Pasadena Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Pasadena

• VdV's Profile Photo

Saladang & Saladang Song: Great Thai food, veg-friendly, best outdoor dining

by VdV Written Mar 21, 2004

Shredded Apple Salad & Larb Salad (made w/ tofu)

Besides serving delicious Thai food, Saladang Song ("song" means two in Thai, supposedly) has some of the best outdoor dining architecture in all of L.A. There's nothing quite like having great Thai food, and being seated beneath the palm trees, and looking up at the stars (on a non-hazy evening), usually without the need for one of the patio heaters. The concrete "walls" are like concrete lattices, or paper cutouts. The ambience, friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere make for a dining experience to be savored.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu is good! I'll be adding more specifics to this, as I will jot down better notes on my next visit.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo

AMIGO'S Restaurant and Cantina: A surprise awaits!

by pedersdottir Updated Jul 4, 2004

Welcome to AMIGO'S

Colorado Blvd. is the 'main drag' through Pasadena. Along the east end of Colorado the streetscape becomes a bit gritty, a bit industrial. Not exactly a tourist haunt.

From the outside, Amigo's is easy to miss. When you find it, it looks like a dive, except for the charming placque at the door that reads "mi casa es tu casa".

Enter, and you are warmly greeted, promptly seated and oh-so-well treated! The locals that dine here seem to be a mix of CalTech students, middle-aged matrons and Mexicans who love food.

Favorite Dish: For openers Amigo's offers industrial-strength warm taco chips and peppery-delicious salsa. Best item on the menu? Hard to say. The Steak Picado is excellent, the Garlic Shrimp with Avocado is finger-licking good. Chicken Mole and Chicken Ranchero are both fragrant and delicious. Try one, try them all!

Cadillac Margaritas are a specialty of the house. They seemed to be uniformly popular with the student crowd.

• Business Travel

SolyAzul: Mexican in Old Town Pasadena

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

SolyAzul

Walking into this beautifully decorated Mexican restaurant right on the main stretch of Old Town, I had high hopes of getting a good Mexican meal but I have to say that I was very disappointed in the food.

The reviews on this place are mixed, people seem to either love it or hate it, perhaps the kitchen is a bit inconsistent? Or maybe because we were there at an odd time, late Sunday afternoon, the best kitchen staff is not working then.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the crab enchiladas and had to ask the waiter if he brought me the right dish because it didn't seem to contain any crab. It was covered in a very strong red sauce, so strong that I couldn't finish the meager portion they brought. I probably should have sent it back.

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo

Burger Continental: Swrarma and Belly Dancing

by pigletsmom Updated Mar 7, 2005

Entertainment at Burger Continental

This place is strange, but good. They have a very extensive menu with lots of middle Eastern specialties. They have an all-you-can-eat buffet which is quite a good bargain if you're hungry. They sometimes have bellydancers, and they always have a large outdoor patio with heaters. The waiters are bizarre but helpful. Unlimited refills on drinks. I like this place.

Favorite Dish: I like their Gyros and cucumber salad. They also have a wonderful salad bar located in a cramped hallway. Don't ask.

• Business Travel
    • Music

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Green Street Tavern: Gourmet at it's finest with plenty of food!

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 20, 2008

duo of beef

I don't know how to describe the kind of food served here. I would guess Continental cuisine but with a flair. All I know was the food was excellent and have been back several times. Not an extensive menu to choose from but who care if it's good. You're presented with a very nice leather bound menu that immediately exudes some class. Portions were plenty, you won't leave hungry. Personal wines are okay, a $15 corkage fee will apply.

Our second visit was just as enjoyable as our first. The food is exceptional! I didn't mention the ambience which is modern, simple yet the wooden tables gives the restaurant a rich look. The music reminds you of Moby or Enigma.

Favorite Dish: My boyfriend and I shared a salad, it was plenty for the two of us. He ordered the duo of beef. A beef short rib and rib eye steak served upon a puree of potato and another vegetable (?). Both prepared and tasted great! I ordered a pork tenderloin dish with macadamia nuts and mango over a puree of parsnips. OMG, this was great! Too much meat - to huge pieces of pork tenderloin not overcooked. I was stuffed.

The second visit, we shared a beet and arrugula salad with a lighted breaded, warmed goat cheese. It was plenty for the two of us and just delicious! My entree was the paprika seared ahi tuna - ahhh, as much food as they served I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it and yet somehow I managed because it was scrumptious! My better half enjoyed the petite filet served with a potato puree.

The third visit, I ordered the pork chop. It was about 1 1/2 inches thick! I let them cook it at the chef's recommendation which was perfect - not dry but cooked between medium well to well. Very juicy and was served with cubed sweet potatoes with carmelized pecans and greens. My boyfriend ordered the short ribs. It was delicious (I had a bite)! The meat was extremely tender with a rich mushroom sauce served with what seemed like layered potatoes au gratin but it wasn't quite that.

So far, have not been disappointed once! No more room for pictures so I will start a travelogue of food photos on my Pasadena page!

• VdV's Profile Photo

Chado Tea Room: Afternoon Tea-- Over 250 varieties of tea served!

by VdV Updated May 11, 2004

Enjoy afternoon tea at this lovely place...

Chado Tea Room is like an oasis from the busy buzz of crowds in Old Town Pasadena. Located on Raymond Avenue, (just two blocks north of Colorado), Chado Tea Room is a great place to relax with a pot of tea, dine on delectable sandwiches, scones, and tarts, and sample some of the over 250 varieties of tea.

It's also a great place to shop for your Tea Lover friends! Dozens and dozens of porcelain, glass, etc. teacups and teapots...

Stop in and enjoy!

Favorite Dish: I recently went to Chado Tea Room for a friend's bridal shower. We were served afternoon tea, which featured three kinds of sandwiches (turkey/cranberry, egg salad, and an olive tapenade spread), perfect scones served with cream and strawberry or apricot jam, and sweets which included pineapple upside down cake, madeleines, banana walnut cake, lemon cake, chocolate cake, and fresh, sweet strawberries. We each ordered a different kind of tea (over 250 to choose from!)

Also on the menu are a variety of sandwiches, salads, soups, scones and pastries.

Afternoon tea is very reasonable--only $15 per person.

Drop in for a pot of tea, and rest your shopping-weary feet in the company of good friends and great tea!

Bistro de la Gare: A French Bistro in South Pasadena

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 26, 2009

Front of the restaurant

Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's located in a quaint area of South Pasadena at Mission and Meridian. The waiters actually speak French when communicating with one another. Menus items are basic. Quiche, salads, Escargot and burgers, paninis, etc. Dinner menu has some traditional dishes such as steak poivre. I ordered the special of the evening, seared scallops with mushroom risotto. Very tasty!

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Panino Vegetarian. Zucchini, eggplant, tomato, onion and mushrooms on panini bread and grilled. Side dish choices were salad, caesar salad or French fries. It was very good and very hot (temperature)!

• Yubert's Profile Photo

Burger Continental: Belly Dancing & Burgers

by Yubert Updated Jan 20, 2003

A Greek-owned burger joint. The serve hamburgers as well as Greek food.

Favorite Dish: Ask for the Cal-Tech Special. Back when I was going there, it was $1 for a burger, fries, salad and drink. I'm sure the price is higher these days.

Restaurant 561: Dine where Chefs are trained

by GracesTrips Updated Nov 20, 2007

Grilled Ono

561, the Restaurant of the California School of Culinary Arts. Supervised by Instructors and run entirely by students completing their Le Cordon Bleu curriculum training, the restaurant provides the experience of blending classic French techniques and four-point service with the innovative and dynamic influences. Personal wines are welcomed for a $12 corkage fee. My first experience was not memorable but I thought I would give it a second chance and I enjoyed my experience this time.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a tapas (appetizer) of Beet 'n Bleu. Red and gold beets cubed with crumbled blue cheese. It was a tiny portion but it went well with the DuNah Pinot Noir we brought. I ordered the Grilled Ono. This was extremely good! Served with a tiny bit of coconut rice, a round wedge of roasted red pepper and two round wedges of pineapple. The sauce served with the ono (from Hawaii) was hibiscus essence and a five-spice blend (I think that's the Chinese five-spice). Anyway, it was delicious and enough food for me. My boyfriend ordered the Grilled New York Strip. His entree was very good. The steak was not very big but very flavorful. The potatoes served on his plate were like mash potato dumplings, deep fried dusted with a hint of curry powder. Curry tends to be a very strong spice but like I said you can just grasp a hint of it on the potatoes. It was very tasty.

• Luxury Travel

Cha Da Thai: Not traditional Thai

by GracesTrips Updated Feb 24, 2008

What a great surprise! A fairly new restaurant in Old Town Pasadena. So new that they don't have their liquor license yet. Thai food with a little twist. The ambience is nice, even romantic. A water feature on the back wall is also nice to look at. They now have their liquor license but personal wines are welcome - no corkage fee!

Favorite Dish: We shared a rib eye salad. A little spicy but plenty for the two of us. The flavors were great! Then ordered the crispy sea bass, a chicken curry dish and sticky rice. I think there were 3 choices on the rice. I especially liked the sticky rice which comes wrapped in plastic into a woven basket. The fish was very fresh and delicious served with some asparagus. The curry was great, too, not spicy.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Celestino: The Best Italian Cuisine in Pasadena!

by GracesTrips Updated Nov 20, 2007

Osso Buco alla Milanese

This is a wonderful little restaurant, very classy. The food is very expensive when comparing to other Italian restaurants but you will notice immediately why it's expensive. The food is unbelievably good! The staff, are Italians from Italy.

Favorite Dish: I have enjoyed dinner a few times here. The appetizers are very small portions but delicious. Have had the Beef Carpaccio with capers and parmesan cheese and the smoked breast of duck with red and yellow beet salad. The Torellini Di Zucca al Burro e Salvia is fantastico! Tortellini stuffed with pumpkin, cream-butter sage sauce. Yum! I have also had the Mezzelune d'Anatra con Salsa di Funghi, Marscapone e Mertilli. Half-moon ravioli stuffed with duck, mushroom, marscapone and blueberry sauce. Double Yum!

• Luxury Travel

Zankou Chicken: Spit roasted chicken

by Dabs Updated May 4, 2007

Zankou Chicken

I had read about Zankou Chicken's location in Los Angeles so when I spotted the location in Pasadena by accident I decided to stop here and get lunch before heading to Old Town Pasadena. It's on the same street as Old Town but not close enough to walk.

You can take out or dine in, there's a large very casual dining area.

Favorite Dish: Apparently the thing to order here is the spit roasted chicken which comes with pita bread and garlic sauce but it was too much food for me so I ordered a Chicken tarna wrap, delicious marinated, spiced chicken grilled like gyro meat, topped with garlic sauce and tomatoes in a pita. It was very good but I wish I had tried that famous chicken!

Donut Man: Seasonal donuts

by Dabs Updated May 4, 2008

Strawberry donut (2007)

2nd visit April 2008

My husband saw this place written up by LA Weekly food critic Jonathan Gold and said I just had to go try one of their strawberry donuts that was featured in his article on donuts, spring is after all strawberry season. So when I was able to get an early start and arrived in Pasadena before the Bungalow Heaven tour started, I kept going on highway 210 to the nearby suburb of Glendora until I found the modest shack that housed Donut Man. It's a bit of a drive even from Pasadena, so only make the trek if you are a real donut lover!

Favorite Dish: The spread of donuts all looked really tasty but I was here for one reason, the seasonal strawberry donut, a light glazed donut, sliced in two and loaded with sweet strawberries coated with a sweet gooey glaze. No way you could attempt eating this by picking it up, forks are served with the donut. It was worth the drive, just wish I could have brought some home with me but I suspect they have a short shelf life.

I also tried a buttermilk donut and it was dry so I ended up chucking most of it, I'm starting to think that LA just doesn't do buttermilk donuts the way we do here in Chicago which are always moist and heavy. On my 2nd visit I asked the cashier what other donut I should try and she said the apple fritters are very popular so I tried one of those. That was one delicious and weighed about a pound, I was so full after eating those two donuts that I didn't need to eat again until dinner!!!

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Marston's Restaurant: Always Packed!

by GracesTrips Updated Apr 4, 2011

Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everytime we pass by, there are people waiting out front for a table. Especially, at breakfast time. On the weekends, breakfast is served all day long! The prices are reasonable for the food you are served. Not a fancy place, aluminum tables and metal chairs (outside).

Favorite Dish: I ordered a special not on the menu, a barbecue pork salad. Plenty of food, the barbecue pork I thought would be shredded was actually cubed over romaine lettuce with avocado and tomato. The boyfriend ordered a tri tip sandwich that I was able to get a bite of - yummy! Came back and had breakfast. Delish! My boyfriend had the Denver omelet and I had the fantastic French toast! Good stuff!

Ichima: Great Sushi not in Old Town

by GracesTrips Written Nov 12, 2007

Salmon skin hand roll

It's Sunday afternoon and we just want a quick bite to eat, nothing too filling so we can have an enjoyable dinner later on. We stopped to get some sushi. Gee, it's 12 noon and not too many cars in their parking lot. Hmmm, hope it's good. Well, by the time we left, the parking lot was filled up! The restaurant is not too visible from the street, you just have to know it's there. We happen to see a sign that said Sushi and entered the parking lot but had to look for the place. The ambience was great, comfortable and very friendly. Prices were extremely reasonable. I would definitely go back again!

Favorite Dish: Everything we ordered was really good. We had some albacore sushi. The sushi chef suggested topping it with some roasted garlic. I never heard of that before so we said okay and it was fantastic! I ordered a salmon skin hand roll. I like hand rolls because they usually serve them up with crisp fresh vegetables. This one was no exception plus they put a sliver of avocado, yummm! My boyfriend and I shared an Ichima roll. This is contained three types of fish the outer part rice and wrapped in what they called rice paper and topped with avocado. Delicious! My boyfriend is not fond of shell fish (crab, shrimp, scallops - all the good stuff) so he doesn't eat California rolls. This Ichima roll was a great alternative. He also had a spicy tuna handroll. I don't care for the spicy stuff but it looked good!

Instant Answers: Pasadena

Comments

Pasadena Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Pasadena restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pasadena sightseeing.