Places to eat in Sacramento

Los Jarritos Seating Area

Most Viewed Restaurants in Sacramento

Gunther's: Another Great Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Parlour

by WulfstanTraveller Written Jul 28, 2009

This is another wonderful, old ice cream parlour/soda fountain in Sacramento that makes its own ice cream and has been around for decades. It originally opened in 1940 about 2 blocks from its current location. It moved to the current place in 1949 and the place, inside and out, has barely changed since then, with the same tile, floor, etc., that it had in the old pictures. Ice cream is wonderful and they offer the full range of traditional ice-cream treats as well as sandwiches, etc.

Gunther's Ice Cream, Sacramento Gunther's Ice Cream, Sacramento Gunther's Ice Cream, Sacramento

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Paesanos: Pleasant Evening Dining

by painterdave Written Jun 23, 2009

Paesanos Restaurant in the Sacramento "Handle" District has tables along a shaded street and seating inside. The menu lists the usual salads, and 15 other types of pastas, some hot sandwiches, and typical "gourmet" pizzas for those folks who are into the California types of pizzas. Mezzo, 6 slices runs 10.95, while a grande of 12 slices is 18.95, and those people who like calzone pay 12.95. You are also able to build your own pizza from a giant list of items.
    It is a bit like Italy outside in the evening as Sacramento is quite nice when the heat has dissipated and everyone is so pleased to be out in the fresh air.
    If you have a large party Paesanos would be a good choice, and they also cater to large parties.

Favorite Dish: You can't beat the pizza because you can build your own from a giant list of items.

front of paesanos large dining area more than just pizza dining atmosphere

Jack's Urban Eats: Good, Quick, Inexpensive Food

by WulfstanTraveller Written Dec 29, 2008

This is a simple, stylish diner where one orders food at the counter. It's quick, simple, and very inexpensive and the food is quite good. It is a great place to go for a quick, easy meal and particularly for salads. The salads are large and one can choose the combinations at the counter. The sandwhiches are also good, although we haven't had everything. The prices really are very low for what one gets in quantity and quality.

There are a few in the Sacramento area but the only one we've been to is the one in Midtown Sacramento (the old part of the city just east of Downtown). I also suspect that this is the primary and first one, but I don't know.

For what it is, this place really is great. It's a great place to go with kids, as well. It's also very popular later in the evening.

Jack's Urban Eats, Midtown Sacto Jack's Urban Eats, Midtown Sacto

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe: Great Vietnamese & Chinese food

by bpwarne Updated Aug 20, 2008

We dine at this restaurant often when passing through Sacramento on our way to Tahoe or Shelter Cove. Nice little restaurant with a local neighborhood feel to it. Indoor and outdoor dining. Rather eclectic menu with predominantly Chines and Vietnamese dishes including Pho. Prices are reasonabvle but have gone up recently (Summer, 2008). Harry is a Vietnamese American and very amiable. While in the area, be sure to check out the local neighborhood Asian store just a few doors down. They have Take-away Dim Sum on Friday afternoons, great snack for later.

Favorite Dish: Black bean chicken w/asparagus.

• La Provence Restaurant & Terrace: We had a romantic garden wedding in Roseville!

by TeddyFrye Written Feb 12, 2008

We first dined at La Provence after Mike Dunne of the Sacramento Bee included them in his top 10 Sacramento restaurants back in 2004. Our first experience was good, lunch service was a little slow and it seemed in the middle of nowhere.

We've returned many times and it has become our favorite restaurant in Sacramento/Roseville area. The architecture is beautiful and the place if truly romantic. We would dine on the terrace during the summers and listen to the live jazz and walk home many nights. Upon our engagement, my wife insisted that we be married at La Provence!

We were married during the summer of 2005 in a beautiful sunset garden wedding. The cheese and the wine set a relaxed tone for us and our guests. The reception in front of their main fireplace dining area was amazing. We had 140 people, 20 were children. They did a great child's buffet! I actually caught some of our guests dipping into the fries on the sly. Our meals were a work of art and every meal came out hot and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and warm. We danced the night away in their private room and had a blast. I can't believe how much fun I actually had at my own wedding.

La Provence host's some bridal meets that we've been invited too and I highly recommend them. The last one we met a lot of fellow Roseville residents and ate smores by their outdoor fire-pits and overlooked the new parks that recently opened.

We have continued to dine and have enjoyed the local Roseville artists that do classes of painting and watercolors on the weekends, as well as the monthly wine dinners. Our friends attend their Family Nights and say their children enjoy them very much.

I recommend La Provence to anyone, we've enjoyed many meals, seen many neighbors there and now have plenty of special moments that include La Provence.

Favorite Dish: Their gnocchi is the best. It's prepared with a cream and mushroom sauce with truffle oil. The gnocchi itself if very "pillow'ie" light and melts in your mouth. I typically don't enjoy gnocci as it's too dumpling like. The flavors of the mushrooms and the truffles are perfect for the gnocchi as no taste overides the other, the blend of ingredients is a dream! We used almost two plate of bread to "sop" up the sauce left on the dish after the gnocchi was gone, we couldn't let it go to waste!

• Business Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Vic's Ice Cream Inc: Great Ice Cream, Great Atmosphere

by SJTravel Written Sep 3, 2007

Every time I go to Vic's it is a complete Ice Cream Experience. The black and white checkerboard tiles help to give the feel of a 1950's diner. They serve some food, but it is mostly a homemade ice cream parlor. This place is always so good and always so crowded. I have never been there when there wasn't a line. Most people take their ice cream to go, but I have dined in as well. They make their own ice cream on the premises and have some flavors that aren't as common.

Favorite Dish: I am a huge fan of strawberry ice cream so I have to try it and I loved it here. I have tried other fruit flavored ice creams and also their Muddy Mocha which is delicious as well. I think that their most popular flavor is mint chip, although I have never had it because I am not a fan. But a lot of people order the mint chip and I have heard rave reviews of it being the best some have had.

• Romano's Macaroni Grill: Found Gargage in My Food

by carrie0813 Written Aug 11, 2007

Monday, August 6th, I took my elderly mother and my daughter out to dinner to the Macaroni Grill in Elk Grove, CA. We all three ordered the same meal (Shrimp Portofino). I found an old cigarette butt, leaves, dirt and garbage in all three of our meals. I have launched a complaint with the County Health Dept and have also contacted and reported this to Macaroni Grill's corporate office. I received a call from the district office manager and was told that he visited the restaurant and found that a batch of mushrooms had been dropped while they were delivered which is how the garbage got in our food. This is a lie, the mushrooms were cooked in a sauce yet the garbage was not in the sauce but mixed in the meal and the leaves and dirt were dry and brittle. I truly believe that this was done intentionally. Needless to say I will never eat at this restaurant and frankly, do not feel comfortable eating out at all at this point. I have not been satisfactorily been dealt with in this matter either,if you can believe it, I was argued with about how the garbage arrived in my food. I strongly urge no one to eat at this restaurant.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Pyramid Alehouse: Attention All Beer Lovers!

by Tom_Fields Written Feb 15, 2007

Here, some of the best beers on the West Coast are brewed and served up to many thirsty customers. Since 1984, this brewpub has produced some outstanding, award-winning lagers, bitter ales, stouts, porters, and all kinds of special seasonal beers.

Favorite Dish: I especially liked the pizza. Everything's good here.

The Pyramid Alehouse
    • Beer Tasting

• msaardvark's Profile Photo

Fanny Anne's-Old Sacramento: Good Hamburgers

by msaardvark Updated Jan 11, 2007

When Old Sacramento first opened Fanny Anne's was one of the "In" places to go. It was owned by a couple of pilots who regularly flew out of Sacramento and they collected all kinds of antique items that they hung from the ceilings, and nailed to the walls or placed wherever they could. The drinks were cheap and the hamburgers good. It still gets busy, especially during the summer months, during tourist season. The hamburgers are much better than the fast food kind and a good value. Fanny Anne's has 3 floors and the basement and there is something to look at on each. Friendly, fast service and very casual.

Favorite Dish: Hamburgers with fries and drinks are all that are served here. They used to make a mean Long Island Iced Tea!

• msaardvark's Profile Photo

The Broiler: Wonderful Steaks and Great Service

by msaardvark Written Jan 11, 2007

The Broiler Restuarant is an old established eatery. It was moved from it's original location into a nice new building close to the Capitol. Over the years it has catered to many politicians and locals. The service is wonderful, attentive but not overbearing. The restaurant isn't huge but large enough for big parties and yet intimate. There is also a full bar. The dress attire is mostly business casual, white tableclothes but not "stuffy". It's within walking distance of the Capitol building and the Convention Center. They also serve lunch and there is free parking is available in the evenings in an underground garage. You can make reservations.

Favorite Dish: I haven't had anything that isn't good. The steaks are wonderful as is their dinner salad. I had a lamb dish that was excellent.

• Tapa the world: Spanish deliciousness

by jenny.b Written Jul 7, 2006

This is a Spanish tapas restaurant. There are a few Vegan options and more vegetarian. They have nightly entertainment (a spanish guitarist) and the occasional Flamencos dancers.

Favorite Dish: champignons al ajillo and the patatas bravas

Vic's: Great Home-Made Ice Cream

by WulfstanTraveller Updated Jun 5, 2006

This is a great, old-fashioned ice cream place that has been here since the late 1940s. They serve wonderful home-made ice cream that is among the best I've had anywhere in California. We used to go here frequently when we lived in the area and ever since we left the Sacramento area, we have missed it.

Favorite Dish: All of their ice cream that we have had is great. I recommend their chocolate, though, since they make great chocolate ice cream and it is almost impossible to find chocolate ice cream that's even decent as usually it's terrible. Really good chocolate ice cream is probably my favourite flavour, but since I find most chocolate ice cream to be terrible, I almost never order it, unless, of course, I'm at Vic's.

Vic's Ice Cream, Sacramento

• MinorityCritic's Profile Photo

Kasbah Lounge: If you want to be fed, don't go here!

by MinorityCritic Written May 16, 2006

The ambiance is low light, very romantic, nice bar, seating is great with plush pillows and comfortable. The first time my friends went here, the wine glasses were larger, they gave pita bread and water. This time, the wine glasses were cut in half, no pita bread, no water. We saw the waiter once all night, and we were there for almost 2 hours. There were about 4 guys walking around, but we couldn't get their attention because the music was sooooo loud! We had a glass of wine and The Merguez dish, but we were completely ignored after that. We were going to order 3 more dishes and another glass of wine. Finally we get our bill...and that took another 20 minutes!

Favorite Dish: They only let us have one! The Merguez – $9.50 which is Spicy North African Lamb sausages skewered with fruits.

• Singles

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Woody's Grill & Bar: Great Beer and Burgers

by Rixie Written May 7, 2006

When I went to Sacramento to take a friend to lunch for her birthday, she suggested Woody's, saying that there was a great selection of beers and the best burgers in town. She was right! I wouldn't mind going back the next time I'm in town.

Favorite Dish: I had a hamburger with cheddar cheese, crisp bacon, and avocado, on a sesame seed bun. (The waitress was very good about substituting cheddar for the Swiss that was on the menu.) It was huge -- I had to cut it in half even to get my mouth around it -- and delicious. There was coleslaw on the side, and the half-finished beer you see in the photo was Flat Tire Ale, a very good amber ale.

They also had special Sunday brunch items on the menu, e.g. creative variations on Eggs Benedict.

• Beer Tasting

• mauved's Profile Photo

La Trattoria Bohemia: Excellent and Exotic Combo of Czech and Italian!

by mauved Written Feb 24, 2006

The restaurant is very simple in decor, but neat and sort of minimalist. There is a small bar as well. The waitresses are wonderful, very gracious and really really nice. They were very knowledgeable about the dishes we asked about, and were also very patient with my picky partner:) I wouldn't call it cozy, but it's certainly worth the trip just for the FOOD which is outstanding.

An interesting combination of Czech (Eastern European) and Italian food. They even have what they call European potato salad which is, for those of Eastern European descent, called salatka warzywna in Polish and probably a similar thing in other Slavic languages. I have never found it anywhere else! Outstanding tortellini dish which can be served with some good sausage OR a very light pesto sauce. Great desserts! If you choose the schnitzel you will be fed with enough meat to last you for a week!

Overall, an outstanding place!

Favorite Dish: I had Goulash, with sauerkraut, and a very nice meat sauce (goulash is like a stew) with LOTS of meat in it. It was outstanding. It was spiced just right, with a hint of paprika in it.

Sacramento Hotels

Hyatt Regency Sacramento
La Quinta Inn Sacramento Downtown
Quality Inn Sacramento

Instant Answers: Sacramento

Comments

Sacramento Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sacramento locals.
Map of Sacramento