Know about this? Rate It!
Peaceful now, but not forgotten
I found myself being drawn to this monument, without knowing what it was. It is a monument to those citizens who gave their lives in the Vietnam War, and, personally, I have never seen any other monument like it. I found it rather difficult to walk away from it, and took several photos of the lifelike figures.
Just south of the main shopping area you will find Capitol Park, obviously right next to the State Capitol building. A beautiful place to suddenly find yourself in, and seeminly miles away from the hustle and bustle of the city streets.
I found another surprise here too...
The California Vietnam...
The California Vietnam Veterans Memorial behind the State Capitol is made of 22 shiny black granite panels, engraved with the 5,822 names of California's dead and missing. Bronze figures depict daily life during the war. It's in a beautiful, peaceful park and the setting is a perfect place to sit down, reflect on this war and remember those who died there.
The War Memorial
There are several bronze figures depicting servicemen in Vietnam, some like this one, just sitting, others, obviously wounded, being cared for. All very moving.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Sacramento Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Eugene Hotels
- Florida Keys Hotels
- Playa del Carmen
- Saugatuck Hotels
- Kampung Kuala Kemaman Hotels
- Ireland Off The Beaten Path
- Iowa Off The Beaten Path
- North Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Rome Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Montreal Off The Beaten Path
- South Dakota Off The Beaten Path
- Bangalore Off The Beaten Path
- Asheville Off The Beaten Path
- Israel Off The Beaten Path