Morro Bay Warnings and Dangers

The breakwater edge
    by Yaqui
    The waves were really crashing that day!
    I admire sufers!

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Morro Bay

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Rip Tides and Dangerous Breakwaters

by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

The waves were really crashing that day!

We wondered down toward the bay where the Morro Rock was. As we strolled around the beach area and wondered closer to the breakwaters that the Army built across the north end of the harbor. A very large sign with a warning to those who feel frisky enough try to walk across the breakwaters or boat or swim beyond the safe points. Many surfers and tourist find themselves swept out by the rip tides. I know for myself the sign was enough for us not to venture out along that edge. Yet, we seen many surfers heading out on their boards even with the warnings posted, but I guess that is the lure of danger that surfers endure.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Joking Aside!

by johngayton Updated Aug 8, 2006

Looked Good To Me!

When I first saw this sign my immediate thought was "Way! Hey! Here I come!" but on arrival found out it was just the local Coastguard Station :(

On a more serious note however, the entrance to Morro Bay harbour is reckoned to be one of the top 6 most dangerous on the West Coast and has regular Coastguard advisories during rough weather (as many as 50 a year). The channels here are quite narrow and at low tides especially are prone to causing fouling of boats propellors due to the abundance of kelp and ell grass.

If visiting by boat the following number and site are those of the Morro Bay Yacht Club and the site has up-to-date weather and navigation info.

• Beer Tasting
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Morro Bay

Comments

Morro Bay Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Morro Bay warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Morro Bay sightseeing.