Napa Tourist Traps

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Geyser

by sunshinejo Written Jun 28, 2006

Old Faithful Geyser, Calistoga

This is one of Calistoga's main tourist attractions, and the reason I put it under "tourist traps" was that I thought it to be a bit of a con. Entrance was $8, and in return you get to watch hot water spurt out of the ground into the air like a fountain - wow!!! The frequency, height and duration of these bursts vary according to the time of year. When we were there they were about every 10-15 minutes, going about 20ft high and lasting between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. Although the water can go higher than this - up to 60ft - the wait between bursts can be as long as 60 minutes. I feel sorry for the tourist who doesn't have his camera ready on time and has to wait a whole hour for the next photo opp!

I don't know, maybe I'm being a tad too cynical - Mum and Dad certainly enjoyed it. I guess it's just not my cup of tea. I think the main thing I didn't like was the entrance fee - $8 seems rather excessive for what it is.

Old Faithful Geyser is located about 2 miles north of Calistoga on Tubbs Lane.

• Eco-Tourism

• seth0919's Profile Photo

The Niebaum-Coppolla vineyard....

by seth0919 Written Aug 26, 2002

The Niebaum-Coppolla vineyard. Owned (or partially owned) by the famous Francis Ford Coppolla. Upon walking into the main room of the vineyard, you are hit with various movie memoriabilia, awards and other tributes to Coppolla. While some of that is quite interesting (if you're into that sorta thing) the props have absolutely nothing to do with the wine or the vineyard. After paying $7.50 for a tasting (but you get to keep your glass!!! yipee) I was quite unimpressed with the wine.

• kellensdad's Profile Photo

OH PLEASE! This place is one...

by kellensdad Updated Aug 25, 2002

OH PLEASE! This place is one big tourist trap in a good way. You can taste the wine before you buy which is a plus.

I was lucky that I got to taste the actual juice during the crush.

Instant Answers: Napa

Comments

Napa Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Napa tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Napa sightseeing.