Crocker Art Museum, Sacramento

Incredible India
  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Crocker Museum of Contemporary

by BruceDunning Written Oct 22, 2013

This art museum holds not a lot for me to look at and view. It is carved up with meeting rooms and open public areas, so not a lot of the buildings have art works. I was disappointed as you note. There is a restaurant of good food, though.
    It is open 10-5 daily and admission is $8. A tour may take 3/4 hour maximum.

View of the building

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

by WulfstanTraveller Written Jan 2, 2009

Sacramento has a nice, interesting art museum that has a range of art displays and exhibitions. The art includes traditional paintings, ceramics, and other similar art as well as cartoon art and the like. As of December 2008, for example, an exhibit is the Art of Warner Bros. Cartoons. The real core of the museum, though, is probably its important collection of California-related art.

It is, in fact, a very old museum for California, having been founded in 1885. It is supposedly the oldest continuously operating art museum in the western United States. The complex itself is also an interesting piece of archiecture, since the museum is housed in the former mansion complex of Judge Edwin Crocker, brother of Big-Four member Charles Crocker. He purchased the hom ein 1868 and subsequently had it remodelled into a larger, ornate Italianate mansion, also adding a second structure adjoining the original mansion to house the family's large art collection. This art collection became the original nucleus of the museum and in 1885 Crocker's widow donated the museum to the City of Sacramento.

• Architecture

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

by Tom_Fields Written Feb 15, 2007

Founded in 1885 by Margaret Crocker, this is the oldest continuously-operating art museum in the Western US. It's the only museum in Sacramento that is accredited by the American Association of Museums.

The building is an Italianate Victorian-style house. It contains hundreds of works by old European masters, American artists, drawings, Asian art, changing exhibits, and more.

The Crocker Art Museum

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

by briantravelman Updated Mar 9, 2015

I've never had any interest in art, and still don't, so normally, you have to drag me kicking and screaming to an art gallery. I usually do not visit them on my own free will. This time however was different. Although I've been to Sacramento many times, until just a month ago, I had no idea this place even existed, and the only reason I came here, was to get some extra credit for my art class. I find art museums extremely boring. I never understood how someone could stare at paintings on the wall for hours. I wasn't too excited about coming here, and was expecting to get bored very quickly. However, to my surprise, I actually found this place to be very interesting, and even amazing. The place is really a combination of an art museum, and an archaeology museum, and that's what saved it for me. If it was just paintings on the wall, I would go crazy after a few minutes of being there, but ancient artifacts from around the world, yes. This I can do. I could easily spend hours looking at these artifacts. Some people consider these things "art", but I prefer the term "archaeological artifact". I will be honest though, even some of the paintings had my interest, which almost never happens. That is saying a lot.

The museum was established in 1885, by Judge Edwin B. Crocker, who owned the buildings and property. The museum is housed in 3 separate facilities. Originally, there was a smaller collection housed in two beautiful mansions, which were purchased and restored by Crocker, in 1868. The mansions are sort of museums in themselves, as they contain the original interior, which looks like something straight of a European castle. In recent years, as the museum's collection grew, a new facility was constructed to house the rest of the pieces, which only opened in 2010.
    This place is HUGE! It contains 3 separate floors, and when I say they are huge, I mean they are huge.
    The museum houses incredible collections from all over the world. Everything from modern California and American art, European fine paintings, ancient artifacts from South Asia (India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan), China, Japan, Southeast Asia, Africa, and Oceania, and even an entire section devoted to ceramic pottery. These are just the main exhibits, but there are also small exhibits from ancient Egypt, Greece, Italy, and Peru. However, the main attraction at the moment, was a collection from Paris, which is on loan at the museum for 3 months.
    Though it contains a few artifacts from Oceania, the first floor is really just a restaurant, gift shop, and ticket counter. I didn't eat at the restaurant, though it smelled good. The gift shop is terrible. Let's just leave it at that. I also read that the first floor houses a natural history museum, and the original mansion library, however, they were closed when we visited. The actual exhibits are housed on the 2nd and 3rd floor. The girl at the ticket counter, actually recommended that we start on the third floor. I didn't understand why, but starting on the third floor means you start with the modern local stuff, and work your way down to the good stuff, saving the best exhibits for last. If you don't want to tour the exhibits yourself, the museum also offers guided tours, which are announced over the intercom.

As you already know, I'm not a huge fan of art museums, but this is one I would highly recommend, as it caters to different types of people. People who are interested in fine art, people like myself, who are interested in ancient archaeological artifacts, and even people who are interested in historic homes. Within a few hours, you can take a trip around the world, without even leaving the city. So no matter what your interests are, there is something here for everyone. And who knows, maybe it will inspire you to go see these pieces in their homeland.
    I don't know if I would rank this the "best" museum I've ever been to, but it definitely ranks up there. And I think it ranks like Top 30 in the entire country. If you're ever in Sacramento, and are interested in this sort of stuff, definitely check this place out. You won't regret it.

There are a few things I will complain about though. The subject of study in my class is African, Oceanic, and North/South American art. Those are the three regions I mainly needed for my class, so I was really disappointed that they only had a very small exhibit on Africa, almost all the Oceanic artifacts were from one region, Irian Jaya, and they had virtually nothing from the ancient Americas, or the Native American tribes. I really wish they would extend some of their collections. It would also be nice if they had some stuff from Latin America, the Middle East, North Africa, the Caribbean, and more from the Mediterranean, Pacific, and Africa.
    Another thing I will complain about is parking. They should really have free parking for museum visitors. We had to pay $5 for an hour of parking, and it took us like 5 minutes to figure out how to purchase a ticket, as you can only pay with a credit card. I've been to a lot of places, and first time in my life, I was forced to pay for parking with a credit card. Very funny.

Because of some weird copyright laws, you are not allowed to photograph the temporary Parisian exhibits, but everything else is okay, as long as you don't use a flash. There are no photo signs in the places, where it's not allowed, though in some areas, they are easy to miss. Video however, is not allowed at all, for some reason.
    Speaking of pictures, I wish I could show you everything this incredible museum has to offer, but unfortunately VT will only let me post so many pictures. So if you want to see this incredible collection yourself, you'll have to come to Sacramento.

Museum Hours
    Tuesday – Sunday 10 AM – 5 PM
    Thursday 10 AM – 9 PM
    Closed Mondays (except Labor Day), Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day

Tickets cost $10 for adults, and $8 for students. Trust me, for what this museum has to offer, and for being allowed to take pictures, that is a STEAL.
    The museum is free on Labor Day, and the third Sunday of each month.
    We spent only an hour in the museum, but you really need at least half a day, if you want to explore the exhibits thoroughly, and read all the information.

Crocker Mansion European Paintings Incredible India Chancay Culture, Peru Irian Jaya
    • Archeology

Instant Answers: Sacramento

Comments

Hotels Near Crocker Art Museum
4.0 out of 5 stars