Palo Alto Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Palo Alto

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Sushi House: Get your sushi... Fast!

Sushi House Palo Alto

For a quick bite before headed to the airport, we stopped in at the Sushi House for lunch. It was almost fast food, but then again its not like you have to wait for the sushi to cook!

I had the combo platter, it was 15 dollars, and was very good. There were smaller platters for about 7 dollars... but you can never get enough sushi!

Not the best I have ever had, but it was very fast!

Peet's Coffee and Tea: Peet's

Peet's Coffee and Tea

Peet's is a great little coffee shop right outside the Stanford University campus. The coffee was very fresh, and I had a tasty muffin. It was a lot less expensive than what I normally pay at Starbucks, so well worth the cup of Joe!

• Study Abroad

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Cook Book Restaurant: Have a Cook Book!

Cook Book Restaurant - Palo Alto

On the way to one of my business meetings, we stopped in at the Cook Book restaurant for breakfast. I had an omelette and it was delicious. Great place for a quick breakfast!

Enjoy it, and if you like them... try the cheese blintzes!

• Study Abroad

• elji's Profile Photo

Indochine (formerly called The Mint Leaf): Great Thai curry

by elji Updated Jun 13, 2007

This restaurant is a little off the beaten path and was opened in late 2003 or early 2004 I think. The food is mostly Thai and some Vietnamese, with a few tasty vegetarian options. It is in a small, unassuming building next to a pizza place and a hair salon. The decor is nice and minimal, with nice ambient lighting and artwork. It usually has quite nice music playing too. Here is a link to an online review: http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/2003/2003_11_28.mintleaf28.html

Favorite Dish: My favorite dishes are the spicy seafood soup and the green curry eggplant. The spicy seafood soup has coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, and lots of really high quality seafood in it including large scallops, shrimp, and well-cleaned mussels. Very tasty and piping hot! The green curry eggplant also has some spicy green peppers in it, coconut milk, and basil. Very delicious!

• elji's Profile Photo

La Morenita: Best red enchiladas and rellenos

by elji Updated Dec 3, 2004

Very homey restaurant with wood panelling. Not a touristy place. Very authentic, delicious food. Often very crowded at lunch time (so sometimes service is slower then). It is usually less crowded at dinner. The staff are very friendly and the food is consistently good.

Favorite Dish: You can get your choice of many different items on a combination plate, with a different price for one, two, or three items. I prefer a smaller plate, and usually just get one item.

My favorite is the chile relleno with rice and beans. A second favorite is the red enchilada. Neither of these is extremely spicy, but both dishes have an excellent flavor. A good compliment is an ice cold Negro Modelo beer!

• Business Travel

Mango Caribbean Restaurant & Bar

by Ewingjr98 Updated Oct 6, 2008

When heading off to new towns I always try to find something unique I can't get back home. In Monterey I can get just about any kind of food I can imagine, but I never realized we don't have Caribbean food. So when planning my short visit to Palo Alto, the two or three Caribbean restaurants in town really caught my eye. Mango had the best reviews on Yelp so we decided to check it out.

We finally wandered by the restaurant just as it was getting dark, maybe at 6:30 pm. There were a few people seated at a few of the four outside tables and inside was even busier. Compared to many other restaurants we passed earlier, this seemed very lively despite its just-a-little-bit-off-the-beaten-path location. We were immediately seated at one of the remaining outdoor tables and Laura ordered a sangria and I asked for a Jamaican Red Stripe; the waitress asked if I wanted a big one or a small one, and I was confused having never seen a big bottle of Red Stripe...sure enough 24 ounces!

Our meal started with the "Mobay" appetizer, consisting of spicy fried shrimp with fried plantain and rice for $8.50; this was an excellent start to our meal as the shrimp were the perfect spiciness and the sweet plantains an interesting counter to the spice. Laura decided to try something completely different for her main course and chose the "Raggamuffin Style" which is marinated oxtail with red beans and rice and fried veggies for $14.50, and I had the "Reggae Platter" with jerked chicken over white rice or red beans & rice for $12. Both meals had very large quantities of fresh and tasty food. My jerk chicken was boneless and spicy, but not over the top. The oxtail was flavorful, but without the spicy kick of the shrimp or the jerk chicken. The red beans and rice were buttery and tasty, but the fried veggies were a little heavy on the onions, which were somewhat undercooked and raw.

Overall, this was a great and unique meal that left me wanting to visit the Caribbean!

Old Pro Sports Bar

by Ewingjr98 Updated Oct 4, 2008

The front of Old Pro Sports Bar

The Old Pro Sports Bar is a huge bar right in the middle of downtown Palo Alto with about 25 flat screen TVs and a huge following. It was one of the few relatively casual bars I found in Palo Alto and I was happy to spend a few hours here on a Saturday during college football season.

We arrived around noon and grabbed two of the last seats at the bar. We ordered a few cold Sam Adams beers and menus... the tap labeled Sam Adams Oktoberfest was serving regular Sam, so they were a bit confused on that one. Otherwise, the staff was knowledgeable about both the food and the sports on pretty much all of the TVs. We ordered two of the steak sandwiches, medium rare for maybe $12 each. They were very tender and tasty and came with great crosscut fries with cheese.

We stayed for about 2 1/2 or 3 hours sipping beers and watching numerous college games including the local Stanford team getting beat up by Notre Dame. Throughout the meal the three waitresses/bartenders did a great job of providing good service and changing channels and keeping customers happy.

Maybe the coolest thing about Old Pro is the mechanical bull in the corner behind the bar.

Pizza My Heart

by Ewingjr98 Written Oct 4, 2008

Pizza My Heart in central Palo Alto is the perfect late night pizza spot, close to all the bars and clubs, as well as the university and many hotels. We arrived around midnight and the huge dining room was packed and the lines at the pizza counter at least 15 deep. Laura had a slice of super veggie for $4 and I had the prima pizza with tomatoes and olives for $3.75. A Diet Coke was $1.75 and a draft beer just $3.25. We stood in line for about 5 minutes, then plopped down in the second last table in the dining room. This late at night, there were at least 100 people hanging out and munching on pizza, 98 percent of them (minus us) appeared to be local university students.

Besides Palo Alto, Pizza My Heart has locations in San Jose, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Willow Glen, Campbell, Saratoga, Blossom Hill, Los Gatos, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey, Emeryville, San Mateo, Mountain View, and Redwood City.

Krung Siam: Excellent Thai Food

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 17, 2005

Entrance

I have only eaten at Krang Siam once and it was excellent. Many people like it though. You may read their comments.

Favorite Dish: Som tom and gai yang (grilled beef and pork too) with sticky rice

La Bodeguita del Medio: Great Cuban Restaurant

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 17, 2005

Entrance

I have only eaten at La Bodeguita del Medio once but it was one of the best meals I ever had. Starting with the appetizer of yuca and plantain chips with black bean salsa through the dessert of Havana bananas (caramelized sweet bananas, walnuts, cinnamon, and vanilla ice cream), everything was delicious and well presented. If you are into that sort of thing, there is a cigar room in the back; I'll pass on that though. You will need to make reservations. Even though it is expensive, it is a very popular place.

Favorite Dish: The fish special with marinated yuca and brussel sprouts with horseradish was wonderful, but the Plato de Vegetales with black bean cakes, malanga mash, maduros, grilled vegetables, red pepper sofrito, and black bean muneta was great too.

Mango Cafe: Get Your Caribbean Food

by AlbuqRay Updated Apr 4, 2011

Entrance

The Mango Cafe has Jamaican and Trinidadian food. My wife and cousin are half Trinidadian so we like this kind of food. Their jerk and curried "joints" (chicken wings) are pretty spicy, so be forewarned. Their chicken pelau was just okay, but maybe I am spoiled by the homemade pelau I get. My cousin liked the hot spicy goat but it was too spicy for me. I got the "Whole Island." It was huge...enough for three meals. The curry chicken patty had a flaky crust and was not too spicy. The curried joints were good also. I did not have room to try one, but their Caribbean smoothies looked great.

Favorite Dish: The curry chicken patty and baked plantain were excellent.

Cool Cafe: Light Meal With Your Art

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 29, 2005

Cool Cafe Patio Overlooks the Rodin Sculptures

If you are on the Stanford campus and want a light meal, try the Cool Cafe at the Cantor Center for Visual Arts. They have good soups, salads and sandwiches. You can eat inside or on the patio. The same owners have the JZ Cool Eatery in downtown Menlo Park.

Favorite Dish: We just had Arnold Palmers (iced tea and lemonade) and enjoyed the beautiful weather on the patio overlooking the Rodin Sculpture Garden. Not bad, huh!

• Museum Visits
    • Hiking and Walking

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Mango Caribbean Restaurant and Bar: Next best thing to being there...

by Lhenne1 Written Oct 5, 2008

Mango is a Caribbean Restaurant that makes you feel as if you've stepped into Jamaica for just a couple of hours. We stopped in on a Friday evening and within thirty minutes, the restaurant was packed. It seemed to be a place where a lot of groups go out for dinner as there were a number of tables pushed together for larger parties.

I enjoyed a cold sangria while Joe ordered the largest Red Stripe I've ever seen. We ordered the Spicy pepper shrimp with fried plantain ($8.50) for an appetizer. The shrimp were small, but seasoned well. The fried plantain was excellent. A small mound of basmati rice held the dish together.

For dinner Joe ordered the jerk chicken ($21) and I selected the marinated oxtail ($14.50). It was a lot of food. There was a generous helping of meat on both plates. In addition, we each had sides of red beans and rice and lightly sauteed veggies. It was too much to finish...but I tried!

To top off the entire dinner, we had great service. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. The entire staff seemed to be very on top of everything and it looked like everyone was having a good time. I would certainly dine here again.

Hours: Open for Lunch and Dinner, 11am to 10pm, Sunday - Wednesday, and 11am to 11pm Thursday - Saturday.

Favorite Dish: Try anything with a side of red beans and rice...and of course a cold sangria!

• hokeypokey's Profile Photo

Miakee's: Miakee's

by hokeypokey Updated Aug 25, 2002

Don´t go there for dinner if you want a romantic or rather quiet one. It´s kind of a party place, people can dance on the tables if they feel like it. It´s just fun

Favorite Dish: Japanese with the best sushi i´ve ever had. Great choices and 'flair'

• davehood's Profile Photo

Palo Alto has an amazing...

by davehood Written Aug 24, 2002

Palo Alto has an amazing number of good restaurants. I like Asian cuisines myself. Try

Jing Jing for Szechuan

Rangoon for Burmese

Janta for Indian
    ...

Now, what was the name of that Thai place?

Outside Asia:

Benbo's for Mediterranean

Instant Answers: Palo Alto

Comments

Palo Alto Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Palo Alto restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Palo Alto sightseeing.