LOS ANGELES, California

Know about this? Rate It!

by roamer61
    by LizC
    by Ky_Happy_Dad
  • mike1427's Profile Photo

Get out of the city.

by mike1427 Written Apr 18, 2008

Catalina Island from what I understand is quite a tourist attraction. But if you happen to go during the right time of year, it can be a quiet getaway. The island itself doesn't have much to it, and most people only spend one night there. I decided to stay for two nights and give myself plenty of time to relax after getting out of Los Angeles and before my flight home. I was there during October/November when it was a little cooler than the summer months. Not a great time of year if you want to go snorkeling, but well worth it if you want to see the island and avoid the people.

• roamer61's Profile Photo

The Hollywood Wax Museum

by roamer61 Updated Jan 17, 2004

The Hollywood Wax Museum is a little known attraction down the road from Knotts Berry Farm. This great museum had life-like figures of famous stars from both the movies and TV. Many in realistic scenes. Examples are Laurel and Hardy, Dorothy and company from the Wizard of Oz and Star Trek. (Note: Exhibits may change over time) This picture is a scene from the Our Gang Comedies.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Hollywood

by bugalugs Written Feb 25, 2003

I know this may sound a little bizarre to some people, but we visited the Hollywood Memorial Park Cemetery. It was really interesting though, in fact there was quite a lot of visitors there. We drove straight into the cemetery, parked along by the grass verge and a man came up and handed us this leaflet giving information on who was buried there etc.
    Some I had never heard of but there were others I had:
    Rudolph Valentino
    Peter Lorre
    Tyrone Power
    Edward G. Robinson
    Clifton Webb
    Woody Herman
    Jane Mansfield
    Douglas Fairbanks Snr

All of these are not actually buried, some were cremated and their ashes are in Mausoleum.

The address is:
    6000 Santa Monica Boulevard

In fact there was an tv truck outside the Mausoleum, when we entered we were told they had just been filming there as it was Rudolph Valentinos anniversary!

People were so helpful, telling us who people were, that they had been in this show or that show, but some were not know to us at all.

I know its not everyones choice to go and visit a cemetery when you are on holiday but it was different and we were glad we went.

• tompt's Profile Photo

La Brea Tar Pits

by tompt Updated Oct 25, 2002

La Brea tarpits

La Brea Tar Pits. In the middle of an urban area near LA tar is coming up from the earth. Since ages animals have mistaken the black shiny lake for water. When trying to enter it they got stuck and drowned. The George C. Page museum hosts the skeletons of a sabletooth tiger and other prehistoric animals that drowned here.
    More pics in our La Brea Tar Pits travelogue.

• Sarah2005's Profile Photo

When visiting California it is...

by Sarah2005 Written Aug 26, 2002

When visiting California it is hard to see everything, and sometimes you miss things....one thing I sugest not to miss is Beverly Hills! that is a must see, to see celebs homes..and go shoping with the stars who know it's very possible you could run into a celeb there, but look VERY closly they are HARD to find!

• Ky_Happy_Dad's Profile Photo

When visiting Los Angeles,...

by Ky_Happy_Dad Written Aug 24, 2002

When visiting Los Angeles, many vacationers go to Disney Land or Hollywood. Not as many go to Catalina, which is a shame because this island is a treat. I recommend getting away from the smog and the freeways by taking the ferry to Catalina Island. Ferries depart from the Long Beach. The island is small and relaxing, especially compared to the hustle and bustle of L.A.

Instant Answers: California