Flora / Fauna, Monterey

by Monique_T
  • sim1's Profile Photo

Chipmunks

by sim1 Updated Mar 8, 2005

When you stop anywhere along this part of the coast, you can't miss the chipmunks. They are very eager to come to you, to beg for some food. Hahaha,I like these little creatures, all swirling around me looking if I had some food. I just needed to stick out my hand and pretend I had something for them, and they would come close. Funny to watch, but a shame that they react like this. They clearly get fed a lot by the tourists, and that has influenced their natural behaviour.

• sim1's Profile Photo

The Lone Cyprus

by sim1 Updated Mar 8, 2005

The Lone Cyprus

A well-known spot on this drive is The Lone Cypress. This tree is very characteristic and stands on a bare rock formation in the sea. Is it a must see? No, not at all! I think it is just a tourist attraction. It wasn't busy at the viewpoint when I was there, so it wasn't too bad. It was actually quite amazing to see the tree in such a strange place on the rocks. But I think it can be very busy here, and I wouldn't want to make a stop here at such a time. It must be very annoying to watch a tree from a long distance with all the tourist around you, all trying to get the best view.

• sjvessey's Profile Photo

See the Lone Cypress on the...

by sjvessey Written Aug 25, 2002

See the Lone Cypress on the 17-mile drive.

The symbol of Monterey, this is probably one of the most highly photographed trees anywhere. It's kind of pretty, although what you see in this photo is basically it.

Instant Answers: Monterey