Places to eat in Oakland

Most Viewed Restaurants in Oakland

• davequ's Profile Photo

Skates on the Bay: For the view from Berkeley Marina

by davequ Updated Mar 28, 2008

It's all about the view, ambience. Good place imo if you're not from the area and want to eat while you look out at the Bay towards SF.
    Check out the 360 degree bay view from the dining room at their website

Decent seafood: amazing view from Berkeley Marina and also on the drive south back to Oakland south on the 580 W. Frontage Rd.

Park sometime along the frontage road & look across the bay at the City around 10 PM on a beautiful evening.

The pic is one I took from Oakland of the City, but the view from Skates bay, especially around and after twilight, is much better.

Favorite Dish: Clams or muscles with an apperitif (pretty good martinis or a glass of champagne);
    Then the classic seafood broil was delicious with your fave glass of wine.

Typically excellent Bay Area winelist.

One of the most noteworthy things in my opinion about Skates was the care and prep they put into simple side dishes like saffron rice. The sides were really tasty, not just afterthoughts.NOTE / UPDATE:
    I didn't realize I ate there last almost 6 years ago. It was at the time a high-end place with a great view and decent food.

Out of curiosity I just did some current review-checking, and rumors / opinions are that today (2008) the food is overpriced, slippin' in quality,
    and that Skates has become "a place to take a date" to impress him/her with the view, some flowers, and a large bill so that after dinner you might get lucky.

Just an fyi. If you are a local and you know this to be true, please send me an email or leave a comment until I get to check it out. Thanks.

• Wine Tasting

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Everett and Jones BBQ: Killer BBQ in a great location

by Cruiseone2003 Updated Mar 15, 2008

Everett and Jones, located in Jack London Square is one of my favorite places for BBQ. The location is just a block from the water, safe area, the ambiance is open and friendly, the staff are helpful and attentive, they will offer suggestions if you are unsure about what you want to order. What makes E and J's is their BBQ sauce, they make Mild, medium and Hot. In my opinion, the fact that they have a hot BBQ sauce is what does it for me, you can even order it by the case (I do) and give it to your friends and family; make converts out of all of them!!

Favorite Dish: I've had pretty much all their entree's but my favorite hands down is the brisket. It's slow cooked, has a nice crunchy outside full of flavor but under that crust is the most tender beef you will ever taste. Smother it with E and J's BBQ sauce and you have a plate full of heaven!
    You get a choice of two sides, I usually get the potato salad and sweet potatoes.

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Kinkaids: Great drinks, steak and seafood!

by Cruiseone2003 Written Mar 15, 2008

Kinkaids is one of my favorite restaurants to dine at when I go to Oakland to meet up with my friends who live in the East Bay. It's convenient to get to from the city even if you don't have a car, I personally like taking the ferry over or you can take BART to 12th street and take the bus or walk to Jack London Square.

Kinkaids has a great view of San Francisco, a full bar with a friendly staff, great place to meet for a drink and appetizers or dinner.

What I like about Kinkaids in Oakland is the diversity, everyone goes to just enjoy the food and drinks.

Favorite Dish: I recently dined at Kinkaids and really enjoyed the Crab and Artichoke heart dip with sliced sourdough for a starter and for my dinner a full rack of baby back ribs with their own BBQ sauce and a nice cole slaw. Kinkaids also makes a great martini but if you enjoy something a bit more flavorful try the "Lemon drop" they go down easy so be careful!

• pomarzu's Profile Photo

Red Sea Restaurant: Good East African Food

by pomarzu Updated Nov 24, 2007

Tasty, hearty Eritrean food. Nice music, great staff and reasonable prices. (If you're looking for fast food, DON'T GO -- the dishes are made to order so it takes a 20 minutes or so for your main course.) The attached bar (in a separate storefront next door) is always full with folks from Eritrea, Kenya and other East African countries. A great place to watch a football match and drink a few beers and hear some Tigrinya or Swahili being spoken.

This is an African restaurant -- if you are the type who likes the waitstaff hovering over your table, you should pass on the experience; however, you will be missing great food and a wonderful, relaxing ambiance.

Favorite Dish: Any of the chicken or lamb dishes are favorites. I think their Injera is the best in the East Bay (and I've sampled every Eritrean and Ethiopian restaurant more than once). If I had any complaints, they hold back a little on the spices even if you order your dishes "hot" until they know you.
    They also make good Sambusa (also called Samoza). Don't forget to try the honey wine. There are always several Eritrean or Ethiopian beers to choose from and on a good day, they have Tusker's Export (Kenyan).

• Eco-Tourism

• pomarzu's Profile Photo

Zachary's: Great Chicago-style Pizza

by pomarzu Written Nov 24, 2007

If you want some of the best Chicago-style (deep dish) pizza west of Chicago, go to Zachary's and order a pie. You'll have to wait 35-45 minutes while it is prepared -- they have a fairly good beer selection. It's a busy venue, often with a line out to the door and down the block on weekends, so it's great idea to call in advance. WARNING: they are a cash-only establishment, no plastic or checks.

Favorite Dish: I prefer the vegie pie (with spinach). But everything there has been great.

• Study Abroad

• thenewguy's Profile Photo

Crown Wok: Reasonbly priced alternative, chinese food

by thenewguy Updated Nov 3, 2007

The reason I decided to write a tip about this place is that I perused the Oakland restaurants and saw the Cheval tips... but I tried to go to Cheval and there was quite a crowd there and I didn't want to wait so long. Crown Wok is on the same block as Cheval. No way I'm going to compare foods at these two restaurants as they are different. But I love value, and I like good service and found both at Crown Wok.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Clay pot with chinese sausage and taro root. It came hot, sizzling in a creamy sauce which I'm able to spread over my white rice. I have ordered chinese sausage in other clay pots at other restaurants, and I'll have to admit that I was a bit disappointed here as there was not so much sausage, whole lots of taro root, and there was other fatty pork of some kind that wasn't sausage. But the clay pot was genuine and I would go back in the near future to try again. My wife had the vegetables with shrimp and scallops and the seafood was very tender and not overcooked. We also had the seafood with sizzling rice soup. I saw other's eating it at other tables too, so maybe it's a popular dish. They served Tea and were very attentive. Dishes were all under $10 some as low as $5.99.

• Donrogelio's Profile Photo

Citron: Best Bacon on the Planet

by Donrogelio Written Oct 29, 2007

We were looking for a place to eat breakfast on a Sunday. The place next door is busy, popular and has a loooooog wait. We walked ten feet over to Citron's and were glad of it. The restaurant has a brunch on Saturdays and Sundays and serves beautifful and delicious dishes. I ordered the red hash, thinking of traditional corned beef hash, but was surprised with eggs on the most delicious pieces of bacon. My son had the chile verde chilaquiles and my wife had the eggs benedict. Excellent find with a full bar. I will try the mimosas and bloody marys the next time to see if it compares to my all time great brunch at the Palace Cafe in New Orleans.

Favorite Dish: The Red Hash eggs breakfast

• kathymof's Profile Photo

Breads of India and Gourmet Curries: Great and varied cuisine

by kathymof Written May 13, 2007

Excellent food and great service. An added bonus is that parts of the menu change daily. They do not specialize in cuisine from just one part of India, but instead have dishes from all over. They also have a wonderful selection of naan. Yummy. I was traveling with a colleage who was from southern India and he found the food excellent - why else would we have gone there three days in a row?

Favorite Dish: Well I ate there three times in three days so I liked everyting, especially the naan. Everyone loved the food.

Siam Bay: Authentic Thai Food

by lacole Written Oct 22, 2006

This restaurant was where the welcome dinner was for guests for my friend's weekend wedding. Because the couple are both vegan this was the restaurant of choice. And a DARN GOOD CHOICE. The food was FABULOUS!!! Sticky rice, spring rolls, fresh vegetables, tofu, peanut sauce, soup. Of course not in that order and not combined. I had no idea what I ate but EVERYTHING was GOOD!!! Friends that have been to Thailand says that it tastes exactly how it should.

ABC Bakery and Cafe: Yummy

by lacole Updated Oct 22, 2006

It was midnight and I had a sweet tooth. It was recommended by one of the local boys to go to ABC Bakery in Oakland's Chinatown (around the corner from the Courtyard Marriott). Though the atmosphere was boring, the pastries, pies and cakes were cheap and good!! I looked at the store hours and they didn't close until 3 am.
    I bought two pastries and a lychee drink. One pastry was filled with custard and the other with a sweet red bean paste. The Lychee drink was very good and sweet. There were about six or so lychee and it's juice in a cup filled with i think seltzer water or some sort of carbonated water. It was very refreshing. I've had fresh lychee before and was able to compare the difference between fresh and canned. Even though the lychees were canned it still held lots of flavor. Everything was very good and simmered down that sweet tooth of mine.

What is a Lychee? A Lychee is a small round fruit that has a rough rose-coloured skin that can easily be peeled to reveal the sweet, juicy, almost translucent white flesh which contains a brown seed.

Cock-A-Doodle Cafe: peaceful

by lacole Updated Oct 22, 2006

This cute little restaruant/cafe is situated in downtown/old Oakland. My husband and I ate here for breakfast. Because we visited Oakland in October, most of the local customers ate indoors as it was a bit cool. Honestly, we preferred eating in the garden patio even though it was a bit nippy. What a pleasant surprise. It was so peaceful as we were the only ones eating outside. There's something to be said about eating breakfast outside surrounded by beautiful greenery, drinking tea and watching colorful hummingbirds zip by you in order to drink the morning nectar from the surrounding flowers.

For breakfast, we both had The Cockle special which consisted of french toast, chicken apple sausage and side orders of eggs. The french toast was absolutely delicious.

My husband who's a coffee drinker took a liking to the coffee

• emilesc's Profile Photo

Zachary's: Authentic Chicago-style pizza in the Bay Area

by emilesc Updated Oct 1, 2006

Many pizza places outside of Chicago claim to serve Chicago-style pizza, and most are resoundingly incorrect in that assessment. Nothing beats a pizza made in Chicago, but take it from a former Chicagoan, Zachary's is the closest to the real deal: a true deep-dish pizza pie with a buttery, flaky crust, tons of mozzerella cheese (see photo), stuffed with anything your heart desires, and topped with tomato sauce and bits of real tomato. See for yourself in the photos.

The sauce could have had a little more spice and tang to better approximate the real thing, but ultimately I have no complaints, and I will be back for another visit.

The setting is a typical pizza joint, very casual and the staff is friendly. Actually, it feels a little less stuffy than its counterparts in downtown Chicago, where I sometimes felt as though I were a little underdressed for such world-class pizza. There are whimsical posters (see photo) on the walls in celebration of the art of pizza.

Favorite Dish: My friend and I shared a stuffed pizza. She's a weirdo who likes things like olives, pinapples and artichokes on her pizza, so we went half and half on our pizza. I got extra cheese and baked chicken on mine, which isn't exactly traditional for Chicago deep-dish (usually I'll get spinach but at the time of this writing, we're still in the midst of the e coli spinach scare). But it's California, it's acceptable to improvise. :->

We ordered a small-sized pizza (yields 6 slices) and we both stopped after two slices, taking our respective third slices home. Hmmm... come to think of it, if we hadn't been piggies that day we could have made sufficient meals out of one of our slices.

Take note that these pizzas take 30-40 minutes to cook so don't be in a hurry. However, you can take half-baked pizzas to go.

• Mijori Japanese Restaurant: Here fishy, fishy, fishy.

by RblWthACoz Written Jul 30, 2006

There's no denying that I am a sushi snob. I've had it all over in a lot of different places. So of course I am going to be pretty choosy about where I eat my raw fish. I can say that Mijori is pretty good. One of the things I always watch for is the Ama-ebi (sweet shrimp). If it's clean and good, then the restaurant in it's entirety is usually the same as well.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Yoshi's: Best Japanese restaurant and best live music

by Tom_Fields Written Jan 8, 2005

This is an expensive place to go, but well worth it. Yoshi's hosts many of the top names in jazz, plus a few blues and salsa bands.

Favorite Dish: If you want a sampler of Japanese dishes, I suggest the Bento box (which changes each month). All the sushi dishes are exquisite.

• vierka's Profile Photo

Phnom Penh: Not Chinese Food - Cambodian!

by vierka Written Dec 15, 2004

The owners are warm and friendly, and the food is fantastic. This place is always crowded, especially on the weekends. They are closed on Sundays, and are generally open until 9pm.

From KTVU website: "One of the most authentic Cambodian restaurants in the Bay Area. Non-descript interior with faux wood paneling and paintings of Cambodia on the walls. Phnom Penh House isn't as attractive as nearby Battambang, but it's a tough call on who's food is better. If you've had more experience with Thai and Vietnamese food, remember that Cambodian is often less spicy. Located in the Oakland Chinatown area, this little spot attracts a diverse crowd -- downtown business types, jurors, college kids and cops."

Favorite Dish: #24 (Pork and Eggplant) and the "special" Proha soup with fish (with prawn is okay, but fish is excellent!).

Oakland Hotels

1 Review & Opinion
Regency Inn
Latest: Jun 17, 2008

Instant Answers: Oakland

Comments

Oakland Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Oakland locals.
Map of Oakland