Nightclubs and bars in California

Inside the Culver Club
    by poetjo

Most Viewed Nightlife in California

• deecat's Profile Photo

The Fabulous Follies: Like Wine, the Older, the Better!

by deecat Updated May 18, 2005

When we first arrived in Palm Springs, everyone asked us if we had seen THE FABULOUS FOLLIES; of course, we had not. We did not even know what they were. So, we investigated and purchased tickets.

The "follies" have been around for the last thirteen years, and it reminded me of an old-fashioned variety show. (During November and December, they put on their HOLIDAY SHOW. )
    The regular show usually has hilarious comedy acts, a famous singing group or a solo singer, and, of course, the Legendary Line of Long-Legged Lovelies. Who are they? They are glamorous, beautiful women between the ages of 54-84 years young who are dressed in Vegas Show Girl attire who dance and sing and delight the audience. No doubt, they are the audience favorites. We were amazed at their beauty, agility, and talent.

When we were there, theInk Spots performed. The over-all theme was quite patriotic, the costumes were elaborate, and the ambience was dramatic. We stood and cheered with the rest of the audience.

We were so glad that everyone had asked us if we knew about The Fabulous Follies; now, we tell everyone else about them!

DON'T MISS THIS ONE!

Dress Code: I would say that you should dress up somewhat. No jeans, shorts, halter tops, T-shirts, tennis shoes, or hats.
    I wore a nice dress with low-heeled shoes, and Allan wore dress slacks and a nice shirt.

Note: Photo is from an advertisement we received when we attended the Follies.

• Music
    • Theater Travel
    • Seniors

• deecat's Profile Photo

Visit Cedar Creek Inn Restaurant & Bar: For Great Live Music....

by deecat Updated May 18, 2005

The place to go at night in Palm Springs is the relatively new Cedar Creek Inn, which is really a great restaurant and bar. They have a lounge called Derby Lounge where Mikael Healey and Anna Rose entertain with solo performances as well as duets. They are quite the team...beautiful voices, great stories to tell, and lots of good-natured banter. They encourage audience participation, which is always fun.

he drinks are really great with a huge selection. In addition, I would suggest ordering dessert here. We did, and we are still raving about them. A man who was at a table next to us, during a period of about two hours, ate three desserts.

So, for a fun, relaxing, and, above all, entertaining evening, visit Cedar Creek Inn in Palm Springs.

Dress Code: Casual clothing is acceptable but not cut offs or tank tops or baseball caps.

Since I did not have my camera with me when we went to Cedar Creek Inn, I'm using the photograph we took before we left to go there. You can see from the picture, that we were in high-end casual clothes.

• Music

• awayhome's Profile Photo

Sunset Party: Venice Beach

by awayhome Updated May 24, 2004

Love the sunset party... crazy dancing on the beach. You'll have fun here-))! Just before sunset follow the sound of beating drums onto the sand and you'll find an eclectic bunch of people dancing to the beat of dozens of drummers. This seems to happen on the weekends.....and if you don't feel like joining the circle of dancers then you can always bring your own drum and get in on the music making

Dress Code: Wear what you were wearing...there is no dress code. Some people look like they are right out of the 60's while others are in their casual beach attire

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

The Toronado: a beery shrine for all good pilgrims

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 15, 2009

The Toronado is one of the US’s great beer bars, noted around the globe to beer connoisseurs. They specialize in Northern California brews but have a healthy dose of both Belgian and German beers on tap as well. Of most interest to me were the three beer engines dispensing cask conditioned ales, all brewed in the Bay area. Doreen had the Black Prince Porter from Marina, California’s English Ales Brewery. It was a medium bodied porter with tan head and roasty chocolate malt palate. My Harvest Ale from Drakes Brewery was amber with a citrus hop aroma and floral hoppy palate. We also enjoyed the ESB, Damnation, and Denogenizer from Russian River Brewing in the Sonoma Valley. The place itself is a dark wooden affair with fairly loud music and is pretty crowded in the evenings. It’s not for the faint of heart. It’s much more enjoyable in the afternoon when it’s easier to get a seat, the music is not nearly as loud. There's an all day happy hour with most beers at $2.50 a pint. That saves you a couple bucks too.

Though I had no intentions of stopping here on our 2008 SF visit, it was right next to the Indian place we had dinner at and even though we had spent considerable time at The Magnolia Brewery just up the road, my wife nicely relented and we went in for one. It was crazy crowded so indeed it was just one.

Dress Code: Black seems to be the color of choice. Don't even think about pastels.

• Beer Tasting

• Avryle's Profile Photo

What to do at night is unique...

by Avryle Written Sep 12, 2002

What to do at night is unique to the area and/or town you're visiting. There is definitely a different vibe in San Diego vs. Orange County vs. Los Angeles vs. Santa Barbara vs. San Fran. You get the point. I've found that the best way to find out what the hot spots are is to just go up to a stranger who looks like they know what's going on and ask. Who knows, you may just find a personal tour guide!

Dress Code: Can range from whatever you're wearing at the time to theme to jacket and tie. It all depends on what you're looking for and what you're in to.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Getting some zzzzzzzzzzzz's in!

by bugalugs Written Nov 2, 2002

This is strictly speaking not a night life tip, after spending two weeks driving from one place to another, seeing as much as we could of this huge state, and in actual fact only seeing a fraction of it, the only night life we encountered was in our dreams! :-)
    We dont really look like Grandpa Simpson - honest!!!!!!!!

• ben&jerry's Profile Photo

The Standard, LOS ANGELES- hollywood: A night on Sunset Bvld

by ben&jerry Written Aug 19, 2004

In my country, people do not know how to enjoy themselves (sorry for my french counterparts but that's true).
    In this club I felt like I was in the movies that fed us when we were teenagers: very good looking girls and boys, good music...

Dress Code: You mustn't be overdressed and a nicely cut jeans with a sexy top will be fine

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Nightlife?? What nightlife?? ...

by Krystynn Written Sep 12, 2002

Nightlife?? What nightlife??

The Yosemite Lodges/ Yosemite National Park have got no TV sets, no radios, no.... er, I'm sure you got the picture eh? So what did I do? I spent my time (after dinner) taking long strolls and attending nature talks.

• TheBigMan's Profile Photo

The Kings Head: The Kings Head

by TheBigMan Written Aug 26, 2002

A true taste of Yorkshire in the heart of Silicon Valley. Most theme pubs normally suck, although they try and be authentic most fail. The Kings Head hits the mark. Different nights have different themes, like Thursday night is Celtic night where people come along and jam with the local Scottish and Irish musicians. The food is some of the best, try the mixed grill or the steak and kidney pie. Beers come from the United Kingdom and the rest of the world.

Dress Code: Casual

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

We stopped at a lot of...

by WILDEFLOWER Written Sep 7, 2002

We stopped at a lot of vinyards along the way. Mostly in the day time.
    Each of the vineyards have a different story, where they came from, what they started with, how they started. I don't think some people appreciate in our beautiful country what we have. When I listen to these stories of people coming to America to build there dream, it makes me appreciate even more of what we have and have to offer many countries. I guess thats why we are always fighting somewhere for other peoples freedom. It's in our blood!

Dress Code: Casual

• In San Francisco, I prefer the...

by Robin815 Written Aug 24, 2002

In San Francisco, I prefer the Castro district. Very eclectic, lots of fun shops, restaurants, coffee houses, people everywhere, safe to walk. It is the Gay section of SF. Girls if you like to dance and hangout go to the Cafe corner of Market and Castro.

Dress Code: casual, bring a jacket and long sleeves, it is usually always cool there, it is on the bay afterall.
    Very cool at night, wear a jacket.

• jennykp's Profile Photo

Well, there wasn't much...

by jennykp Written Aug 24, 2002

Well, there wasn't much nightlife in Sequoia National Park. C'mon, it is a place to camp and get away right?? Well, we were lucky to find restaurants to eat. The park is very secluded, (well, except on holiday weekends) and it is a nice romntic getaway for all you couples out there!

• ESPO's Profile Photo

The liveliest areas to go in...

by ESPO Written Aug 25, 2002

The liveliest areas to go in Monterey are directly located in downtown Monterey. Alvarado Street is the place to be when seeking excellent food and fun. There are also a few clubs and pubs as well, along with some movie theaters. Also, you could go to the always lush Cannery Row which is within walking distance of Alvarado Street.
    Monterey is definitely classified as a coastal city, which makes it so unique and fun.

Dress Code: casual -- dressy

• emmalola's Profile Photo

Any place with great music. ...

by emmalola Written Aug 24, 2002

Any place with great music. the louder the better. Less clothing=more fun.
    the best clubs are the ones where you can dance all night and swing your raver stick around in a dizzying array of light. And don't forget your water!

Dress Code: teeny tops with giant pants. yeah!

• RJ1967's Profile Photo

There are several good bars at...

by RJ1967 Updated Aug 24, 2002

There are several good bars at the Hermosa Beach Pier. Actually they are on the strand at Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach....abt 10 miles south of LAX
    Theres lots of relaxed people there. Mostly single and under 35. Keep in mind when you are there, not to bring any alcohol outside onto the beach as this is against the law and seriously enforced.

California Hotels

85 Reviews - 163 Photos
Napa Hotels
441 Reviews - 1237 Photos

Instant Answers: California

Comments

California Nightlife

Reviews and photos of California nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for California sightseeing.
Map of California