Car Culture, Oceanside

YIELD!

What does it mean YIELD?

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 6, 2004

YIELD!

Hmm... I didn't know exactly what the English word YIELD meant when I arrived to the USA - something like to give up, I thought. In American English to yield to traffic coming from another direction is to wait and allow it to go first. So, there were yield writings on the highway surface.

Drivind around a few communities and cities in Southern California I noticed that there were many more STOP signs than YIELD ones - especially in residential areas.
    So, I was a little surprised to see big yield signs driving (a little) around Oceanside.

From my friend Paula (paulapes) from Rhode Island, USA:
    YIELD in Rhode Island means go faster get through the intersection before the oncoming car - no, not really, but that's what a lot of people do!
    Thank you Paula :-)).

TRAFFIC SIGNS in the USA:
    Have a good driving :-))).

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Gas stations - 6 questions, 4 replies!

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 6, 2004

OCEANSIDE  -  GAS  PRICES

1. Do they have petrol/fuel and petrol stations? No, they do NOT. Travelling around the USA don't look for petrol and petrol stations! There is a gas and gas stations, instead!

2. What kind of gas do they sell?
    As you can see there are 4 kinds of gas sold:
    Reg. = Regular
    Spec. = Special
    Sup.+ = Super Plus
    Diesel

3. What does it mean 9/10 on the picture?
    Hmm.. I don't know. Do you know? E-mail me please :-).
    From my friend Linda (lmkluque):
    9/10 means .009 of a dollar. $2.17 9/10 is really almost $2.18. It is a trick. You say, "I paid $2.17 for gas when you're actually paying $2.18 because anything after .005 rounds up to the next number. Everyone knows this but no one pays attention to it. :-) You know, a penny one way or the other isn't important.
    Thank you Linda :-).
    From my friend David (newyorkrrman):
    The 9/10 on the gas prices, that means 90% of a penny per gallon. It's like the frequent business practice of charging 99 cents for an item, instead of $1 even, supposed to make people think that they are paying less that they are.
    Thank you David :-).

4. Which gas to buy?
    Hmm... I don't know.
    I bought Special for my (rented) Buick Century (175-horsepower 3100 V6 Engine) and... Regular at the end of my trip (try to guess why hehe). Did I do right?

5. How to pay for a gas?
    Hmm... look at the sign:
    SELF = self service
    Cash or credit = you can pay in cash or by credit/debit cards either in a pump or at the cashier.
    I usually paid by cash like most of locals.

6. How much is a gas in Oceanside now?
    Follow the link given below and search for Oceanside gas stations.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Don't they ride motorcycles?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 19, 2003

OCEANSIDE  BY  MOTORBIKE?

I expected to see a lot of motorcycles in warm Southern California and... what a surprize: I could see very few motorbikes (except policemen riding them) around Oceanside and San Diego County area. I wonder why? Any ideas?

Maybe it was too early (April), or maybe they are used only by younger generations, busy studying that time or maybe they just prefer more comfortable and save cars. What do you think?

From my friend Linda (lmkluque):
    Motorcycles are used more for sporting occasions than transportation as it is not the safest method of getting around.

Instant Answers: Oceanside

Comments

Other Local Customs in Oceanside