Local traditions and culture in Oceanside

OCEANSIDE - GAS PRICES
    YIELD!

Most Viewed Local Customs in Oceanside

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Margaritas, Chips, Salsa, and a Sunset

by lmkluque Updated Jan 2, 2013

There is nothing pretentious about Oceanside, it is a place of diversity and the people who live here mostly have some connection to Camp Pendelton, so it is a U.S. Marine town. The people living here, work hard and party hard and in recent years this town has become more popular with tourists. Efforts have been and are being made to show a tourist a good time while in Oceanside.

The Harbor area has been built up and new things added. Take a stroll along the marina and enjoy the sights and the ocean breeze, the stop in at a restaurant with outside patio and watch the sunset.

This is the way to relax!

Buckets of Chips
    • Beaches

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Wooden or not wooden houses?

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

There were quite many houses similar to this one on my picture at least close to the Oceanside Harbor (Marina). Were they made of wood (hmm... I doubt) or it's something (vinyl?) which was called "siding" in my country.

Btw they looked a little similar to houses I could see in Norway and Sweden if you skip the palm trees around. Am I wrong?

From my friend Chris (balfor) from Atlanta (Georgia):
    Yes, we call it siding, but will frequently also refer to the material it is made out of. Probably the most common types of siding currently available are wood, vinyl and hardiplank (or cement board). 30 years ago, the siding of choice was aluminum, but that has fallen out of favour in modern times.

Sign my flag, please!

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

I am not sure whether it can become a new VT custom but I brought Poland's flag from Poland and asked my VT-friends to sign on the flag. Good idea?

The flag with many signatures is just behind me now hehe :-).

YUBERT  SIGNING  MY  FLAG :-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

They painted the lighthouse for me :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 6, 2004

Believe me or not but my VT friends painted the white conical Oceanside Harbor Lighthouse in... Poland's national colours that is in white and red stripes just before our arrival!
    Look at my picture and here, please.

Thank you very much my great friends! You are much more crazy than me !!!
    Please do NOT change the colours :-).

Ugly and... expensive?

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 27, 2003

I noticed that they often built at least one ugly building as on my picture in the best location = close to the beautiful Pacific Ocean and not only in Oceanside but for example in Coronado as well.

I guess that it's an appartment building with very expensive appartments. Am I wrong?
    It seems that business is sometimes more important than beauty.

Hmm... it looks worse in many European Mediterranean beach towns and cities (in Spain and Italy) which are often full of such (and higher) buildings built mainly in 60' and 70'.
    What do you think?

From my friend Linda (lmkluque):
    The ugly building at the marina is a hotel not apartment building. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure.
    Thank you Linda!

From my friend Linda (Imkluque) again:
    "Well Matt, your friend Linda was wrong. That building is called Marina Towers and is not a Hotel, it is a building of Condos. Sorry for misleading you.
    Your imperfect friend,
    Linda."
    Matt loves imperfect friends :-))).

UGLY BUILDING BY BEAUTIFUL OCEANSIDE MARINA !

"Hollywood palm trees"

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 19, 2003

There are a lot of palm trees along the main and wider highways/streets of Oceanside including the main Pacific Coastal Highway 101 (marked as S-21) as you can see on my picture.

Palm trees grow exclusively in hot countries (not in Poland) so I always think about holidays when I see them. I am not specialist on palm trees but those one in Oceanside have very tall trunks without branches with relatively small mass of long pointed leaves at the top. Hmm... I call them "Hollywood palm trees" :-).

From my friend Linda (lmkluque):
    Those palm trees had just been "trimmed," that is why there are so few fronds on the trees.
    Thank you Linda.

PALM  TREES  ALONG  PACIFIC  COASTAL  HIGHWAY
    • Eco-Tourism

Clean area?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 19, 2003

It seems that Oceanside is a very clean area. There are no wastes and garbages seen neither at streets, on the beaches nor in locals' yards. And people surely always wear clean (although casual) clothes as well. Am I wrong?

Is it a culture thing or strict law about littering? Probably both. Am I wrong?
    Hmm... for littering on a freeway I-5 you may get $1000 (one thousand!) fine.

From my friend Linda (lmkluque):
    Littering is not accepted socially. There were trash cans but the trash cans were discretely disguiesed. Remember, there was a trash can next to the table we sat at when we first arrived?

Dress code

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 19, 2003

It seems that either locals and visitors wear just casual clothes in Oceanside. For some people casual clothes means a shapeless T-shirt and old jeans, for other chinos and sweaters.
    Both are socially acceptable in Oceanside and generally in California - maybe except in top, luxury restaurants. Am I right? I never visited them. Try to guess why? :-))).

From my friend Linda (lmkluque):
    Casual is accepted in most places unless stated at the door, ie. "Jacket and Tie required" or "No Tennis Shoes" etc. However, each person should dress in the way they feel comfortable for the occasion. Tourist often don't have dressy clothes with them so their casualness is overlooked. See what I mean?
    Thank you Linda.

Latest: Jul 14, 2014
Mission San Luis Rey Retreat
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Oceanside

Comments

Oceanside Local Customs

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Oceanside locals.
Map of Oceanside