Palm Springs Off The Beaten Path

  • Off The Beaten Path
    by Yaqui
  • He was wondering what I was looking at...LOL
    He was wondering what I was looking...
    by Yaqui
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by Yaqui

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Palm Springs

  • JLBG's Profile Photo

    The Agua Caliente

    by JLBG Updated May 3, 2005

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Cahuilla Indians have inhabited the area from Borrego to Riverside for more than 2000 years, an area of about 2,400 square miles. There are 10 reservations in Southern Ca. The band who settled in what is now Palm Springs are the Agua Caliente Indians. Other Cahuilla bands are the Morongo, Los Coyotes, Torres-Martinez, Cabazon and the Santa Rosa.

    There may have been as many as 10,000 Cahuillas before contact with the Europeans who in 1862 brought a small pox epidemic. Only about 2,500 survived. Today there are about 290 registered Cahuillas as recorded by the tribal headquarters
    The Agua Caliente band in Palm Springs collect Park fees for tourists and hikers to see the beautiful natural Palm Canyon and two other natural springs.

    For more on the Agua Caliente band, visit their web site.

    Related to:
    • Desert

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Pemtemwhaha ~Gardian of Hoofed Animal

    by Yaqui Written May 9, 2009

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Cahuilla Gardian of Hoofed Animal

    There once was a deity named Pemtemwhaha. He was powerful and respected deity who protected bighorn sheep, antelope, and deer. In the past, traditional Bird Singers would perform songs and Cahuilla shamans performed ceremonies to respect this deity.

    This is a public art program to increase the awareness of the plight of the endangered peninsular Bighorn Sheep of the San Jacinto and Santa Rosa Mountains.

    If you have not already notices, these wonderful pieces of art are located in many locations of Palms Springs and outside of Palm Springs. Look around, one might be staring you down. They are beautiful pieces of art.

    This one is located in:
    AGUA CALIENTE CULTURAL MUSEUM

    Winter: Sept 3 – May 27
    Wed –Sat 10am-5pm
    Sun 12pm-5pm
    Summer: May 28-Sept 2
    Friday – Sat 10am-5pm
    Sun 12pm-5pm

    219 South Palm Canyon Drive, At the Village Green Heritage Center in downtown Palm Springs.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Agua Calient Women Bronze Sculpture

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This lovely sculpture is just one of many center pieces the city has all over Palms Springs. So keep your eyes out for them.

    Plaque reads:
    Doug Hyde American Born, 1946
    Agua Calient Women, 1994 Bronze
    Commissioned with funds provided by City of Palm Springs Public Arts Commission, 1994.

    Located at Tahquitz Canyon Way and E of Indian Canyon. Just a street over from Palm Canyon Way

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • JLBG's Profile Photo

    Towards Joshua Tree NP

    by JLBG Written May 2, 2005

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Around Palm Springs, driving to Joshua Tree National Park, the country is dry, with occasional small cities. The landscape is dramatic, with the bare and dry mountains that overhang the valley, mostly covered with shrubs. As soon as there is a spring or an irrigated area, the vegetation becomes abundant.

    Related to:
    • Desert

    Was this review helpful?

  • awayhome's Profile Photo

    A thousand windmills

    by awayhome Updated Apr 6, 2004

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    There seem to be thousands of these massive, extra terrestrial looking, windmills spread out row after row as you near Palm Springs on Highway 10 coming from Los Angeles. There are really a sight to behold and are probably worth a photo stop. We had tried to get closer but there don't seem to be any roads that are open to the public so your best bet would be to book a tour which can be done in Palm Springs. This region is said to be one of the windiest regions in the world and is perfectly suited for generating power by wind thanks to these windmills.

    windmills generating power for Palm Springs

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This historical marker is located up the stairs towards the first viewing area on the rocks to the left.

    Local Historic Civil Engineering Landmark

    Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
    Albert A. Webb, ch. Richard S Titera, Pres.

    Designated by San Bernardino – Riverside Branch
    And Los Angeles Section 1980

    One Tramway Rd. Palm Springs, CA. 92262

    Hours of Operation
    Cars depart at least every half hour from 10 a.m., Monday-Friday; 8 a.m. weekends and holiday periods. Last car up is 8 p.m. with the last car down at 9:45 p.m

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Oasis Hotel Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Oasis Hotel, constructed 1923-25, contained approximately 20 units and included the Tower Building the only three story hotel building in Palms Springs for many years.

    The 40 foot tower, with its pyramidal roof, provided access to the upper story rooms and a roof top terrace. The topmost room was called “Loretta Young’s Room”, because it was her favorite in Palm Springs.

    The Modern/Art Deco-style hotel was designed by Lloyd Wright the son of Frank Lloyd Wright, and constructed of solid concrete using a technique which was quite advanced for that time.

    The McCallum adobe, once located on this site has been moved to the village green.

    HSPB-10 This plaque sponsored by Nathan W. & Bernadette K. Cohen.

    121 North Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, Ca.

    This one is on the walkway, so look down. He was wondering what I was looking at...LOL
    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    The Cork’n Bottle Building Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Cork’n Bottle Building
    Built 1935-36

    A rare example of a Depression Era Art Modern style building in Palm Springs. The double and triple bands of horizontal streamline moldings, flat unembellished blocky wall surfaces, and symmetrical façade are characteristics of the Art Modern Style.

    Originally Simpson’s Radio & Frigidaire Company, the Cork’n Bottle occupied the building since 1950.

    Designed Class 1 Historic Site #31 by Palm Springs City Council on May 1, 1996

    North Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, Ca.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Tramway Gas Station Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Located at the Official Visitor Center at the entrance of the Aerial Tramway.

    Tramway Gas Station
    Built in 1965

    Designed by
    Albert Frey and Robson Chambers

    Conceived by developer Culver Nicholas as
    An entry statement to Palm Springs, the roof
    Is a hyperbolic paraboloid of steel I-beams and corrugated metal roofing supported by steel tubular pillars. Albert Frey was consulted in its’ 1998-1999 adaptive reuse as a sculpture gallery.

    Historic Site Preservation Board #33

    1 Tramway Road, Palm Springs, Ca 92262

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Welwood Murray Memorial Library Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    In 1938 George Welwood Murray donated this land to provide for a library as a memorial to his father, Welwood Murray pioneer hotel operator. Cornelia white donated an additional strip of property on the eastern end of the site. The existing structure, designed by John Porter Clark and constructed by Charles Chamberlin, opened as the first permanent home of the Palm Springs Public Library in Fegruary 1941. With the completion of the Library Center at Sunrise Plaza in October 1975 the Welwood Murray Memorial Library became the downtown branch.

    HSPS-13 This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.

    100 South Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, Ca

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Lykken’s Department Store Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Feb 17, 2012

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Desert Pioneer, Carl Lykken, built the first general store in the village in 1914. For many years it contained the only telephone and the post office. The store was remodeled with the existing overhang and arches when sidewalks were installed in the early 1930s.
    Carl Lykken helped to establish the first Police Protection District and served on it board until the City incorporated in 1938.

    HSPB-9 This plaque sponsored by the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century. Cape Ann Chapter, Califorina.

    182 N Palm Canyon Dr Palm Springs CA 92262

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Site of First Community Church Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is the site of the first community church in Palm Springs Welwood Murray donated the land in 1906 and the little church stood as a landmark in the village until 1934. The existing Carnell Building designed by Harold Williams was completed in 1938, Julia Carnell owner of National Cash Register, financed both this building and the development of La Plaza.

    HSPB-11. The plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.

    196 North Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, Ca.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    County of Riverside Historical Marker No.044

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Desert Inn
    On this site in 1908, Nellie N. Coffman 1867-1950
    Husband Harry and two sons George Robert and Earl Coffman established a small health resort hotel, Desert Inn. Her ability, determination, and charm extended the resorts reputation and people came from all over the world. In 1927, a modern hotel replaced the earlier structures. Nellie’s love and charitable works for the community earned the title of Mother Coffman. The hotel gave way to a shopping complex 1967.

    123 North Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, Ca.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    McCallum Adobe Historical Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The McCallum Adobe the oldest remaining building in Palm Springs was built in 1885 for John and Emily McCallum the areas first white settlers. Originally constructed on the corner of Palm Canyon Drive and Tahquitz Way, and later a part of the Oasis Hotel, the McCallum adobe was moved to this site during the early 1950’s. Pearl McCallum McManus donated this land to the City with the condition that the McCallum adobe be preserved on it. The building now serves as the museum and headquarters of the Palm Springs Historical Society.

    The names and symbols carved into some of the adobe blocks are believed to be those of the workmen who formed the blocks.

    HSPB-5, This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.

    221 North Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, Ca.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This other significant marker is located up the stairs towards the first viewing area on the rocks to the left.

    Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
    Dedicated by
    Governor Edmund G. Brown
    Sept 12, 1963
    Mountain Station 8516 Feet
    Mt. San Jacinto Winter Park Authority
    O. Earl Coffman – Chairman
    Frank M Bogert
    Francis R Crocker
    Virgil D Davidson
    James G Nusbaum
    V W Grubbs
    Stanley J O’Neill

    Henry L Lockwood – Counsel

    One Tramway Rd. Palm Springs, CA. 92262

    Hours of Operation
    Cars depart at least every half hour from 10 a.m., Monday-Friday; 8 a.m. weekends and holiday periods. Last car up is 8 p.m. with the last car down at 9:45 p.m

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Palm Springs

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

39 travelers online now

Comments

Palm Springs Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Palm Springs off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Palm Springs sightseeing.

View all Palm Springs hotels