Rutherford Travel Guide

Fairy Tale Pumpkin Custard

Rutherford Things to Do

• globetrotter_2006's Profile Photo

by globetrotter_2006 Written Dec 10, 2009

Honig is one of the first wineries to utilize dogs to protect their vines. The staff is really friendly. We were treated very nice here.

• globetrotter_2006's Profile Photo

by globetrotter_2006 Updated Dec 10, 2009

This is one of my favorite wines. Make sure you call to make the reservation months ahead. Its hard to visit this great winery.

• Rutherford Hotels

2 Hotels in Rutherford

270 Reviews and Opinions

Rutherford Hotels

Rutherford Restaurants

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Entrance to Auberge du Soleil 4 more images

by riorich55 Updated Mar 29, 2011

When we began planning our 10 day trip out to California in October, November 2010 one of the first things Sue always does is check out where to eat. Often times the choices will change as the trip comes more into focus, but early on in the planning stages Sue knew that she wanted to have dinner at Auberge du Soleil.

We had heard about the restaurant from a couple of different sources. One was from one of the doctors at the hospital where Sue works and the second was from our weekend trip up to Milwaukee in the summer of 2010 when a couple we were sitting across mentioned how the view from the restaurant we were at that night looked a little like their view from a restaurant in Napa Valley. Upon hearing this I told them that Sue and I were going to Napa Valley in a few months and this was the restaurant they were talking about.

We had spent the day first in the Northern Sonoma area where we had stayed the night before in Healdsburg and then wandered our way back down to Napa Valley, touring a couple of wineries and taking in the scenery before our 5:45 p.m. dinner reservation. I had planned for this time because information I had read about before our trip said that if you are seated out doors you could watch the sunset while eating dinner. I thought that might be cool and a little romantic.

When we arrived they were just beginning to set up for a private event about 200 yards away and down the hill from the restaurant. I noticed another photographer taking pictures who looked a little more professional then I was and indeed the night before I found out he had been at another private fund raising event in the area shooting photographs of Neil Young and Stephen Stills.

Anyway to get to the restaurant part of the evening and share the rest of the pictures of all the food we consumed I have decided to do something a little different with this tip.

Favorite Dish: The 5 pictures for the tip are actually of the Front Entrance, Patio by the Front Entrance, Just Inside the Front Entrance, a Table Inside and Our Table and View From Our Outside Table.

Since we were going to spend some $$$$$ for dinner this evening, we decided that we would take pictures for our vacation album and obviously for VT to remember the evening by.

Thus the remaining pictures will be spread out over 2 Travelogues for the Rutherford page. Hopefully by reading this you will glance over and take a peak. Here's a little preview from the Travelogue.

Picture #1 - A little taste compliments of the chef of Melon Soup with Lobster (not fake Lobster, but the real stuff)

Picture #11 - The Strawberries "Romanoff", Muscavado Ice Cream, Sour Cream Panna Cotta with Grand Marnier

Pictures #2 through #10 are also worth noting.

Grand Total for the Evening about $300 and that was only because Sue didn't drink any more wine and I only had 1 glass that I nursed through the Main Course. I'm sure the staff wasn't pleased with that move, but we did order the 4 course menu which was $115 per person including the dessert.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Rutherford

Comments

Rutherford Travel Guide
Map of Rutherford