Places to eat in Oakland

Most Viewed Restaurants in Oakland

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Mezze: Interesting place.

by cjg1 Written Sep 11, 2003

I have been here once for dinner and a couple of times to meet people at the bar. Its a fairly nice place with decent food. A bit more upscale in the evenings than I am used to or atleast than I was at the time.

Everett & Jones: Funky Barbecue

by davequ Updated Mar 19, 2010

Good "soul" barbecue. Everett & Jones has been locally owned & around Oakland area since '73.

I go to the one by Jack London Sq. @ 126 Broadway, but there are other locations around town.

Favorite Dish: Ribs ribs ribs. BBQ pork ribs drowned in funkified Everett & Jones sauce. They serve beer, etc. to wash it down.

Here's the dinner MENU

The beef brisket for lunch also rocks. Bump city!

Foto courtesy of American Institute of Wine & Food
    • Beer Tasting

SCOTT'S: Olde faithful

by davequ Updated Mar 19, 2010

Scott's has been around for decades, and I still never get tired of it.

You have not officially been to Jack London Sq. until you chow on a bowl of mussels and some ciopino or a big tuna steak on the heated deck at night.

One of my favorite cocktail lounge pianists on the planet, Jim Brown, holds court in the bar.
    When it comes to playing & singing piano-bar jazz ballads & standards,
    Jim is and will always be the man.

(I always asked him to play & sing Ray Charles' version of "Ruby") ...

Scott's usually has a slightly older, more laid-back crowd.

Favorite Dish: Some say the food is up & down, but I like the mood / ambience. It is so orange, 50s-60s retro.
    Mussels, ciopino, steaks, seafood, but eat outside at night on the heated terrace for the full effect, then have a nightcap and listen to Jim sing your favorite sad song.

They have a cool jazz champagne brunch on Sunday. Food's good, musicians can really play.
    Enjoy a fish tacos & champagne jam!

Scotts from behind the Waterfront Plaza Hotel
    • Music

Kincaids Fish Chop & Steakhouse: Good food on the water in Jack London Sq

by davequ Updated Mar 19, 2010

A good place to take someone for dinner or happy hour with a water view. Food, drinks, ambience are pretty decent.
    Kincaid's has a younger & looser crowd than Scott's.

Favorite Dish: I used to like the excellent roasted meats and their seafood.
    If nothing else, a good place for happy-hour drinks and snacks with friends & co-workers.

I don't know or care about any of the other national locations of Kincaid's. This is as much about location (looking out at the channel / bay) than anything else.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Cafe Eritrea D'afrique: Good Food / So-So Service!

by Hexepatty Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ethiopian food is among my favorites to eat. It's comfort food and always hits the spot, unlike Indian curries where I have to be in the mood for it. I was fortunate enough to be taken here while visiting for 4 days by a young Ethiopian friend. He felt this was most representitive of the best Ethiopian restaurants in all the East Bay. His choice did not disappoint! Service wasn't great. Atmosphere was very Mom/Pop - local feel. But don't let that deceive you. They make up for it in the quality of the food!

Favorite Dish: Alicha - Lamb. I know lots of folks don't dig lamb. Apparently non-lamb lovers feel there is an extra strong flavor to it. Perhaps this is true, but try it prepared Ethiopian style. If you still don't dig lamb - that is that. But if you give it a try, I bet you will enjoy it. This restaurant had among the most melt in your mouth prepared lamb I ever had. Just wonderous! I had a side of Hamlee (Collard greends) which was totally up to snuff. Their Shiro was also go (pureed chick peas, but not quite like hummus!)

Il Pescatore: Italian on the Square

by davequ Updated Mar 6, 2009

Get your traditional old-style Italian fix while you sit over the water.
    Cool interior - looks like a ship (see website) and hangs over the water with lots of windows.

Favorite Dish: Any / all the classic and heavy Italian favorites, meat or fish, & try their shrimp and/or crab Louie.
    Extensive menus at the website.
    "Opera nights" on the last Thursday of every month

Good Italian on Jack London Sq

• Basaic's Profile Photo

CyBelle's Pizza Restaurant: Very Good Delivery Pizza

by Basaic Written Dec 24, 2009

We were staying in Uncle Elmo's house with a great view of the bay and a full kitchen so we were mostly eating my sister's and niece's cooking. One night though we ordered delivery pizza. Pretty good. Hours are 11 AM to 11 PM daily.

Favorite Dish: Next time I want to try the Ragin' Cajun or the Tex Mex Pizza. Sounds good and spicy.

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

El Huarache Azteca: Great Authentic Mexican Food

by SJTravel Written Nov 28, 2008

The food here is delicious. I have never been to Mexico, but my friend who ate with me lived in Mexico City for a little bit of time. He loved the food here and said it was one of the closest finds to Mexico he has ever been to. It is not in the greatest of places in Oakland, but it was not completely unsafe. We parked pretty far (because parking can be difficult) and walked a good number of blocks and we were fine. But still be aware while you are there. The food is great and definitely worth the trip out there. The waiters and waitresses speak Spanish, they can speak English but will start with Spanish. The writing on the menus and on the walls are all in Spanish and English. It is great.

Favorite Dish: I had a huarache, one of the signature dishes of the restaurant. It was great. Very tasty. My friend had a combo plate and tortilla soup. The soup was not on the menu, but definitely worth the order. The best things that we had were the drinks. They had authentic Horchata and Jamaica. The Jamaica was especially great.

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Everett and Jones BBQ: Killer BBQ in a great location

by Cruiseone2003 Updated Mar 15, 2008

Everett and Jones, located in Jack London Square is one of my favorite places for BBQ. The location is just a block from the water, safe area, the ambiance is open and friendly, the staff are helpful and attentive, they will offer suggestions if you are unsure about what you want to order. What makes E and J's is their BBQ sauce, they make Mild, medium and Hot. In my opinion, the fact that they have a hot BBQ sauce is what does it for me, you can even order it by the case (I do) and give it to your friends and family; make converts out of all of them!!

Favorite Dish: I've had pretty much all their entree's but my favorite hands down is the brisket. It's slow cooked, has a nice crunchy outside full of flavor but under that crust is the most tender beef you will ever taste. Smother it with E and J's BBQ sauce and you have a plate full of heaven!
    You get a choice of two sides, I usually get the potato salad and sweet potatoes.

Restaurant Peony: Dim sum in Oakland Chinatown

by davequ Updated Apr 24, 2010

Good dim sum and lots of "Honk Kong's finest" at Restaurant Peony.
    This place was really worth the trip.
    Not cheap, maybe a little more than average, but good and worth it.

If you're going to be in Oakland, you have to try it if Chinese / Hong Kong / dim sum is your thing.

Not for amateurs, know your dim sum as sometimes, not much english.

Favorite Dish: Dim sum, Nanjing Crispy Skin Roast Duckling, or get crazy and go for the squab (with head) in wine. The entrees are very well-presented.
    Amazing food pics here

and a cute video that shows you everything,
    and will probably make you very hungry.

Here are the extensive MENUS

& den sum

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Kinkaids: Great drinks, steak and seafood!

by Cruiseone2003 Written Mar 15, 2008

Kinkaids is one of my favorite restaurants to dine at when I go to Oakland to meet up with my friends who live in the East Bay. It's convenient to get to from the city even if you don't have a car, I personally like taking the ferry over or you can take BART to 12th street and take the bus or walk to Jack London Square.

Kinkaids has a great view of San Francisco, a full bar with a friendly staff, great place to meet for a drink and appetizers or dinner.

What I like about Kinkaids in Oakland is the diversity, everyone goes to just enjoy the food and drinks.

Favorite Dish: I recently dined at Kinkaids and really enjoyed the Crab and Artichoke heart dip with sliced sourdough for a starter and for my dinner a full rack of baby back ribs with their own BBQ sauce and a nice cole slaw. Kinkaids also makes a great martini but if you enjoy something a bit more flavorful try the "Lemon drop" they go down easy so be careful!

• pomarzu's Profile Photo

Red Sea Restaurant: Good East African Food

by pomarzu Updated Nov 24, 2007

Tasty, hearty Eritrean food. Nice music, great staff and reasonable prices. (If you're looking for fast food, DON'T GO -- the dishes are made to order so it takes a 20 minutes or so for your main course.) The attached bar (in a separate storefront next door) is always full with folks from Eritrea, Kenya and other East African countries. A great place to watch a football match and drink a few beers and hear some Tigrinya or Swahili being spoken.

This is an African restaurant -- if you are the type who likes the waitstaff hovering over your table, you should pass on the experience; however, you will be missing great food and a wonderful, relaxing ambiance.

Favorite Dish: Any of the chicken or lamb dishes are favorites. I think their Injera is the best in the East Bay (and I've sampled every Eritrean and Ethiopian restaurant more than once). If I had any complaints, they hold back a little on the spices even if you order your dishes "hot" until they know you.
    They also make good Sambusa (also called Samoza). Don't forget to try the honey wine. There are always several Eritrean or Ethiopian beers to choose from and on a good day, they have Tusker's Export (Kenyan).

• Eco-Tourism

• kathymof's Profile Photo

Breads of India and Gourmet Curries: Great and varied cuisine

by kathymof Written May 13, 2007

Excellent food and great service. An added bonus is that parts of the menu change daily. They do not specialize in cuisine from just one part of India, but instead have dishes from all over. They also have a wonderful selection of naan. Yummy. I was traveling with a colleage who was from southern India and he found the food excellent - why else would we have gone there three days in a row?

Favorite Dish: Well I ate there three times in three days so I liked everyting, especially the naan. Everyone loved the food.

• Mijori Japanese Restaurant: Here fishy, fishy, fishy.

by RblWthACoz Written Jul 30, 2006

There's no denying that I am a sushi snob. I've had it all over in a lot of different places. So of course I am going to be pretty choosy about where I eat my raw fish. I can say that Mijori is pretty good. One of the things I always watch for is the Ama-ebi (sweet shrimp). If it's clean and good, then the restaurant in it's entirety is usually the same as well.

• emilesc's Profile Photo

Zachary's: Authentic Chicago-style pizza in the Bay Area

by emilesc Updated Oct 1, 2006

Many pizza places outside of Chicago claim to serve Chicago-style pizza, and most are resoundingly incorrect in that assessment. Nothing beats a pizza made in Chicago, but take it from a former Chicagoan, Zachary's is the closest to the real deal: a true deep-dish pizza pie with a buttery, flaky crust, tons of mozzerella cheese (see photo), stuffed with anything your heart desires, and topped with tomato sauce and bits of real tomato. See for yourself in the photos.

The sauce could have had a little more spice and tang to better approximate the real thing, but ultimately I have no complaints, and I will be back for another visit.

The setting is a typical pizza joint, very casual and the staff is friendly. Actually, it feels a little less stuffy than its counterparts in downtown Chicago, where I sometimes felt as though I were a little underdressed for such world-class pizza. There are whimsical posters (see photo) on the walls in celebration of the art of pizza.

Favorite Dish: My friend and I shared a stuffed pizza. She's a weirdo who likes things like olives, pinapples and artichokes on her pizza, so we went half and half on our pizza. I got extra cheese and baked chicken on mine, which isn't exactly traditional for Chicago deep-dish (usually I'll get spinach but at the time of this writing, we're still in the midst of the e coli spinach scare). But it's California, it's acceptable to improvise. :->

We ordered a small-sized pizza (yields 6 slices) and we both stopped after two slices, taking our respective third slices home. Hmmm... come to think of it, if we hadn't been piggies that day we could have made sufficient meals out of one of our slices.

Take note that these pizzas take 30-40 minutes to cook so don't be in a hurry. However, you can take half-baked pizzas to go.

Our half and half.  Guess which side is mine. I call this the Golden Gate Bridge of Cheese photo Pizza art at Zachary's Zachary's is hiring!

Oakland Hotels

Howard Johnson Oakland Bay
Marriott Oakland City Center
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Oakland

Comments

Oakland Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Oakland locals.
Map of Oakland