Yoshi's, Oakland

by zwack
  • davequ's Profile Photo

Yoshi's: Even if you're not there for the Jazz

by davequ Updated Mar 19, 2010

Even if you don't want to catch the show,
    Yoshi's
    has excellent food, specializing in what they are calling "modern Japanese" by Chef Shotaro Kamio
    and of course excellent sushi you can eat at the sushi bar, your table, or in the jazz club.

Favorite Dish: My faves were: Edamame, miso soup, maguro, sake, unagi, spicy tuna roll, a kirin ichiban and either a warm sake or even better, their plum wine

Drink and beverage menus at the website here

• Wine Tasting

• Yoshi's: Small portions; Inflated prices; 2nd-rate Quality

by cheerytiger Written Dec 30, 2007

I've been a patron at Yoshi'd for over 20 years, although we are more often there for the music.

Recently, we celebrated a friend's birthday with both dinner and jazz. I was shocked at how expensive the sushi had become. When we sat down, the waitress told us that our orders would arrive as they are ready. Two hours later, we still had not received all of our order and barely made it to the show! The portions were less than half the size and the price was twice as much! I spent $150 and came away still hungry because the portions were so tiny. $16 for an O-toro roll for 5 pieces - that is more than $3 a piece and the quality was not even close to being worth it.

The sashimi used to be a nice fat slice is now less than 1/2 its previous size. ! was severely disappointed. I wrote to Yoshi's about this and the answer I received was that they had redesigned their menu "to bring forth (the new executice chef's) philosophy of 'Seasonal, Simple and Surprise'. (They) have taken the quality of (their) product to a new level."

"Surprise" certainly described my experience. I was surprised at the tiny portions, the incredibly jacked up prices, and the lack of quality.The demise of once-great establishments is inevitable.

Go there if you want to pay the exhorbitant price for overrated sushi. You'd get a better deal almost anywhere else. Try Kai's in Alameda, for example. A $10 salmon roll is the size of a small loaf of bread and yummy and fresh to boot!

• Yoshi's in Oakland (Jack London Square): Too expensive now - past its prime

by deannfreitag Written Jan 12, 2007

We've been going there for 15 years as a family for special occasions. Has always been a nice place, a little pricey but it was worth it. The kids liked the tatami tables. Went tonight and were VERY disappointed. The menu has totally changed and its prices have increased by 50%.

Asked the waitperson if it had changed hands and she said they got a new chef last September (2006) so the menu is now suited to his cooking. CA roll is $7; 8 little bites of Kobi beef is $12; 5 scallops is $12; a side of rice is $2; side of miso soup is $2; got a large hot sake for $15 and since we had to ask for it to be served (we thought they had forgoten it), I thought we got the little one. No, we got the $15 bottle. Sushi House in Alameda has sanme size for $6.50 and everything is just as fresh.

It's all al la carte. We used to love the lunchbox dinners (had adult and child sizes) because of the size and variety of flavors and price. They are no more.

Our last time we're going there I'm afraid. Too many good and fresh Japanese restaurants around for sushi and nigiri to pay those prices and we weren't even full when we left ($130 later for 4 and 2 were kids). Went home and made Crepes Suzette for the dessert of the birthday occasion. Too bad.

• Luxury Travel

• Yoshi's: Lunch Special

by wiamy Written Aug 10, 2004

If you like Jazz, you cant miss this restaurant. But if you want to enjoy your meal in less $ with great service, you could stop by during lunch time. Their lunch are not expensive for those environment.

Favorite Dish: I just love Katsu Curry Rice, cant miss it!

• vierka's Profile Photo

Yoshi's: Jazz-lovers oasis

by vierka Written Jul 8, 2004

Although the sushi is fantastic (try the uni with quail egg or go for the standard favorite, unagi), the cocktails are decent too. Most people come here for the jazz. If you're on a budget, check out the website www.yoshis.com for the late night (usually 10pm) discounted shows. I have seen a lot of talented local and national singers here, including Regina Carter, and even Diana Krall has headlined here. It's a terrific, intimate venue.

• zwack's Profile Photo

Yoshi's: Japanese Restaurant & World Class Jazz House

by zwack Written Apr 25, 2003

Yoshi's has served Japan's best traditional dishes to Bay Area patrons since 1973. The menu highlights artfully arranged sushi, fresh grilled seafood, classic Japanese dishes, and vegetarian fare. Take off your shoes in the traditional Japanese tatami seating or dine at tables. Expert sushi chefs can create sushi and sashimi to order either in the restaurant or in the jazz house. Start the evening in the cocktail lounge before dinner or have a nightcap after taking in a show in the jazz house.

Instant Answers: Oakland

Comments

Hotels Near Yoshi's
4.0 out of 5 stars