Pasadena Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Pasadena

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Sugar Fix: Gotta Sweet Tooth?

by Yaqui Written Jan 12, 2014

As we were walking back to our car to move it, we just had to stop here to try it out. Its a little store that makes homemade cupcakes, muffins, cookies, scones, tea cakes, ice cream sandwiches and other various treats. The ice cream sandwich was a with a homemade oakmeal cookie. It was veryt good and so was the coffee.

• Donrogelio's Profile Photo

Fu-Shing: The Best Fire Roasted Garlic Lobster on the Planet

by Donrogelio Written Apr 12, 2006

Located at 2960 East Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA, (Four Blocks East of San Gabriel Blvd.), this is one of the best Szechwan Restaurants in the Los Angeles Area. It has been around for twenty plus years and stood the test of time.

Favorite Dish: I guarantee you will never eat another boiled/steamed lobster after you have dined on Fu-Shing's Fire Roasted Garlic Lobster. It is so rich and tasty. Also, the Chinese Chicken Salad is unique with candied ginger as one of the ingrediients.

• Seniors

Cafe Bizou: Sounds French but not

by GracesTrips Updated Apr 4, 2011

What can I say about this place... It has nice ambience and the food is really good! Personal wines are welcome for a $2 corkage fee! We eat here often but the menu doesn't change. So, if you like what they have, then that's what they are always serving. Making reservations is a good idea if you want to dine on Friday or Saturday evenings.

Favorite Dish: Crispy Potato Scaled Salmon is my favorite. They put very thinly sliced potatoes on the top of the salmon and it's crisp almost like a potato chip but still moist. Cooked spinach and a few mushrooms underneath the salmon along with two very flavorful sauces. I've had the halibut with a vegetable streudel which is also very delicious. The pork tenderloin is also really good. They have an Ahi Tuna salad that is delicious and the Ahi Tuna tartare is also very good.

Crispy Potato Scaled Salmon Beef Stroganoff

Gus's Barbecue: South Pasadenas Best Barbecue est.1946

by Yaqui Written Jan 12, 2014

First of all, do not get this address confused with Pasadena, it is in South Pasadena. So keep that in mind.

This restaurant started in 1946 by Gus, Jack and Mike who had a family owned business in Ohio. The family moved here using the Route 66 that runs right by this historic establishment. They purchased a sleepy hamburger joint and brought their style and flavor of BBQ to the west coast. Chris and John Bicos now own this establishment and bring they're own flare of BBQ flavors from across the country.

We always try to find a new place and my hubby googled and found this place. It has very comfortable seating, neat historic photo's to look and the service was awesome. Don't let my photo of the dinning counter fool you. There is more seating in the very back. The food was good and the price was not bad either. We would come back here if we are every in the area again.

Favorite Dish: We had the BBQ Quesadilla & Beer Braised Texas Brisket

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Corner Bakery Cafe: Great Sandwich Shop and other stuff!

by GracesTrips Updated Jul 6, 2008

This is a chain so you find them here and there in various cities. I do enjoy the sandwiches they make. They also serve pasta dishes and other items. You order at the counter, assigned a number and they bring your food to your table.

Favorite Dish: They have this sandwich that is basically a caprese salad on a french roll. It's really good! All the other sandwiches I've had are great, too.

Beef Stew Bread Bowl Southwestern Roast Beef Sandwich

The Hat: Known for their Pastrami Sandwiches

by GracesTrips Written Nov 4, 2007

Very famous and several of them around. Know for their pastrami sandwiches but also makes burgers. If you plan to eat their and think you can consume an order of fries or an order of onion rings - you can't. Make sure to share because they give you that much. I really like a good pastrami sandwich from time to time. The Hat has "okay" pastrami sandwiches. My favorite is from Alpha Omega in Covina.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Villa Sorriso: Good Italian Food, Nice Ambience!

by GracesTrips Updated Jul 13, 2008

This is a nice restaurant. I've enjoyed both the outdoor and indoor dining. Relatively, nice ambience, not too loud. The food is typical of most Italian restaurants and they have some untraditional Italian food such as Ahi tuna and lamb.

Chicken Marsala with Fettuccini al dente Gilled Halibut Blackened Ahi Tuna with Safron Risotto Grilled New Zealand Rack of Lamb

Cafe Verde: Unusual International Latino Flair

by GracesTrips Written Nov 23, 2007

This is a great, tiny restaurant that is "off the beaten" path in Pasadena. It doesn't look like much on the outside or inside. The tables are too close for comfort but let me tell you, the food is outstanding for the price! They do not have a wine selection - so, bring your own bottle of wine. Try to get there early in the evening if you don't have reservations, otherwise, it's difficult to get seated.

Favorite Dish: Just about everything on the menu is extremely good. One time I ordered a medallions of pork loin dish. It was prepared a bit rare for being pork. So, I sent it back to be cooked more well done. They ended up preparing me a whole new plate. We have been to this restaurant several times now. This particular evening I ordered the special wild bass and my boyfriend ordered the porterhouse steak. Both were just excellent. The sauces is what makes the difference. Everything was great!

Wild bass, wild rice and vegetables Porterhouse steak and mash potatoes

Le Pain Quotidien: A bit of France in Pasadena

by GracesTrips Written Nov 26, 2007

I would call this a bakery first but they also serve a lunch menu. The cafe au lait and food are authentic and delicious but the service was absolutely lousy! I hope it was an isolated experience. I will go again and see how it is. The waitress made us wait a long time and took our drink order first. The cafe au lait didn't come until 10 minutes later. We were already to place our order when she asked us to wait a minute so she could finalize a transaction at another table and clear the dishes at another. After placing our food order, it was another 10 minutes before we were able to eat. Cafe au lait gone but had we ordered another, would we be done eating before it arrives to the table? Anyway, try it out. Like I said, I would try again just to see if we just had a bad waitress.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a roast beef sandwich. The presentation was fun! My boyfriend ordered something with prociutto, goat cheese with an array of sliced breads. It was tasty! Cafe au lait was just like I remember having in Paris!

Roast Beef sandwich

• Donrogelio's Profile Photo

Hutch's BBQ: Jamaican Home Cooking and BBQ

by Donrogelio Written Apr 12, 2006

We stayed at the Westin Hotel next door and ate at Hutch's BBQ. It is in an old house that was saved by the citizens of Pasadena when the area was being rehabbed a ffew years ago. Originally it was a BBQ place, now it has added Jamaican food to the menu. The jerk chicken is good, the portions were generous, and the price was excellent.

Favorite Dish: The babyback ribs

• Study Abroad
    • Seniors

• VdV's Profile Photo

Kahala Hawaiian Grill: Great food--"made with Aloha!"

by VdV Updated May 11, 2004

Newly opened in Pasadena's Lake Ave. district, Kahala Hawaiian Grill serves good down-home Hawaiian food for very reasonable prices.

A casual sit-down/take out venue, the menu items are quite extensive, ranging from the beloved Spam Musubi, to the "O" (Oriental) Chicken Salad, to the humongus Big Island Mix (katsu red snapper filet, butterfly shrimps, teriyaki beef w/ 2 scoops steamed rice and 1 scoop macaroni salad and "salad of the day.") Locals will find the Loco Moco (2 grilled hamburger patties a 2 eggs over easy smothered in gravy, also w/ 2 scoop rice and 1 scoop mac salad), Kalbi short ribs, chicken katsu, and other Island favorites here.

Just one warning: The portions tend to be "huge," so be prepared to either bring home leftovers from lunch, or, if you do finish your meal, you will suffer from the late-afternoon-oh-I-ate-too-much food coma! ;)

Favorite Dish: So far, my favorite is the Teriyaki Beef Burger, which is really not a burger (i.e., ground beef), but a Teriyaki beef sandwich. The "O" Chicken Salad has a tasty dressing, but I don't really like a salad that is primarily iceberg lettuce--but don't get me wrong, it tastes good! The Spam Musubi had good thick, yet perfectly browned (i.e., thick slices, yet grilled to the point where it is a bit crispy on the outside) Spam slices with just enough teriyaki sauce so as not to overwhelm the Spam, rice and nori wrapper.

The menu also includes Kalua Pork, various Island Soft Tacos, and several Big Kahuna Combo Plates. Prices for the combo plates range from $5.99 to $8.29.

Hawaiian food lovers and those new to Island food must give Kahala Hawaiian Grill a try!

Hawaiian food

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

AKA Bistro: Good Food, Nice Ambience, Portabella Fries!

by GracesTrips Updated Dec 13, 2014

This restaurant is now a few years old in Pasadena affiliated with the owners of Bistro 45. The foods is excellent and price reasonably for what you get and the ambience of the restaurant. We brought our own bottle of wine. The corkage was $8. A little less than most restaurants in the area which is $10, $15 even $20. We started with the truffled steak fries (not offered anymore) but try the portabella fries with truffle aioli! The most recent meal with friends we ordered the double cut pork chop - delish! I ordered an amazing sweet pea risotto. The cod was also very moist and prepared deliciously. The ambience was great - a modern, comfortable decor. Our server was very good and the owner was gracious in speaking to us.

Double Cut Pork Chop Sweet Pea Risotto
    • Wine Tasting

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Tutti Gelati: Gelato

by Dabs Updated Nov 14, 2007

The 1st time I tried to find this place I just assumed it was closed since I couldn't locate it but it was still listed when I returned in October 2007 so I had another look and found it just off Union Street in a building marked "Cafe Santorini".

Favorite Dish: The menu is pretty simple, gelato and sorbet. I tried two flavors in a cup, the cinnamon was excellent, the zabaglione (egg custard with port) didn't have a strong enough flavor. You can ask for a taste first to make sure you like it.

I'm sure most of you have tried gelato but if you haven't, you really should, it's denser, richer and creamier than traditional ice cream but oddly has less fat than ice cream. It's more expensive than ice cream but well worth it, this location imports a lot of their ingredients from Italy. Gelato originated in Italy and indeed one of the pleasures of visiting Italy are the gelato stands on every corner.

Tutti Gelati Tutti Gelati

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Bar Celona: Spanish tapas

by Dabs Written Nov 14, 2007

Pasadena restaurants seem to have a rather short life span, several of the places I was looking for were closed and already reopened as something else. After walking up and down Raymond and Colorado several times I finally settled on having Spanish tapas for dinner. Bar Celona has indoor dining, a bar area and several tables set up on the sidewalk where I sat.

You can park for free for 90 minutes around the corner on Raymond Street but the garage fills up on Friday and Saturday nights.

Favorite Dish: I ordered two tapas which was plenty for me, Calamar ala Romana (fried calamari) and Empanadas de Cordero, a puff pastry with lamb and an alioli sauce. Both were OK but nothing that would make me revisit this restaurant.

Bar Celona

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Buca di Peppo: Excellent food, service, and fun!

by Yaqui Updated Jun 7, 2014

This is a chain of restaurants and we've been to the ones in Las Vegas, Nv., Ohio, and here in California. Each one has super service and awesome food. They are a little pricey, but you get your monies worth with the amount of food on your plate. The decor is very entertaining and the staff is always fun! We love coming here!

Instant Answers: Pasadena

Comments

Pasadena Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Pasadena restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pasadena sightseeing.