Oakdale Travel Guide

by 1983Angel

Oakdale Things to Do

• emilesc's Profile Photo

by emilesc Updated May 31, 2003

The summer of 2001, my friend and I were on a week-long road trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco. After staying with friends in Merced, we drove to Oakdale, home of one of the Hershey's chocolate factories.

At the time, Hershey's had hourly shuttles to the factory and gave tours, and it was pretty fun to see the inside of a chocolate factory without having to fly out to Pennsylvania.

Unfortunately, they no longer give tours of the facility. My guess is this is due to post-September 11 security concerns. Perhaps just as well because I was *not* happy to learn that Christmas Kisses were being made in the summer.

But the visitor's center and gift shop is still open, making it a pleasant stop-over in the San Joaquin Valley.

Oakdale Hotels

Satisfaction: Average

Oakdale Off The Beaten Path

• happyalways's Profile Photo

by happyalways Written Nov 5, 2004

My family (specifically Pake, Dad, and my brother) own and operate a dairy farm in Oakdale. All of the milk we produce is sent to a cheese factory where it is then made into -- you guessed it -- CHEESE!
    Now the majority of people I know like to eat cheese but have no clue as to the process which goes into creating it...there is a place in Oakdale where anyone can go to take a tour and discover the exciting development that takes milk from it's liquid form into the delicious chunks we know as cheese.

Instant Answers: Oakdale

Comments

Oakdale Travel Guide
Map of Oakdale