Maritime Museum, Monterey

The museum's downstairs
    Fresnel Lense
  • Art History and Innovation

by johnenns Written Nov 19, 2011

I noticed a show Trancendental Visions are the website. It turned out to be a Day of the Dead show. Then I realized that the show was a virtual show. Pretty cool! I thought this kind of stuff only happened in LA!

• Art History and Innovation

• Monterey History, Art and Innovation

by johnenns Written Nov 19, 2011

I noticed the exhibition titled "Transcendental Visions" on the webpage but when I went to your museum I could only find a Day of the Dead show, in addition to the Flows to Bay show which I had already seen. Then I realized that Trancendental Visions is a virtual show residing exclusively on the internet or, as Apple people like to say, in the CLOUD. What a concept!! Art, History and Innovation in the same format. Now I get it--innovation is in you mission statement for a reason. I thought this kind of new thinking only happened in LA. Congratulations for bringing this new concept to Monterey.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Monterey Maritime Museum

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Monterey Maritime Museum's Fresnel Lense

Monterey's Maritime Museum has a beautiful waterfront location at Custom House Plaza just across from touristy Fishermans Wharf. Since about October 2007 the museum has offered free visitation of its extensive collection of local seafaring artifacts. Maintained by the Monterey History and Art Association, this collection once belonged to Allen Knight, who was Carmel's mayor from 1950 to 1952.

The highlight of the collection is the enormous 580 glass prisms of the Fresnel lens from the lighthouse at Point Sur Light Station. The museum has seven distinct exhibit areas and it holds some 6,000 artifacts, 50,000 photos, and 6,000 books and paper coving various eras of local history. Exhibits cover various periods and events from Rumsien/Ohlone Indians and Spanish explorers, to the USS Macon and war in the Pacific, to Monterey’s era as the sardine capital of the world.

The museum is open daily except Wednesdays, 10am-5pm

Instant Answers: Monterey

Comments

Hotels Near Maritime Museum
0.1 miles away