The Fish Hopper Restaurant, Monterey

shrimp risotto
    clam chowder
    bar
  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

The Fish Hopper Restaurant: The Fish Hopper (Cannery Row)

by Ewingjr98 Updated Mar 13, 2009

Fish Hopper at night from Bubba Gumps

Of all of Monterey's great restaurants, the Fish Hopper has undoubtedly the best bay views in town. Top that with ownership by the locally famous Shake family, and you have a good spot. Sure it's touristy, but this is one of the few touristy places along Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row that can rise above that negative aspect.

The Fish Hopper's location in the heart of touristy Cannery Row kept me away for a while, but when I discovered it was owned by the local Shake family, which has owned restaurants in Monterey since the 1950s, I decided it couldn't be as bad as Bubba Gump's. I have only been in the Fish Hopper once for drinks during happy hour and was impressed by the classy interior, nice bar, and especially the amazing views in three directions over the water. Drinks are normally $8 for their specialty mixed cocktails like daquiris and pomegranate mojitos while draft beers such as the Kona Longboard lager and the English Ales Wheat are $5 each. Luckily during happy hour these drinks are all $2 off, making for some of Monterey's best happy hour prices!

We returned one bright sunny day during the Salinas Airshow and had a nice lunch. We got seats on the outside deck overlooking the beaches of Cannery Row. During our meal, we watched the Thunderbirds practicing at Monterey Airport just over a mile away. Our lunch was also very good, but the jets circling overhead made the meal! We started with a draft Great White beer from Eureka ($5) and a fresh mohito ($8). I had the fresh mahi sandwich, which was grilled rather than fried, and very tasty, but very expensive for $16. Laura had the California seafood salad with sliced of seared tuna and big shrimp, which was also priced a little high at $19.

The service this day was pretty good, though a little slow.

All in all the Fish Hopper is a nice place with stunning views.

Happy hours is Mon - Friday, 4:00 - 6:30 pm, and you can get $2.00 off any drink except bottled beer.

• shaun929's Profile Photo

The Fish Hopper Restaurant: The Fish Hopper Restaurant

by shaun929 Written Aug 26, 2002

The Fish Hopper has a terrific selection of fresh seafood, great ocean views and patio seating. There is also a children's menu. The restaurant is located in Cannery Row.

Favorite Dish: The Captain's Plate: Fresh fillet of salmon crusted with toasted pistachios, grilled and topped with fruit salsa. Served with chef's rice and seasonal vegetables

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Fish hoper Restaurant: Most Crowded Restaurant in Cannery Row 1

by machomikemd Written May 5, 2012
    outside

this will be a two part tip with more pictures around the fish hopper restaurant

this fish hopper restaurant is the busiest restaurant in Cannery Row and offer the most spectacular views of the Monterey Bay inside the restaurant. you can dine inside or al fresco outside. They also have a branch in Kona in the Big Island of Hawaii. They are known for their Monteret Style Clam Chowders which won the best clam chowder in the west coast (I still prefer the boston clam chowders since they are more creamy and hearty). They have a wide selection of seafoods both locally sourced and from other areas of the United States and the world like dungeness crabs, lobsters, steamers, oysters, yellowfin tunas and assorted meat dishes like steaks.

Hours:

Mon-Thu, Sun 10:30 am - 9 pm

Fri-Sat 10:30 am - 10 pm

according to their website:

Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row,within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and fine shops.The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular panoramic views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood,certified Angus steaks,pastas and live shellfish.Some of our menu favorites are the fresh abalone from the Monterey Bay, the “Island Sampler”(fresh seared Ahi tuna from Kona served with coconut shrimp and a crab cake), Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab available year round.2011 West Coast 1st place winner for our famous clam chowder soup.In addition to our fabulous menu indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations. While enjoying a delicious meal watch frolicking sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.

Favorite Dish: there is a dizzying array of sea foods and meat dishes and even pasta dishes to choose from. try their famed Monterey Clam Chowder at $ 4.95 a cup. Pasta dishes begin at $ 21 and up and the seafood dishes at $ 15 and up. They also have a price fix lunch menu at $ 19.95 with an entree (choose from 4 per day) with a cup of clam chowder and breads. Steaks are from $ 25 and up.

• Wine Tasting

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Fish hoper Restaurant: Most Crowded Restaurant in Cannery Row 2

by machomikemd Written May 5, 2012
    clam chowder

Part Two of my tips around the fish hopper restaurant

Hours:

Mon-Thu, Sun 10:30 am - 9 pm

Fri-Sat 10:30 am - 10 pm

according to their website:

• Wine Tasting

• Fish Hopper: terrible food

by jcohea60 Written Jan 30, 2011

We went to the Fish Hopper for dinner and my husband had the crab stuffed lobster it arrived at the table burned on the claw, We had another couple with us and she also had eaten some of my husbands meal and before the end of the evening my husband the the wife of the other couple both were sick and I mean very sick so sick they both spent the night in the bathroom of our hotel rooms I notified the Fish Hopper of this incident to let them know that the dish was substandard both in presentation and in the overall quality of this dish the first time I spoke with a Laura and she assured me she would be speaking with the owner of the restaurant when I had not heard back in about 2 weeks I called again and I was told that Laura no longer was employed there but a Joanne would be helping me, she called me back to say she had forwarded my complaint to the owner because sometimes he comes in and stays in his office she does not always see him she asked what I wanted from them I told her that I felt that they should make good on the dinner since it was not good not the whole ticket just the one meal that was bad she said she agreed and would get back to me that is where this stands just so you people who read this think that I am trying to get money back this is not the first time we have eaten at this restaurant and our first bill was over $500 dollars and we did not complain so the issue is that the meal was bad and only the (2) people who ate it got sick and in this economy customer service and follow thru is really the only thing we have to offer and I feel that is lacking and we will not be returning to this restaurant EVER AGAIN

• Fishing

• kellinwood's Profile Photo

The Fish Hopper: Best Seafood Ever

by kellinwood Updated Nov 28, 2009
    View from the tables

"The Best Seafood Ever" according to my wife, anyway. I'm not a big seafood fan -- I had the Fish and Chips and it was good, but she says the Sesame Crusted Mahi Mahi was out of this world. One of the dishes was a variety plate which came with Ahi and shrimp. Between my wife and her friend they loved it all.

The restaurant is on the pier in canary row just down the street from the aquarium. The location and atmosphere are great. Two sides of the restaurant are open to the ocean. The view includes the bay, shoreline and nearby beach. We saw otters lounging in the kelp outside while we ate. Skip the name-brand shrimp place next door and come here instead.

Favorite Dish: The free samples of clam chowder that they give away at the door, and any seafood on the menu.

• Aquarium

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Fish Hopper: Seafood Restaurant

by WulfstanTraveller Written Aug 17, 2013

This is a glitzy, fun, and fairly good seafood restaurant in Cannery Row, if a bit touristy. It's not a really great place but it is definitely one of the better places to eat in Cannery Row area, both for ambience, which is nice, and the food quality and has great views on the water.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Fish hopper: Seafood on Cannery Row

by Jim_Eliason Written Mar 3, 2010

Fish hopper

This Cannery Row institution has a great Seafood chowder. its a little pricey but the view is magnifcant.

Instant Answers: Monterey

Comments

Hotels Near The Fish Hopper Restaurant
0 miles away