National City Off The Beaten Path

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Paradise Creek Park

by lmkluque Updated Jul 26, 2013

Intersecting Bridges over no water

I came out to see this park because I had never heard of it before. I had never even known that there was a Paradise Creek. I do know of Paradise Road in National City, but this creek is new to me,. So, I came out to see it for myself.

Well, there are bridges but no water. Maybe this is a place I'll have to come during the winter after a few good rain storms to see if the creek comes alive.

It is another "natural" park and the weeds are so over grown that the sign is hard to read. There is an information board that is faded and marred by graffiti and too hard to read.

However, if you like to see the less beautiful part of "nature" this is the place to go. It's a shame really, Paradise Creek Park is fantastically neglected and could be so much better.

I just found out that they have a whole list of activities going on all the time. I just happened to visit on the wrong day. I'll check it out and get back if I have more and hopefully better information.

There is a non-profit organization working to protect the marshland in National City. I guess in time, if they are successful this will become something on the lines of the Tijuana Estuary in Imperial Beach or the Living Coast Discovery Center in Chula Vista.

Coolidge Avenue and W. 19th Street

• Cycling
    • Eco-Tourism

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Butterfly Park

by lmkluque Written Jul 26, 2013

I came across this small and unusual park while trying to find Las Palmas Park. It is located on E. 22nd Street, which is the last street before a canyon. The park is hardly noticeable mainly because it is a "natural" park. Nothing much in the way of landscaping, obviously not even a bit of water that doesn't come from rain. I'll try to remember to come in the spring to see if the plants are green or if there are butterflies.

There are butterflies in the d├ęcor motif and there is a small walk way into the bushes which I didn't explore. The main thing I could say is that it looked barren and peaceful. Oh, yes, it also had a nice view of the golf course below and Las Palmas Park beyond.

Palm Avenue and E. 22nd Streetb

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: National City

Comments

National City Off The Beaten Path

lmkluque's Profile Photo

Actually, all of National City would be "Off the Beaten Path" for most tourists because it is not yet a tourist haven.  However, considering the Peir 32 Marina as a tourist draw, than I'd...

View all National City hotels