirty Harry Bacon Cheese Burger to Fish Tacos. The service was very good and the food was great. More than we could eat!

Patio at Hog's Breath Inn

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Gilbert's Seafood Grill: One of the many on the Wharf

by rsilva Updated Apr 4, 2011

It is quite obvious that you will not get the best value for money or quality of food, for that matter, when you eat in the tourist area.
    We knew that, but decided to try this place anyway as the view was quite nice and we knew what we were in for.

This restaurant looked quite nice with the window tables overlooking the bay.

I had fish and it was good, can't remember which kind though, so obviously it was nothing special.
    My girflriend had the lobster tail and was quite happy as well.

I wasn't too impressed with the service. The waiter was not very friendly, but quite efficient.

It was also quite expensive.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

Abalonetti Seafood Trattoria: Fresh Fish & Location,

by ranger49 Written Jun 10, 2010

We prefer to have our main meal of the day in the evening, with a light snack at lunch time.
    Wary of the mega huge helpings we have sometimes received in lieu of a "light snack" when travelling in America , and were undecided as we walked along Fisherman's Wharf.

A charming young lady offered us a sample of the clam chowder as we passed by the Abalonnetti Seafood restaurant.
    She assured us that we could order as much or as little as we wanted from the full menu. The sample was so good we decided to eat there. We chose the chowder with crusty bread rather than have it served in a "bowl" of dough bread . One of our party chose a caesar salad.
    We all left feeling very satisfied.
    So good to find in the middle of a "strip" a place as good as this!

• kellinwood's Profile Photo

Ghirardelli: Did You Say Chocolate?

by kellinwood Updated Nov 28, 2009

This is a smaller version of the famous shop at Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco. They sell chocolate and serve a variety of ice cream, hot fudge sundaes, ice cream floats, and hot chocolate. We spend three nights in the Monterey area and stopped here for dessert two of those nights. The shop has the look and feel of an old-time ice cream parlor. It is decorated with vintage/antique posters of classic Ghirardelli chocolate products. In such an environment its hard not to enjoy the sweet, creamy, chocolatey flavors of a well made sundae.

Favorite Dish: The peanut butter and chocolate sundae. I love the flavor of peanut butter and chocolate, and this hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli's is great.

• kellinwood's Profile Photo

Rocky Point Restaurant: Excellent Views and Good Food

by kellinwood Updated Nov 28, 2009

We stopped in for lunch on our way to Big Sur one day. The place is comfortable and the food and service is good. The restaurant is between Carmel and Big Sur (about 10 miles south of Carmel). It sits just above the rocky shoreline and features spectacular views of the coastline. With that said, its best to visit during the daytime for breakfast, lunch, or an early in order to take in the views. The picturesque Rocky Creek bridge is visible in the distance to the south of the restaurant. The seating is close enought to the water that its possible to see otters, although we didn't see any ourselves the day we visited.

This is a great place for a romantic meal or any other special occasion!

They have three menus -- breakfast (9am - 11:30), lunch (11:30 - 3pm) and dinner (5pm to closing). The food is good, but like most of the other eating establishments in the area its on the expensive side. Plan on spending about $30 per person for breakfast and lunch, and about $40 - $60 for dinner.

You can reserve a window seat by calling for a reservation at (831) 624-2933.

View from the restaurant window. Nearby Rocky Creek bridge.

• crazypaws's Profile Photo

Crown and Anchor: Delicious food!

by crazypaws Written Jul 22, 2009

The Crown and Anchor is a British Pub. The decor is about ships and sail boats, and everything on the menu is named after a famous ship, with explanations on the history of the ships.
    I had the chicken pie with mash potatoes and steamed vegetables, it was delicious! Their margaritas are very good too ;)

Monterey Hotels

Hyatt Regency Monterey
Munras Lodge
Latest: Jul 2, 2014
Monterey Plaza Hotel
Cypress Tree Inn (Americas Best Value Inn & Suites)
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Mariposa Inn
Latest: Jul 4, 2014
Clarion Hotel Monterey

Instant Answers: Monterey

Comments

Monterey Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Monterey locals.
Map of Monterey